XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

42 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

$600M DOM would have been too high for Marvels.

$550-600M is worldwide. I predicted $250-260M domestic for The Marvels which it will do ~33% of. My dumbass ALSO predicted $260M domestic for Aquaman 2. . .which it will (probably) do ~50% of. 

I also thought GOTG 3 would open to $200M and do $500M+ domestically as late as December 2022 💀. Sadly it had to pay for the sins of some mid movies (LaT MoM Quantumania reception was not good) and finished at a low $359M.

Edited by HummingLemon496

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/29/iger-explains-marvels-flop-too-many-disney-sequels.html

Quality has been an issue for Disney since it launched its streaming service in late 2019. In increasing its output to feed Disney+, Iger said the company “diluted” its quality, particularly when it came to its Marvel Cinematic Universe features. He said pandemic-related restrictions made it difficult for executives to oversee its increased number of film and television productions.

″‘The Marvels’ was shot during Covid,” he explained. “There wasn’t as much supervision on the set, so to speak, where we have executives [that are] really looking over what’s being done day after day after day.”

So the movie had two rounds of reshoots and might have  had a third round if not for the strikes but in Iger's opinion there wasn't enough executive meddling?

• Haha 1

So the problem with Marvels wasn't the shoddy script or the misguided shot into tying several streaming series into it or the patented Marvel method of making and changing things on the fly that put more strain into the vfx team or leaving one third of the movie in the cutting room floor, it was not having enough suits in the filming location.

Sometimes I wonder if you just picked the hot dog seller on the street corner of Marvel offices and put him in the CEO chair he would do a better job than the actual ones do.

• Like 8

This just shows Iger doesn't really understand the issues. Disney execs are clearly culturally tied to the idea to the idea of fixing issues during the shoot or post.

More pre-production work should have flagged up issues with the concept, story and villain. COVID is not an excuse for that. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

So the problem with Marvels wasn't the shoddy script or the misguided shot into tying several streaming series into it or the patented Marvel method of making and changing things on the fly that put more strain into the vfx team or leaving one third of the movie in the cutting room floor, it was not having enough suits in the filming location.

Honestly, I don't think most of these things are the biggest problem for The Marvels. I haven't seen many complaints about edition or vfx.

The biggest problem for the box office (which is what Iger mainly cares) has been the pretty low interest in the movie. The tracking shows this issue existed even before we could see other problems.

Still, I can't imagine how more executives would know how to increase interest in the film.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I don't think most of these things are the biggest problem for The Marvels. I haven't seen many complaints about edition or vfx.

The biggest problem for the box office (which is what Iger mainly cares) has been the pretty low interest in the movie. The tracking shows this issue existed even before we could see other problems.

Still, I can't imagine how more executives would know how to increase interest in the film.

And why were you expecting him to say that people weren't interested in Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel, and that's why the movie flopped? If he had said that, then the question would have arisen: if people aren't interested in Ms. Marvel, then why is she the lead of the Young Avengers? And a question might arise in the future: if people aren't interested in Captain Marvel, then why is she the lead of the Avengers? So he couldn't say what you're expecting him to say.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Is Young Avengers a name people online are using for convenience or is it the canon, in-movie description of the next lot? Because it’s a terrible name. 

It's the name of the team in the comics and most (but not all) of the young heroes they've introduced so far have been members of the YA. They might not use that name for the actual MCU thing though, it could be Champions.

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Is Young Avengers a name people online are using for convenience or is it the canon, in-movie description of the next lot? Because it’s a terrible name. 

Young Avengers is an actual team in the comics composed by teenage knockoffs of Avengers characters. As you can expect it was never a massive success (there was a comic headlined by Hank Pym and Tigra out of all people with original teen characters that outlasted Young Avengers by a lot).

52 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It's the name of the team in the comics and most (but not all) of the young heroes they've introduced so far have been members of the YA. They might not use that name for the actual MCU thing though, it could be Champions.

I sincerely think they should recast Kate Bishop. At the rate that MCU series and movies are being developed, the actress will be over 30 when Young Avengers start.

I know it's pretty common teenagers characters to be played by older actors, but the other cast members will be younger (although still older than teenagers).

Edited by Kon

Frankly I think they should just scrap the Young Avengers idea. I don't know if general public will be accepting of the idea of having just teenage versions of the heroes they followed all those years, if they want, they can just use other heroes that happen to be teenagers and don't have the baggage of carrying the legacy of another hero, like Spider-Man.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Kon said:

I sincerely think they should recast Kate Bishop. At the rate that MCU series and movies are being developed, the actress will be over 30 when Young Avengers start.

I know it's pretty common teenagers characters to be played by older actors, but the other cast members will be younger (although still older than teenagers).

I mean Kate Bishop isn't a teenager in the MCU either so I don't see why her age is an issue.

1 minute ago, Masketta Man said:

Frankly I think they should just scrap the Young Avengers idea. I don't know if general public will be accepting of the idea of having just teenage versions of the heroes they followed all those years, if they want, they can just use other heroes that happen to be teenagers and don't have the baggage of carrying the legacy of another hero, like Spider-Man.

Being "teenage versions" of older heroes are often one of the main selling point for these young heroes. 

Most teenage heroes without this "bagage" aren't popular either. So, the risk for Marvel will be bigger.

As per fricking usual. Studio execs just being so out of tune and getting the wrong lessons.

Yeah we can discuss it all day . Disney sucks at diversity and representation and it all comes off as hollow and superficial and doing it just doing it because it's "trendy".

But Marvels bombed bse no one cared and it had shoddy writing just like most of phase 5 and 4. Oversaturation ,bloated storyline and characters and a world clearly most of us and the GA don't care about anymore .

Same goes for the rest of it's IPS.

Pixar is not the same

WDAs needs a rehauling.

Enough has been said about starwars and live action remakes .

Yeah we can complain about the vitriolic side of internet, and talk about the need for more diversity but if the story is not good or the very least attractive to audiences, if the  characters are not relatable or interesting

Movie won't do well.

11 minutes ago, Kon said:

Being "teenage versions" of older heroes are often one of the main selling point for these young heroes. 

Most teenage heroes without this "bagage" aren't popular either. So, the risk for Marvel will be bigger.

It used to be the selling point of this kind of hero when you had the main one around as a tutor and to play around with different kinds of personalities, but now we have just a glut of legacy characters that you can barely tell apart, Just imagine if they made a continuity that hinges on a Robin that never met Batman, that's what's happening right now in Marvel.

Also if they go with the start of career plot, I can easily see the X-Men and Nova being successful teenage heroes.

4 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

Sometimes I wonder if you just picked the hot dog seller on the street corner of Marvel offices and put him in the CEO chair he would do a better job than the actual ones do.

Bob is just grasping at straws the last couple days. It's hilarious and sad to watch.

• Like 1