XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Nobody, nobody, gave a single shit about Iron Man before the movie came out. Nobody cared about the Guardians before their movie came out. The vast majority of people did not know who the Avengers were before the movie came out. Just assuming that nobody will like a character because they're not already famous is idiotic. This isn't DC where they just reboot Batman every three years.

That narrative that no one cared about Iron Man is just a lie that people use to justify the current Marvel turkeys. Same thing for Captain America and the Avengers.

Even before the movie Iron Man had

- a cartoon

- a toyline

- his own video games

When GotG movie got announced, it was a up and coming franchise with a successful reboot in the comics that started to bleed into other media.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

Comic book fans cared about Iron Man and that matters the most................ original screenplay is way harder to get right than adapted because it's really hard to write a good story. And to write good characters. Having the comics to adapt from removes much of that difficulty because even if you make massive changes to the comic stories, you have the greatest hits of the comic industry as your backbone. If you want to pick the shitty unpopular characters of the comic books as the basis of your movies, all you are doing is basically being struck writing original screenplay. And it is possible to get that right, but also way more possible to get it wrong too. 

• Like 1

When Marvel jumped into making movies, the biggest handicap they had was that they had sold off their most famous characters - Spidey, X-Men, F4 - and they only retained second or third string characters. Nobody thought of Iron Man as a valuable IP. And much less Guardians of the Galaxy. They only had a following among comic book fans. 

Anyway, I always was a casual comic book reader, but I recall picking up some Ms Marvel comics in the 2000s and they had a decent storyline where she was a bit of a struggling superhero that nonetheless strived to be the best version of herself. That seems to me a more interesting approach than the "she's the strongest evah" from the first movie. Not Marvel, but I had the same feeling with Black Adam. Those are not engaging characters.

Edited by Celedhring

33 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

Avengers EMH and Marvel vs Capcom appearances of the team preceded the announcement of the movie.

Feige was talking about the movie being in development as early as 2010. Perlman worked on the earliest drafts in 2009. So no, it was not a coincidence.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Feige was talking about the movie being in development as early as 2010. So no, it was not a coincidence.

And do you think cartoons and games are conjured out of thin air? Those have development cycles too. Pretty sure Rocket Raccoon was added in MvC because they wanted to include a joke/inconventional character and Marvel gave them choices like Squirrel Girl before they settled on the final pick, it wasn't just a mandated marketing stunt.

17 minutes ago, Masketta Man said:

And do you think cartoons and games are conjured out of thin air? Those have development cycles too. Pretty sure Rocket Raccoon was added in MvC because they wanted to include a joke/inconventional character and Marvel gave them choices like Squirrel Girl before they settled on the final pick, it wasn't just a mandated marketing stunt.

No, I don't, which is why the Guardians suddenly appearing in a bunch of things right after a movie begins development is not a coincidence.

44 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

@SpiderByte I bet he thinks Inhumans was super popular too since they started appearing in marvel media around 2013, years before they finally made it to live action.:facepalm:

Inhumans is actually a perfect example of what I'm describing. They got a big push because the movie was, at the time, still happening.

And yes, from that push came Ms Marvel...which was the breakout success of that initiative.

Edited by SpiderByte

10 hours ago, tdangie said:

I'm fine with keeping Ms. Marvel around, but maybe she should just stick to streaming services or be a side character in theatrical movies. I also think a Young Avengers team-up should DEFINITELY be on Disney+. Unless of course they shoehorn Spiderman in that team too LOL

Spider-Man being a Young Avenger is weird.

He’s too popular for the B squad.

They should scrap the idea altogether tbh.

This will bomb no matter what shape it takes, since people don’t care about these characters.

I highly doubt they're changing plans now. It's been very credibly reported Marvel is doing some sort of adaptation of Children's Crusade, which lines up with all the Young Avengers members they've set up (though admittedly several of the YA theyve set up weren't involved in Children's Crusade, like Chavez, but still). I'm almost certain that it's going to be for Disney+, even if it's also been teased in the movies. as for the actual team name IDK, Kamala is more associated with the Champions, but the rest are all various iterations of Young Avengers, or maybe they'll just call it flat out Childrens Crusade. But it's very very clear that it's happening.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Could this person be confusing information that some members of the team will return in some form in other projects as thinking that the movie is getting a sequel?

The movie was highly criticized even if it has decent numbers for COVID, I don’t see how it makes sense making a sequel to it in this environment if it isn’t going to be some crazy stuff like The Eternals vs. The Avengers or something.

So basically quick update on everything:

What If...? Season 2: Releasing sometime during "the holiday season", presumably this year in December. Season 3 underway.

Echo: Deep in post, releasing in January.

X-Men 97: Season 1 episodes being finalized, Season 2 underway.

Agatha Darkhold Diaries: In post-production.

Witches Road: Reportedly filmed during production of Agatha.

Deadpool 3: Resuming filming soon, rumored to be screening the footage theyve already shot and edited during strike break.

Spider-Man Freshman Year: scheduled for late 2024, Sophomore Year presumably in early development.

Marvel Zombies: Unspecified 2024 date, presumably still in production

Daredevil Born Again: At "Day Zero" per new directors, some unclear amount of footage to be kept, new scripts being written. Presumably 2025.

Ironheart: In post, delayed to 2025 pending possible reshoots.

Captain America Brave New World: Delayed to 2025 pending reshoots of 3 sequences across a 5 month scheduled reshoot window.

Wonder Man: Unknown, began filming first episode a month prior to WGA shutdown and TV side revamp.

Vision Quest: Unknown.

Fantastic Four: currently casting, set to film in Spring

Thunderbolts: Delayed to 2025, presumably for the purpose as adding as many crew of the Netflix series Beef as physically possible. May secretly be Beef Season 2 in disguise?

Blade: Undergoing rewrites, unclear which writer is most current (I'd assume Pizzolatto?) Now R rated

Spider-Man 4: in writing stages. Release date schedule at Sonys decision.

Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars: getting new writers. Who? No idea.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So basically quick update on everything:

Agatha Darkhold Diaries: In post-production.

Witches Road: Reportedly filmed during production of Agatha.

Great list, thanks for that.

Question though, when is Agatha supposed to come out, next year?

And is Witches Road supposed to be the return of Scarlet Witch? Is it a Disney + movie?