kayumanggi

Weekdays | Aug 21 - 24 | Thursday Numbers | 2.29M BARBIE | 1.35M BLUE BEETLE | 1.28M OPPENHEIMER

2 minutes ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Wasn't the reason it moved so that it'd have more time with the screens being further away from Oppenheimer?

That was GT. Which is still getting the IMAX screens. But I'd be shocked if Oppie didn't keep at least a showing per day in IMAX.

2 minutes ago, XXR Was Right said:

So what’s the O/U for Blue Beetle’s 2nd weekend? $10M?

Cinama Day will help Beetle I guess. The problem is the OW was so low there is no way it can make a comeback. It has also been rejected overseas, even by the latino audience that was suppose to show up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Cinama Day will help Beetle I guess. The problem is the OW was so low there is no way it can make a comeback. It has also been rejected overseas, even by the latino audience that was suppose to show up.

Ahh yea I forgot about Cinema Day. So maybe a 50-55% drop instead of 60-65%.

I feel like we’ve gotten to a weird place with how Hollywood goes about representation. Movies now seem to have a marketing angle of being “important” due to representation, and hence audiences need to go out and see them to ensure further representation for some group, but this makes these movies feel like chores or homework rather than the representation being an organic element. It also causes problems for critics who criticize these movies. A lot of men who didn’t like Barbie got called sexist when there are clearly script issues a mile wide. I also didn’t like Shang-Chi but not because I don’t want Asian representation. 

• Like 2

I think the biggest problem here (and I say this as a latino) is that american people, often like Karens do, think Latinos are all the same group. "Let's make a movie for them", but wait, are you targeting mexicans (a country with 127M people), brazilians (with a population of 215M), or colombians, or argentinians, or cubans? These nationalities are ALL different from each other with unique culture, history, and traditions. It's like making a movie for europeans and expecting french, italians, and germans to feel like they're all the same people. And THEY'RE NOT. So, yeah, there's that.

Encanto and Coco did it right. One movie for colombians and one for mexicans. And they were excellent.

BB marketing doesn't reflect what or who is representing. 

Just watch this trailer and tell me what's "Latino" about it outside of "cabrón" and one random grandma at the end, lol

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

I think the biggest problem here (and I say this as a latino) is that american people, often like Karens do, think Latinos are all the same group. "Let's make a movie for them", but wait, are you targeting mexicans (a country with 127M people), brazilians (with a population of 215M), or colombians, or argentinians, or cubans? These nationalities are ALL different from each other with unique culture, history, and traditions. It's like making a movie for europeans and expecting french, italians, and germans to feel like they're all the same people. And THEY'RE NOT. So, yeah, there's that.

Encanto and Coco did it right. One movie for colombians and one for mexicans. And they were excellent.

BB marketing doesn't reflect what or who is representing. 

Just watch this trailer and tell me what's "Latino" about it outside of "cabrón" and one random grandma at the end, lol

To be fair, Blue Beetle representation is supposeldy for Latinos communities inside USA (not people in Latin American countries).

I don't know whether the community of different Latin American cultures is really so amalgamated in USA, but it seems many Americans seems to believe that's the case.

PS: This reminds me of a trailer for the Disney animated series "Primos" that has really been criticized in Latin American countries, but it supposedly represents the Latino experience in USA.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 4

Maybe latinos women are watching Barbie and opp and latinos men are watching Barbie and opp. As most asian american women are more interested in Barbie than for Past lives for sure. 

Maybe movies with not white people should exist because these people exist and they should be in movies too (not as It's almost a marketising tool) and people from a specific target shouldn't feel obligated to watch them even if they don't know or care about what a Blue beetle is. 

😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I think the biggest problem here (and I say this as a latino) is that american people, often like Karens do, think Latinos are all the same group. "Let's make a movie for them", but wait, are you targeting mexicans (a country with 127M people), brazilians (with a population of 215M)

What they did for Brazil with this movie was to basically cast our hottest young actress in it(as the love interest I think?) and hope for the best, which actually probably helped this movie a bit, it seems like it was one of the top international markets for it and hey, it opened better than Shazam 2 anyway...

40 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I feel like we’ve gotten to a weird place with how Hollywood goes about representation. Movies now seem to have a marketing angle of being “important” due to representation, and hence audiences need to go out and see them to ensure further representation for some group, but this makes these movies feel like chores or homework rather than the representation being an organic element. It also causes problems for critics who criticize these movies. A lot of men who didn’t like Barbie got called sexist when there are clearly script issues a mile wide. I also didn’t like Shang-Chi but not because I don’t want Asian representation. 

I remember how a review for Turning Red was pulled offline because accusations of racism and sexism.

I don't even agree with this review (it was pretty reductive to say the appeal of the movie is limited). However, it's clear that his opinion started because he did not connect with the film, I do not think we could punish him for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Maybe latinos women are watching Barbie and opp and latinos men are watching Barbie and opp. As most asian american women are more interested in Barbie than for Past lives for sure. 

Maybe movies with not white people should exist because these people exist and they should be in movies too (not as It's almost a marketising tool) and people from a specific target shouldn't feel obligated to watch them even if they don't know or care about what a Blue beetle is. 

😇

Of course, that's the reason why movies with non-white people should exist.

However, we know Hollywood. Studios are using representation in an attempt to earn good publicity and money.

There are surely people who really care about representation in Hollywood, but top executives probably only care about profiting from it.

• Like 2

I'm surprised that people are so surprised Blue Beetle is flopping, this was one of the most obvious flops in recent history. It was seen from a lightyear away.

The Flash burnt away the last atom of any semblance of goodwill the DCEU had from audiences.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Of course, that's the reason why movies with non-white people should exist.

However, we know Hollywood. Studios are using representation in an attempt to earn good publicity and money.

There are surely people who really care about representation in Hollywood, but top executives probably only care about profiting from it.

They saw Wonder Woman's numbers and the discourse around it and then they saw Black Panther's numbers and the discourse around it. Now there's Barbie as well.

I can just imagine the course correction in their quarterly plans every time a big event movie like that happens, trying to imitate its financial success.

Seems like last year story with Bros. We have every year hundreds of new movies, TV series and stories in general about lgbqt people , but somehow that movie with things seen already million times was "the thing you have to see or you are a gay doesn't care about gay representation". Representation aka you give me money to me 😄

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I'm surprised that people are so surprised Blue Beetle is flopping, this was one of the most obvious flops in recent history. It was seen from a lightyear away.

The Flash burnt away the last atom of any semblance of goodwill the DCEU had from audiences.

I don't think anyone was surprised. People did get a little more hopeful with the reviews, and I guess they were surprisingly positive considering expectations after The lash, but nobody was really surprised in the end with its box office numbers, just a bit sad perhaps.

What I am really curious about is how Aquaman 2 will do, considering everything surrounding it, from the amazing success of the first, to the co-lead, to the implosion of its universe, to the flops coming before it, to the whispers of its possibly shaky quality, and to the timing of the strikes. So much happening around it, I find it really hard to predict what will happen to it.