kayumanggi

THE WILD ROBOT | 09.27.2024 | Universal | Chris Sanders to direct | official trailer 2 on page 7

1 hour ago, JonathanMB said:

Yeah, Boy and the Heron winning over Spider-Verse 2 despite that having similar raves and a lot more money at the box office tells me that the Academy would prefer to award something less repetitive when they get the chance, and this seems like a perfect chance.

Launching this at TIFF was such a brilliant move. When it comes to non-sequel/brand animated movies post-COVID, the only ones to open above $20M have been Encanto, The Bad Guys, and Elemental. Families have become a lot more skittish about taking their kids to something that's not based on or directly following up something they already love, so hopefully this early word gets more of them to check it out, and maybe even the kind of curious adult audience that checks out Pixar movies. Regardless of how it opens, it looks like WOM and a total dearth of family options between this and Moana 2 should give it some good legs. 

We have Incredibles 2 losing to the original Spiderverse too. And Incredibles 2 was very well received and made an almost record breaking amount of money at the time, it was number 2 biggest animated movies ever at the time. 

The movie is based on a popular children's book but it's not a cultural juggernaut like a Harry Potter or something so that'll only help it in getting families to have a bit more on the radar, but won't hurt its awards chances even a little as an adaptation. I also agree it should have stellar legs if it's as well received by families as this early word and all the trailers indicate. Lowering opening, great legs to carry it through October and November up until Moana, alongside Transformers. 

Presales are apparently decent so far but neither Uni/Dreamworks nor the major chains have really promoted that tickets are actually on sale yet at all. I assume they plan on exploiting these reactions to drum up interest.

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Spider-verse was helped by the December release. The movie was still making waves well into January and was fresh on voters minds during the voting period. If Moana is big throughout winter, I see it winning tbh

Considering it's getting converted from a D+ series into a movie with no LMM songs, I think it's more likely to miss a nomination than to contend for a win tbh (see also: Frozen II missing a nomination despite massive box office).

• Like 3

Like if this was before the 2020s, Disney would’ve won for the sake of being Disney but we’re in a new age. The Wild Robot will win because it’s the best film of the bunch.

28 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If wild robot won, that would be third non-Disney/Pixar win in the category. Is this signaling some truly change in the animation?

Outside of the Academy not defaulting to Disney or Pixar, I don't think much has changed. I wonder how 2025 will go anyway. Is there anything likely to get a nomination for best animated feature outside Elio?

Wildwood would be a contender next year I'd think. Possibly the Chomet movie if it's actually ready by then. 

But anyway this is still all speculation. Buzz for wild robot definitely looking good at this point but can't know for sure until the field actually looks slated.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:17 PM, cannastop said:

Outside of the Academy not defaulting to Disney or Pixar, I don't think much has changed. I wonder how 2025 will go anyway. Is there anything likely to get a nomination for best animated feature outside Elio?

ZOOTOPIA II?