Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

7 hours ago, BlitheringEdiot said:

On the topic of Avatar, this is more of a personal thing, I loved, loved Avatar 1, I saw it around 5 times in theatres, but Avatar 2 didn't grab me at all and I was very disappointed with it, it didn't feel epic or grandiose to me at all, I was impressed by the visual effects however, they were leaps and bounds over everything coming out now and even Avatar 1, I watched Avatar 1 re release in IMAX just a couple months before Avatar 2 and Avatar 2 just blew it out of the water (pun intended) in terms of CGI and visual effects. I am hoping Avatar 3 feels more epic, something like the final battle of Avatar 1 or the destruction of the home tree scene. 

I have a feeling if Avatar 3 has larger scale than 2 it is probably going to increase domestically. 

I feel similarly even though I liked A2 a lot in the theater and knew legs were coming. But I don’t think as a movie it’s all that good, like I’ve always thought the first one was. This time it did feel all about the VFX and that’s kinda it. 

• Like 1

From a The Wrap article :22% of Barbie audience returned for the First time after covid.

(The no needed shade at Avatar too)

The numbers come from The Quorum (as first reported by IndieWire) which stated that 11% of those who saw “Barbie” had not been to a movie theater since before the pandemic, while another 11% couldn’t recall the last time they had been to a movie theater, which probably means before the pandemic. (Or maybe they saw “Avatar: The Way of Water” at Christmas but forgot about it. It happens!)

Edited by vale9001

7 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Seems like Oppenheimer's going to lose a lot of screens the next two weeks. Wonder how much that will affect the drops.

Nah. It should be fine. We most probably dont even have a 30m opener. So Barbie and Oppy which will be Top 2 this weekend would not be the ones to take big hits. It will have sufficient screens/shows for the gross. 

• Like 1