kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

43 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

What kind of storylines would you like to see in superheroes movies to make them more intriguing?

It certainly feels like they've ran out of ideas because except for the Flash and Infinity War/Endgame, it's the same movie 100 times over. 

The same thing I wanted to see since this craze started, the supervillain brawl.  Something like The Justice League vs The Legion of Doom or Justice Society vs The Injustice Society.  Not the team of superheroes fights one guy powerful enough to beat them, certainly not they fight a disposable army.  If you have 7ish superheroes on the team then they fight 7ish supervillains on the team.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I didn't know this about no white and black love interests for Will but makes a lot of sense.

BTW Michelle Yeoh would have killed it as Mal. Also, is losing Cotillard in TDKR a loss? XP We may have also gotten a racially accurate Al Ghul for once.

Oh I love that idea!

I guess that was still the era when Hollywood could get away with casting Euro actors as Asian characters, because it was a plot twist. Did "Benedict Cumberbatch totally isn't Khan, we swear!" put an end to that?

I saw Blue Beetle ads on TV and the trailer before many other movies, but I don't know how it fared on TikTok or other platforms. There was just an article saying that social media posts from stars do so much more for awareness than ads, so the strike was really hurting movies released since it began. 

I thought the way movie advertising worked is that the studio sets aside a certain amount for the year and it's divvied up between the different films. If WB spent most of the summer money on The Flash and Barbie, well, something was going to draw the short straw, so why not the former HBO Max original that might be jettisoned from the new DC anyway? Over at Universal they surrounded Oppenheimer with Ruby Gillman and Voyage of the Demeter, so the lack of advertising on those two doesn't stand out quite as much.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Outside of Black Panther and Captain Marvel has that strategy ever worked?

Yes. Many a time in fact. Crazy Rich Asians, Coco, Girls Trip, Shang-Chi, Moana, Wonder Woman, the recent Disney Star Wars movies, Halle's Little Mermaid (no, I don't care about its overseas box office), Spider-Verse. And if we add in TV, we have Glee, Empire, Never Have I Ever, Pose, and tons more.

Some pushed it more than others, but these have all been parts of their marketing strategy. And it's a fantastic tool, considering that moviegoing, at least here in the States, is the most diverse and non-white it has ever been. So yeah. It's worked a lot.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Eric Reyes said:

Yes. Many a time in fact. Crazy Rich Asians, Coco, Girls Trip, Shang-Chi, Moana, Wonder Woman, the recent Disney Star Wars movies, Halle's Little Mermaid (no, I don't care about its overseas box office), Spider-Verse. And if we add in TV, we have Glee, Empire, Never Have I Ever, Pose, and tons more.

Some pushed it more than others, but these have all been parts of their marketing strategy. And it's a fantastic tool, considering that moviegoing, at least here in the States, is the most diverse and non-white it has ever been. So yeah. It's worked a lot.

I don't think any of those did well because of representation. If Rey was a man or Finn was white I don't think TFA would have done less than it did. Also some of those are CBMs which used to be pretty much infallible financially. For Moana, there are less than 1 million Polynesians worldwide so that obviously wasn't a major cause of it's success.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

This kind of proves that Latinos don't really care about representation right? At least just not "we're supporting anything that represents us" unless it's in idk a Marvel movie or something.

I've understood Latinos in USA really care about representation.

Latinos in Latin America countries won't care, because they don't exactly lack representation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Doctor Strange came out 3 years later

That wasn't a plot twist, though, they just put a bald cap on Tilda Swinton rather than lose out on the Chinese market. The writers said that casting someone Asian as The Ancient One would've been stereotypical in one way or another. Uh huh...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

31 minutes ago, Eric Reyes said:

I mean, The Little Mermaid doesn't reach 300M at domestic market. I doubt Disney considered it worked.

Making the audience more diverse only would be considered as "worked" if the new number of people is bigger than the mainly white audience.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

which you can see in the demographic breakdown for a film like Snake Eyes.

I prefer TV series more in terms of Asian identification. Like Kim's Convenience, Fresh Off the Boat and Nora From Queen's. I did like Crazy Rich Asians and EEAAO. 

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

What kind of storylines would you like to see in superheroes movies to make them more intriguing?

It certainly feels like they've ran out of ideas because except for the Flash and Infinity War/Endgame, it's the same movie 100 times over. 

The Watchmen HBO show was the most exciting superhero thing in years, but seems to have left no impact on the superhero genre but instead resulted in every third big cable show having a Lindelovian structure now

Form the diversity demos, Mario has 41% Latin audience, and Atsv has 34% Latin audience, so single Latin audience can provide 43m-60m opening box office, Latin audience has huge market potential, when they interested, T7 & BB though benefited from a latin audience, but apparently they weren't as interested in them as Mario and Atsv.

2 hours ago, El Gato said:

Yeah make a strong Batman film, introduce Robin (spinoff into Nightwing), introduce a new Robin (spinoff into Red Hood), introduce Batgirl (spin off into a REAL version of BOP), build a Suicide Squad off of the captured Batman villains in Arkham… Joker and Harley could even have their own Bonnie and Clyde type of film and Catwoman could get a proper film this time! Plus a Batman Beyond film with Keaton and Pfeifer returning…  

You can still do Superman and Wonder Woman at lower budgets and I’d try a Teen Titans film as well but after the performances of Green Lantern, Flash, Shazam, Blue Beetle, Black Adam, Constantine…etc the B-listers and below should be off the bench. No more shared universes either 

Speak of Robin, I have always secretly wanted a sequel with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's version.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't think any of those did well because of representation. If Rey was a man or Finn was white I don't think TFA would have done less than it did. Also some of those are CBMs which used to be pretty much infallible financially. For Moana, there are less than 1 million Polynesians worldwide so that obviously wasn't a major cause of it's success.

Out of all those CRA is the only one I buy. But I don't recall the marketing being like Bros or anything. Marketing of that pointed towards a fun movie. AND it only appealed to Asian-Americans, not Asians in Asian countries.

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Out of all those CRA is the only one I buy. But I don't recall the marketing being like Bros or anything. Marketing of that pointed towards a fun movie. AND it only appealed to Asian-Americans, not Asians in Asian countries.

It's a typical copy & paste Korean drama storyline, which are often overdone, condensed into a single 2 hour movie without the touch. 

Coco is obviously the best movie out of the bunch. 

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 1