XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

11 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Having 2 bombs in a year is not an anomaly it's  just bad sign .

Having 1 movie in 2024 is cool . Gives them more time to evaluate . Then justing dropping 4 in 2025 seems like going back  to the same thing that got them here .

They thought "quantumania" was good and we're very confident in it.

Marvels was hacked to pieces in the editing room .

Cap 4 is going to have extensive reshoots, can't imagine the budget on that now by the end.

Studio is clearly just a mess behind the scenes.

Canceling everything is ridiculous and won't help . But fat has to be trimmed off  and I really think the universe can do fine without thunderbolts and blade.

As much I would have liked big bad change ,that would be troublesome and complicate so guess they will have limp on with Kang.

MCU has eroded most of it's goodwill , Deadpool will succeed but to me that's "guardians 3" situation to me.  So rest of projects will have to build it up.

Ant-Man 3 did 470m. The Marvels isn't even doing half of it. MCU nerds 100% know that Captain Marvel is a much more important character in the MCU than Ant-Man, but they are still not going to watch this movie. Marvel Studios either should've projected this character as a big, important character so that GA took the character seriously or they should've made nerds comfortable with the character. They did nothing, and the result is this disaster. Yes there are some quality issues but that alone can't lead to such disaster.

I'm seeing some people say that MCU hasn't been on a rough patch and that this is the first true bomb.  I think there's a couple different ways to look at it.  I do believe 'Eternals' lost money so right off the bat I can't say this is the first bomb.  I think Ant-Man 3 also lost money or it was very close to losing money.  Just looking at the worldwide total of $470M I'm not sure how it got to profitability off a $200M budget and P&A.  

But that's all besides the point.  

Ant-Man 3 was supposed to setup Kang Dynasty and it did a horrendous job of it. Whether you agree that it bombed financially, it certainly bombed critically and was received poorly by audiences.  

The Marvels is supposed to be a big follow up to the MCU's version of Wonder Woman.   Just as 1984 killed off a potential 3rd movie for her,  I think this kills off Captain Marvel as a viable superhero woman character moving forward. She will probably be relegated to the background. 

Secret Invasion was also a complete disaster and we have to include that because the shows go hand in hand with the movie universe. 

If you look at what's done really well,   GOTG vol. 3 and that was Gunn's last movie for the MCU so there's not much to build on there.  

There's also not much to build off with the latest Spider-Man movie,  it felt like an event that is 75% removed from the MCU. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm seeing some people say that MCU hasn't been on a rough patch and that this is the first true bomb.  I think there's a couple different ways to look at it.  I do believe 'Eternals' lost money so right off the bat I can't say this is the first bomb.  I think Ant-Man 3 also lost money or it was very close to losing money.  Just looking at the worldwide total of $470M I'm not sure how it got to profitability off a $200M budget and P&A.  

But that's all besides the point.  

Ant-Man 3 was supposed to setup Kang Dynasty and it did a horrendous job of it. Whether you agree that it bombed financially, it certainly bombed critically and was received poorly by audiences.  

The Marvels is supposed to be a big follow up to the MCU's version of Wonder Woman.   Just as 1984 killed off a potential 3rd movie for her,  I think this kills off Captain Marvel as a viable superhero woman character moving forward. She will probably be relegated to the background. 

Secret Invasion was also a complete disaster and we have to include that because the shows go hand in hand with the movie universe. 

If you look at what's done really well,   GOTG vol. 3 and that was Gunn's last movie for the MCU so there's not much to build on there.  

There's also not much to build off with the latest Spider-Man movie,  it felt like an event that is 75% removed from the MCU. 

There are 2 Avengers movies coming & she'll be in it. We don't know what would be her role in those Avengers movies, if the role is big her popularity will increase as her popularity can't go lower than this; also they are calling her The Annihilator in this movie & who are other annihilators in comics? Star Lord, Silver Surfer, Rocket, Beta ray bill, Cosmo, Nova etc. So if they make a 3rd movie then this could be that movie, just my guess.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

$60m opening weekend isn't that bad for the MCU in late 2023, be happy with it.

What movie is this referring to? Certainly not Marvels …

2 hours ago, tdangie said:

Am I bad for praying that Disney makes Tom Holland the face of the Avengers (or young Avengers??) because of their recent poor BO results. I have no clue if Sony will allow that (surely there's a $$$ amount that's enough), but if there's one Marvel character that appeals to Gen Z and Gen Alpha audiences its HIM.  
You Betcha Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Disney would never willingly let Sony hold their whole universe hostage like that lol.

57 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

They might as well release Cap 4 theatrically but with that much reshooting it’s basically guaranteed to be a flop, right?

I did ask a while back and never got an answer: what is supposed to be the hook of the movie? It obviously isn’t the tv show.  Hulk? Harrison Ford?

It will flop but if it actually turns out good and builds torwards something it’ll might be worth it.

They have to make audiences care about these new/legacy characters.

Its not like the first Cap, Thor, Hulk, etc. did gangbusters.

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

James Cameron must be laughing his ass off. You know what didn't leave much cultural footprint ...Captain Marvel. First 1B WW film to fall so hard with the sequel. Every guy & gal at Marvel is crying right now. 

...what does Cameron have to do with any of this?

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it funny that people think The Marvels is the first MCU bomb, surely that The Incredible Hulk?

The Marvels is a self goal by Marvel Studios. The entire point of this movie was to project Ms. Marvel as the new future face of the MCU, to establish Carol as a flawed character, and to establish that she doesn't need to carry the weight of the world alone. They could have done all these things with a D+ special movie instead of the theatrical movie, and it would've prevented them (both actors and studios) from embarrassment. Now it would become even more harder for them to sell Avengers movies to people.