XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

I am not sure if people believe that Iger would be the one out of touch and know more about Disney movie making than us. I imagine people more believe he know way more but that he is lying.

Netflix should have removed all talk that you can just greenlight project and have good result, without the creative tension between studio and artist, that happened pretty much on all the big movies you like. They shown that all the talk to just greenlight stuff, put money in a bank account, let artist work and have success that people without any clue repeated was false. It is complicated.

It can be little supervision (but there still always is) if you work with Spielberg-Cameron-Nolan-Tarantino and others well tune machine that have as a goal to make the most as they can at the box office. You can have Mother! with no supervision if you work with an Aronofsky production company (but there exec will be on set).

Yes one could believe that the best producers-exec in the world with a vast experience of working on more than 20 big movies in their life can help a first time movie director.

Was there ever 200 millions budget movies made with negative pickup deal ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/28/disney-ceo-bob-iger-talks-dont-say-gay-lgbtq-inclusion-at-town-hall.html?fbclid=IwAR2JG9vgWuiIIYi03H9wi69oGPg130ebg1nkntcjeFgnMPbBw1i8NpqXrho

Following criticism of its past handling of LGBTQ issues, Disney CEO Bob Iger on Monday told employees that inclusion and acceptance are among the “core values” of the company’s storytelling.

The remarks come after Disney had faced criticism under previous CEO Bob Chapek for its handling of Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” bill, which banned instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade. Disney’s recent inclusion of unambiguously gay characters in animated films has also drawn criticism from anti-LGBTQ activists.

“This company has been telling stories for 100 years, and those stories have had a meaningful, positive impact on the world, and one of the reasons they have had a meaningful, positive impact is because one of the core values of our storytelling is inclusion and acceptance and tolerance, and we can’t lose that,” Iger said Monday.

Iger also said that some subjects that have proven to be controversial shouldn’t be considered political.

“I don’t think when you are telling stories and attempting to be a good citizen of the world that that’s political,” he said according to sources who heard the event and asked to remain anonymous because it was not open to the public.

What Iger said only one year ago. Clearly, he didn't believe any of this.

20 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Bob Iger trying to blame diversity for Disney’s recent financial woes is hilarious, especially when he was championing that just one year ago. I guess it’s easier to blame “wokeness” than his own factory approach to entertainment. 

Is the Ironheart show gonna get the Zaslav treatment now? 

They need to start scraping Marvel projects now before they are too deep in production. Iron Heart, Armor Wars, Agatha, Young Avengers all sound like terrible ideas that will flop badly 

31 minutes ago, DInky said:

There is only one thing guys like him believe in, and that’s making money. Everything they do and say is all about making money, you can’t really trust anything they say especially when they’re trying to save their own ass, as I’ve said earlier.

As a CEO of a big company you gotta be really good at saying what you think your shareholders need to hear at the time, facts be damned.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

They need to start scraping Marvel projects now before they are too deep in production. Iron Heart, Armor Wars, Agatha, Young Avengers all sound like terrible ideas that will flop badly 

there not scrapping ironheart, since it has already finished filming, also anyone who suggests "doing a zaslav" as a good thing is a dipshit 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

I read this interview earlier. He says it's not a straightforward Marvel movie, but it will likely be full of the tension breaking jokes and stupidity that Marvel decided was their brand. I'm guessing he thinks the fact these are a collection of anti-heroes makes this movie unlike other Marvel flicks, but we've already seen plenty of anti-hero action, and we'll see it done supremely better in Deadpool 3. He also said he hasn't read a completed script yet... shocker, I know.

5 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

Thunderbolts moving as it is now just shows that they didn't learn a thing about the failures of the recent movies, it's not filming yet and will open in two years, they can afford to pull it back to the drawing board or as the last resort scrap it.

Thunderbolts has two things going against it. It brings together characters that by the time this releases haven't appeared for 3-7 years and the set-up for the film, including the introduction of US Agent, happened in a Disney+ show that came out 4 years ago. It seemingly faces the same hurdles that The Marvels did. And we know how that ended up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

There is only one thing guys like him believe in, and that’s making money. Everything they do and say is all about making money, you can’t really trust anything they say especially when they’re trying to save their own ass, as I’ve said earlier.

As a CEO of a big company you gotta be really good at saying what you think your shareholders need to hear at the time, facts be damned.

Yeah, this. I'm surprised anyone is taking what Iger has said over the last few days seriously. He's not going to go out and say what he really thinks went wrong with the Marvels, he's just saying what he thinks will play best with shareholders. Beyond curiosity about what spin his team has decided on, his comments are pretty meaningless. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

Thunderbolts has two things going against it. It brings together characters that by the time this releases haven't appeared for 3-7 years and the set-up for the film, including the introduction of US Agent, happened in a Disney+ show that came out 4 years ago. It seemingly faces the same hurdles that The Marvels did. And we know how that ended up.

Fortunately, Disney+ show don't have their names (except Winter Soldier), so people won't have the feeling they need to see previous Disney+ shows.

I think the disadvantage about their 3-7 years absence could be overcome if Thunderbolts movies reintroduce the characters to the audience (the previous adventures could be only a background). It wouldn't be the first MCU movie introducing a team of character.

Edited by Kon

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Yeah, this. I'm surprised anyone is taking what Iger has said over the last few days seriously. He's not going to go out and say what he really thinks went wrong with the Marvels, he's just saying what he thinks will play best with shareholders. Beyond curiosity about what spin his team has decided on, his comments are pretty meaningless. 

People is taking Iger seriously, because he wouldn't blame the "message" unless he's planning changes in that aspect.

People don't really care about what Iger really think it's the problem, but what he will do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

People is taking Iger seriously, because he wouldn't blame the "message" unless he's planning changes in that aspect.

People don't really care about what Iger really think it's the problem, but what he will do.

Yeah, I just don't think any of that means much of anything. He also said that they've churned out too many sequels, even though his plan to turn things around based on what he's actually touted and greenlit among all his film divisions is...a bunch of sequels.