RyneOh1040

Taylor Swift || The Eras Tour Concert Film - October 13, 2023 | Comes to Disney+ w/ 5 bonus songs

49 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

To any Swifties out there, why is there so little advertising of it in the week leading up to its release even as we watch the pace not picking up? Any theories? It just feels like money left on the table.

Cause they're already ok even with 150M domestic Total on a 10M budget? 😄

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

To any Swifties out there, why is there so little advertising of it in the week leading up to its release even as we watch the pace not picking up? Any theories? It just feels like money left on the table.

Era movie doesn't have the backing of a major studio, so no massive promotional push for it like other blockbuster films. Sure Swift is going to make out with more in the end by not partnering with a studio, but the movie could have a lower ceiling.

Edited by Mojoguy

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I don't think she's overly invested in advertising it and is content with it making what it's going to make.

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to all of this but didnt Barbie had $30m in presales right before its release. What were the general estimates on here for its OW gross?

I know Eras wont have as many walk ups compared to a normal movie. But I feel like it actually overperformed in presales for the type of film it is. So it makes sense why presales aren't picking up.   

I myself have yet to purchase my ticket.

37 minutes ago, Outlander said:

I'm fairly new to all of this but didnt Barbie had $30m in presales right before its release. What were the general estimates on here for its OW gross?

I know Eras wont have as many walk ups compared to a normal movie. But I feel like it actually overperformed in presales for the type of film it is. So it makes sense why presales aren't picking up.   

I myself have yet to purchase my ticket.

I doubt there are gonna be many walkups for a 3-hour long, $20 per-person concert movie. The ticket sales are behaving more like, well, an actual concert, so big day 1 sales when most of the hardcore fans buy but not much growth afterward.

Also, a movie like Barbie had consistent marketing from WB, which caused it to "pace" well in terms of sales, whereas this isn't getting anywhere near that amount of promotion.

Direct promotion from Taylor's social media accounts would probably help sales more than anything else, but I think they are perfectly content with the amount of money it would make even without that, given this is a "side project".

I feel like the lack of promotion is probably because they just feel like they don't need to, and the lack of a studio is also probably coming into play. But at the same time I've seen tv ads during football (Chiefs game last week) and The Voice they've been airing promos the last 2 weeks. Maybe Taylor doesn't feel comfortable going all out promoting because of the SAG strike? I know this film is exempt, but she has I'm sure a lot of actors/directors/producer friends and maybe she feels like it would be in bad faith to promote a movie during this time?

As well I actually don't really think this movie needs much promoting. If you're a Swiftie or you at all care about Taylor Swift, you know this movie and you know when its coming out. I can't imagine anyone not knowing about this film, that would go to see it. 

Some other notes, I'm wondering if small local independent theaters are gonna get burned. I say this to mean that I think most people have pre-oredered their tickets in advance and I don't think walk ups will be that crazy. And at least majority of the local theaters by me, don't take pre-sales for movies 3 weeks in advance. With a very select few not even doing online ticketing at all. A few of my local theaters did make exceptions for this movie, but I can't see how many are sold because they don't have seat selection since they typically don't do pre-sales. But I can't imagine myself thinking to pre-buy tickets from a local theater that doesn't even let you select a seat, or that you typically never do pre-buy from. Which is why I think this film will be much more popular at chains. 

I still see this doing at least 125M, it has the higher price point of $20 and I just can't imagine it doing less than that. I guess we'll see how the numbers shake out as we get closer.

Edited by eman92

5 hours ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Not seeing anything at this point that indicates sales will start ramping up. Probably looking at $85-105M OW which is phenomenal for a concert film (3x the current record) but a bit of a let down from day one pre-sales being 50% bigger than No Way Home 🤣

Over on Reddit people are doing a complete 180 on this film thanks to this comment. People are even saying that film confirms that walkups aren’t real lol.

Through pre-sales alone this film has already outgrossed all other concert films by a wide margin, but now that it might not open above $100M on its opening weekend people are acting like it’s unimpressive.

Edited by Speedorito

5 hours ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Not seeing anything at this point that indicates sales will start ramping up. Probably looking at $85-105M OW which is phenomenal for a concert film (3x the current record) but a bit of a let down from day one pre-sales being 50% bigger than No Way Home 🤣

FNAF for October record is back on the menu. 

• Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

It's understable the movie Is gonna make so much Money anyways they didn't "waste" Money on very expensive promotion (massive TV ads campaigns,  Billboards etc..) but even on socials, where you can make things for free, promotion have been very inexistent. They could have made at least a tour music video, releasing clips etc.. everything they made in 45 days has been 2 posts about tickets and then nothing. Strange. 

Maybe It's coming everything on Friday.  

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

Random question which may have minimal impact on box office and sorry if it's already been mentioned/discussed to death.

Any thoughts on RT score here? Or any embargo dates? Not really sure how reviewing this type of movie works and if there are special features or new content that would even warrant an embargo.

Had a look at a few prior concert movies just now and to my (perhaps naïve) surprise all had fresh scores, except the Jonas Brothers...

Just thinking aloud a red tomato may help walkups a bit for any non-swifties still on the fence but appreciate given the genre it would probably not make much difference ultimately.

24 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Random question which may have minimal impact on box office and sorry if it's already been mentioned/discussed to death.

Any thoughts on RT score here? Or any embargo dates? Not really sure how reviewing this type of movie works and if there are special features or new content that would even warrant an embargo.

Had a look at a few prior concert movies just now and to my (perhaps naïve) surprise all had fresh scores, except the Jonas Brothers...

Just thinking aloud a red tomato may help walkups a bit for any non-swifties still on the fence but appreciate given the genre it would probably not make much difference ultimately.

I can’t imagine any RT score mattering, even a high one, and since the details of the concerts are already widely known amongst her community there shouldn’t be any kind of embargo. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:09 PM, Mojoguy said:

Era movie doesn't have the backing of a major studio, so no massive promotional push for it like other blockbuster films. Sure Swift is going to make out with more in the end by not partnering with a studio, but the movie could have a lower ceiling.

The lack of big marketing push really stop the movie from going wider. The LA premiere on Oct 11 is the final big event, along with some RT reveal and twitter reactions.     

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

So is this going to be the Barbie of concert movies? I'm also confused about OW numbers here. Are they WW or dom only (some look way too big for dom)? 

DOM opening probably in the $85-105M range. No clue about worldwide but my gut instinct is about 60-70% more than DOM so $135-175M maybe?

15 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Over on Reddit people are doing a complete 180 on this film thanks to this comment. People are even saying that film confirms that walkups aren’t real lol.

Through pre-sales alone this film has already outgrossed all other concert films by a wide margin, but now that it might not open above $100M on its opening weekend people are acting like it’s unimpressive.

This is why you don't go on Reddit mah boi. Tis a silly place.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

May God be with every movie theater employee this weekend lol

‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ Concert Film: Theater Employees Prepare – Rolling Stone

Taking my mom Saturday in a sold out screening, and I am unsure if I will even survive the whole show. Just seems like it's going to be a headache-inducing experience.