Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

Shrek 5 would be the best shot of dethroning The Lion King remake as the highest grossing animated film (it's actually a travesty that film is No 1) they would need to decide to either go with the more traditional CGI style of the other Shrek films or the hybrid Puss in Boots 2 style.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

Nay at present, but also won’t be surprised if it happens.  Depends on how low the holds go late Aug into Sept - gonna have to see a few sub-30%s weeks to really target $1B.  Currently at ~$640/$320M 

Are you taking into account that in September they will get back PLF. Imax for Oppy and Dolby for Barbie. I think Barbie is not that much PLF dependent but it wont hurt for sure. 

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Are you taking into account that in September they will get back PLF. Imax for Oppy and Dolby for Barbie. I think Barbie is not that much PLF dependent but it wont hurt for sure. 

Will they? The Nun II and The Creator both have IMAX scheduled for September rn

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

Will they? The Nun II and The Creator both have IMAX scheduled for September rn

Expendables 4 as well. And Equalizer 2. The IMAX schedule is jam packed.

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Not specifically, but that’s baked into the question of how well they hold later in run. Don’t think it matters much for Barbie though, Oppy will have to see 

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Expendables 4 as well. And Equalizer 2. The IMAX schedule is jam packed.

I couldn't find them on the IMAX site so just assumed their run got nixed a la The Marvels

25 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Shrek 5 would be the best shot of dethroning The Lion King remake as the highest grossing animated film (it's actually a travesty that film is No 1) they would need to decide to either go with the more traditional CGI style of the other Shrek films or the hybrid Puss in Boots 2 style.

That’s a big ask. The problem with Shrek is I don’t think it’s maintained its relevancy with younger gens. A good new Shrek would be more of a major millennial event than anything else, unless they figure out how to appeal to kids en masse. 

OG TLK on the other hand is probably the single most timeless film in the last 40+ years as far as with all kids since it came out. Also, I don’t count remake as animated, but not diving into that whole thing again.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I couldn't find them on the IMAX site so just assumed their run got nixed a la The Marvels

The Equalizer still has the trailer up on the IMAX channel (Expendables doesn't, so this is one more reason why The Creator should be moved up a week to September 22). A Haunting in Venice is also getting IMAX.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Equalizer still has the trailer up on the IMAX channel (Expendables doesn't, so this is one more reason why The Creator should be moved up a week to September 22). A Haunting in Venice is also getting IMAX.

I think Creator should move back to October 6 which was its initial date now that Kraven is gone and to give it some space from Saw and Paw Patrol.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

Does Flower Moon get IMAX on its limited opening or wide? Kraven bounced so it could just open wide Oct 6 now with no issues

Probably not, Imax will probably just extend Creator’s run.

Speaking  of October, I mentioned this in another thread but would October 20 potentially work for The Marvels?

6 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Speaking  of October, I mentioned this in another thread but would October 20 potentially work for The Marvels?

It would lose IMAX again though. October 13 makes sense since it'd get at least a week, and it also gives Disney 2 weeks for The Creator 

edit: with Kraven gone, Flower Moon going wide on Oct 6 would work really well for The Marvels favor - gives it 2 weeks of IMAX too

Edited by TMP