Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

On 8/9/2023 at 10:13 PM, tawasal said:

I believe it still great number. This is how I see the rest of the week playing out.

$4,363,530  
$3,765,726  -13.70%
$3,554,846 -5.60%
$5,038,994 +41.75%
$6,792,564 +34.8%
$5,739,716 -15.50%

$17,571,274 -39.7% weekend drop.

Got 2 days very close so far, calculating from average drops so far. 

28 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

$1M CLUB: THURSDAY

1. BARBIE ($7.1M)

2. OPPENHEIMER ($3.6M)

3. TMNT ($2.7M)

4. MEG 2 ($2.1M)

5. HAUNTED MANSION ($1M)

If TMNT follows Super Pets's second weekend trajectory, that would lead to about a 13.3M weekend from that 2.7. Not sure if that totally tracks however with it opening on a Wednesday.

27 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Barbie will pass TRoS this weekend but will need a very spectacular hold to pass RO and TDK, otherwise both are going down early next week.

Oppenheimer will pass The Hangover Part II on Saturday to climb a notch on the all-time R-rated list. After that, the original Hangover will fall in about 7-10 days.

A bit Off-Topic but i always thought it speaks volumes about how Disney handeled the Sequel Trilogy that Episode IX grossed less than Rogue One domestically.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Thank God she didn't...she doesn't have a fraction of the acting chops of Robbie (and I like Gadot - she has a charming screen presence).

Margot was the perfect a- list actress for the role. 

Like Nicole Kidman would have been perfect 15 20 years ago. Gadot really doesn't give stereotipe Barbie vibes. And that of course was essential to sell the movie. 

21 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

A good example as to why we can’t judge a lot of movies just by their budget and box office performance. Yes, this is the extreme, but big films can easily make 100-200 million in profits just from digital sales and VOD, and then there are other ancillaries like TV/streaming rights down the road, etc that will be brining in money for decades. 

A film the MI7 is a perfect example. Sure, it will finish will about 700 million WW, but it’s a good film and the franchise is popular WW. It’s got lots of digital $$ ahead of it along with other ancillaries. 

I agree although MI7 will end at like $600M more like.

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Honestly i'm feeling for the Avatar saga something similar to the last Star wars trilogy. Movie will stay very big cause they are really global and huge in Asia, but Avatar 2 will stay as the peak of all these upcoming sequels.

Avatar has been one of the more balanced global hit. Of course you can find one or two less performing country but on the regional level, the top performing countries is very diverse from different region across NA, European , Asia and Latin. Unlike Marvel which tend to underperform in Euro, SW meh number in Asia, FF or 007fatigue in NA, or in Mario/Barbie case, Asia is also the less performing region. 

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Oppenheimer will pass The Hangover Part II on Saturday to climb a notch on the all-time R-rated list. After that, the original Hangover will fall in about 7-10 days.

Oppenheimer has a decent shot at entering the top 5. It’ll pass Matrix: Reloaded soon after Hangover, and from that point on Deadpool 2 sits at $324.6m, and It at $328.9m. Joker isn’t really that far up the ladder, with $335.5m at #4. It all depends on late legs, this weekend looks like $18m-ish, and from there it depends on how it can handle when GT and BB take IMAX screens.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

Avatar has been one of the more balanced global hit. Of course you can find one or two less performing country but on the regional level, the top performing countries is very diverse from different region across NA, European , Asia and Latin. Unlike Marvel which tend to underperform in Euro, SW meh number in Asia, FF or 007fatigue in NA, or in Mario/Barbie case, Asia is also the less performing region. 

yeah i know, this is why i'm saying it can still make near to 2B. Just imo next chapter will make less money in almost every country.

As i said one of the reason also is 50-70% of Avatar 2 box office, depens on countries, was 3D, and this time i think more people will pass on it cause i read really a lot of people being disappointed with the 3D. I mean no really disappointed cause it was bad but they don't feel was different from the past and we know people now are tired by it. 

Edited by vale9001