Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s not making a judgement, an up or down quality assessment, but knowing one’s taste, particularly when it involves a commitment of time and money. Something can be of “good” quality and still unappealing to an individual

I’ve seen enough movies in my life to have a good idea of what I will or won’t enjoy without having to sit through the entire viewing

Fair point. It's just that I have seen good movies that I didn't expect would be good and vice versa. So I make it to a point I see them. For example, I was not a fan of horror movies. I thought they were cheesy and verged on being a comedy because of how stupid the plots and scenes could be. On the week of its release, I gave THE CONJURING a chance and was pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, I gave CABIN IN THE WOODS the benefit of the doubt since it got relatively good reviews. I didn't like it at all. 😅

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

A2 didn’t even get rave reviews to boost it. Quite the opposite, reviews were about as uneventful as it gets. In many ways A2 in theory was perfectly set up to be this massive implosion from the first film’s success, and the entire opposite is what actually happened and we ended up with Cameron somehow doing it again. Basically we need a movie from him that everyone expects is going to be a juggernaut, and then it will probably flop lol. 

It's like regular people aren't terminally online and comment on a box office forum. If they are interested in something they go and that's it. End of story

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, M37 said:

It’s not making a judgement, an up or down quality assessment, but knowing one’s taste, particularly when it involves a commitment of time and money. Something can be of “good” quality and still unappealing to an individual

I’ve seen enough movies in my life to have a good idea of what I will or won’t enjoy without having to sit through the entire viewing

Yep. Basically this. I never said Avatar was bad or anything, but I know myself enough to know this is something I don't like. I admire Cameron for his achievements and I did like Titanic when I was young, but I am not going to waste my time watching something I won't like.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

DR1 has almost acted more like it’s a sequel to MI3 in terms of worldwide gross than it has a sequel to the last 3 films. And that’s with 20 years of inflation over 3. Certainly not a good performance by any stretch. 

MI3 at least made money even if not theatrically , dvd and rental market seem to create hits out of underperformers then

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Gran Turismo already has sold out shows for tonight in a few theaters. Another movie suffering from the lack of screen space. Very curious to see how much more it can sell in the few places that gave it bigger screens.

Fairly positive this one will surprise. The game is really popular here lol

29 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

So Nolan could make 180m from Oppenheimer. Between his previous earnings and the rate at which he makes big movies it’s not impossible that he’ll become a billionaire at some point. 

I remember someone said he should open his own IMAX theatre playing his own films all day. He totally should. It would be on my travel bucket list.

• Like 3

On the topic of Avatar, this is more of a personal thing, I loved, loved Avatar 1, I saw it around 5 times in theatres, but Avatar 2 didn't grab me at all and I was very disappointed with it, it didn't feel epic or grandiose to me at all, I was impressed by the visual effects however, they were leaps and bounds over everything coming out now and even Avatar 1, I watched Avatar 1 re release in IMAX just a couple months before Avatar 2 and Avatar 2 just blew it out of the water (pun intended) in terms of CGI and visual effects. I am hoping Avatar 3 feels more epic, something like the final battle of Avatar 1 or the destruction of the home tree scene. 

I have a feeling if Avatar 3 has larger scale than 2 it is probably going to increase domestically. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

So Nolan could make 180m from Oppenheimer. Between his previous earnings and the rate at which he makes big movies it’s not impossible that he’ll become a billionaire at some point. 

Amazing. 

How much will Robbie make from Barbie?