Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

16 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

How often do international numbers get updated?

Curious where Oppenheimer's at now.

With today’s business, Christopher Nolan’s epic Oppenheimer will hit yet another benchmark, crossing $600M at the global box office. The latest milestone comes just 23 days into release.

Adding $7.7M on Wednesday from 78 overseas markets, the Universal title’s international box office cume through yesterday is $350.7M. The worldwide total is $593.5M. Markets still to release include Vietnam (today) and Italy, Korea and China through the rest of August.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously have no idea how Avatar franchise achieved some crazy high BO and digital sales, but somehow generate little internet phenomenon as compared to other mega-franchise like HP, SW and Marvel or even DC. Do people just quietly liking Avatar franchise?  

Amazing how much money you can make when you don’t go straight to Disney+ from cinemas. 
Who would have thought it!! 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Purely anecdotal, I feel like Avatar's one of those movies most people around me watched because it's a spectacle, but it's not exactly anyone's favourite movie. Again, anecdotal, I am aware that it has a huge fanbase. Personally I never watched it because I am just not interested in blue people pocahontas.  

you should. It’s amazing. As is Way of Water. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

With today’s business, Christopher Nolan’s epic Oppenheimer will hit yet another benchmark, crossing $600M at the global box office. The latest milestone comes just 23 days into release.

Adding $7.7M on Wednesday from 78 overseas markets, the Universal title’s international box office cume through yesterday is $350.7M. The worldwide total is $593.5M. Markets still to release include Vietnam (today) and Italy, Korea and China through the rest of August.

$600M worldwide is amazing, especially this early in the movie’s run. Also matched or beat Interstellar’s inflation-adjusted $240M domestic total on Wednesday. Nice!

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$600M worldwide is amazing, especially this early in the movie’s run. Also matched or beat Interstellar’s inflation-adjusted $240M domestic total on Wednesday. Nice!

I think 850M worldwide is a lock.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I seriously have no idea how Avatar franchise achieved some crazy high BO and digital sales, but somehow generate little internet phenomenon as compared to other mega-franchise like HP, SW and Marvel or even DC. Do people just quietly liking Avatar franchise?  

Amazing! Cameron ended Feige after all.

Edited by Jiffy

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

A good example as to why we can’t judge a lot of movies just by their budget and box office performance. Yes, this is the extreme, but big films can easily make 100-200 million in profits just from digital sales and VOD, and then there are other ancillaries like TV/streaming rights down the road, etc that will be brining in money for decades. 

A film the MI7 is a perfect example. Sure, it will finish will about 700 million WW, but it’s a good film and the franchise is popular WW. It’s got lots of digital $$ ahead of it along with other ancillaries. 

Honestly, I don't know how Avatar 2 is a good example for your point. Avatar 2 was extremely successful in box office.

In any case, it only shows that pretty big success in box office tend to be pretty big success for other ancillaries.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

A2 beating EG record in digital/rental sales is insane to me. It’s one thing for these movies to do well theatrically, that’s what they’re made for. Another entirely for them to be breaking records outside of the box office. A2 is yet another outright phenomenon from Cameron, there is no way around it at this point. Especially when you consider the drastically different landscape for Hollywood in Japan and China today means it could have maybe even beaten the WW box office record if those two markets were what they once were for Hollywood.

It’s just insane bc I don’t think anyone is wrong for saying the first film left no real pop culture footprint for well over a decade. It kinda didn’t. Then on top of that, A2 didn’t have some kind of industry changing hook like A1’s 3D and visuals that were beyond what anyone had seen before. Sure visuals are still boundary pushing for A2, but people are used to insane visuals these days from CGI in a way they weren’t with A1.

The fact that it’s doing these kind of numbers outside of the theater is just further proof that it might not even be the visuals that we’re driving the success so much. People just outright want to see this movie I guess and Cameron has yet again made one of the biggest cinematic successes ever. It’s all mind blowing really. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I try my best to judge a movie after I have seen it.

Not every person like all movie genres. 

Honestly, I've never been interested in Avatar 2, since the visual seems to be the more interesting aspect of the movie.

• Like 1

A2 didn’t even get rave reviews to boost it. Quite the opposite, reviews were about as uneventful as it gets. In many ways A2 in theory was perfectly set up to be this massive implosion from the first film’s success, and the entire opposite is what actually happened and we ended up with Cameron somehow doing it again. Basically we need a movie from him that everyone expects is going to be a juggernaut, and then it will probably flop lol.