filmlover

Best Original Song 2023

There's a lot of exciting possible choices with the Barbie soundtrack. "Dance the Night" is a big hit, Dua Lipa would obviously perform, and it would make for a very fun and colorful performance (the opening number to the ceremony for sure if it's nominated), but "What Was I Made For?" is the most emotional tune and the Academy tends to go for those. As entertaining as it would be, a lot of the delights of the "I'm Just Ken" number in the movie come from Gosling's total commitment to it all and it's unlikely he would perform after previously passing on the La La Land number that year, although I could totally see them giving the performance to Simu Liu or any of the other Kens (like Kingsley Ben-Adir, who will hopefully be a bigger name by then if the Bob Marley biopic is a hit) to make it up to them for having barely anything to do in the movie.

Although we need to assemble the prayer circle already to prevent another unnecessary Diane Warren nomination for a movie no one cares about. It's already tough to imagine them carving out a place for that awful 80 for Brady tune she wrote.

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Would be weird if Elemental got in for song when Turning Red was snubbed but I wouldn't mind at this point.

The Turning Red songs were parodies of the Backstreet Boys/NSYNC fluff that the Academy wanted nothing to do with back in their late 90s/early aughts heyday. "Steal the Show" is a delightful song and would make for another fun performance, but a nomination all depends on what the competition looks like by the end of the year.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Turning Red songs were parodies of the Backstreet Boys/NSYNC fluff that the Academy wanted nothing to do with back in their late 90s/early aughts heyday. "Steal the Show" is a delightful song and would make for another fun performance, but a nomination all depends on what the competition looks like by the end of the year.

yeah but they were written by Billie Eilish and Finneas whom the Academy did seem to want to be buddies with. The Turning Red songs I mean.

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG) SHORTLIST
It Never Went Away” from “American Symphony”
Dear Alien (Who Art In Heaven)” from “Asteroid City”
Dance The Night” from “Barbie”
I’m Just Ken” from “Barbie”
What Was I Made For?” from “Barbie”
Keep It Movin’” from “The Color Purple”
Superpower (I)” from “The Color Purple”
The Fire Inside” from “Flamin’ Hot”
High Life” from “Flora and Son”
Meet in The Middle” from “Flora and Son”
Can’t Catch Me Now” from “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”
Wahzhazhe (A Song For My People)” from “Killers of the Flower Moon”
Quiet Eyes” from “Past Lives”
Road To Freedom” from “Rustin”
Am I Dreaming” from “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

33 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Can’t Catch Me Now” from “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”

33 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Am I Dreaming” from “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

I need to revisit the rules because I thought original song had to be in the movie, not just the credits.

Also, wow, nothing from Little Mermaid either. Hoped for at least For The First Time.

Edited by Morieris

14 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I need to revisit the rules because I thought original song had to be in the movie, not just the credits.

Also, wow, nothing from Little Mermaid either. Hoped for at least For The First Time.

I've read the rules some years ago and credits songs can be nominated as long as they are the first thing that sound after thelast frame of movie. Let's say a movie features 2 original songs during credits, Song 1 can be nominated, while Song 2 can't.

An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. There must be a clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition (not necessarily visually presented) of both lyric and melody, used in the body of the motion picture or as the first music cue in the end credits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1