Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

A B+ grade for Hunger Games doesn't seem that great considering it had a big fan rush for opening day. Guess it all depends on how frontloaded it is, and what its drop looks like next weekend even with Thanksgiving (it loses all IMAX/PLF screens to Napoleon and Wish on Wednesday).

I feel like some are overanalzying why YA (dystopians) has gone down in popularity. Every genre has its ups on downs, and YA peaked somewhere around Potter and Twilight ending and Hunger Games starting. I think the issue was more a lack of quality together with oversaturation. I heavily a series like Twilight would have been able to do close to what it did today either, because YA just does not sell as it once did.

4 hours ago, Noctis said:

If Mockingjay had been a single film, not only would it have been the highest grossing film of the year, but it would have outgrossed CF.

I very much doubt it. Simple comparisions with Harry Potter (where every successive movie opened bigger than the one before) and Twilight (where every movie past New Moon opened remarkably consistent) shows that there just was lower interest after Catching Fire in the Hunger Games franchise. It feels like a long stretch to argue that it would have outgrossed Catching Fire if it would have been one movie.

Edited by Dale Cooper

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A B+ grade for Hunger Games doesn't seem that great considering it had a big fan rush for opening day. Guess it all depends on how frontloaded it is, and what its drop looks like next weekend even with Thanksgiving (it loses all IMAX/PLF screens to Napoleon and Wish on Wednesday).

Based on the early numbers, fans don't seem to be rushing anything and if i'm being honest, this TBOSS cinemascore is very good for what it is. GA doesn't fall in love with films where the protagonist is a villain/bad nature.
Some examples:

imagem-2023-11-18-111513951.png 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think like every other weekend each of these box office results can be excused away in a vacuum, but then you add it all up and start to realize that people are rejecting crappy/cynical content en masse and the studios don't really seem to have an answer. Yeah I'm not gonna do the CJohn movies are dying thing, but this year is proof positive that people want things that are better and a little different, and the current major budget movies greenlit for 2024 and much of 2025 look to be, on the surface, an absolute nadir of content. What's the path to improvement?

Games, probably. More specifically the kind of games that became famous with YouTubers in the 2010’s. I watched hundreds of hours of YouTube gaming content with my zoomer daughter back then and she’s literally the type of person who ate the FNAF movie up and would go out in a group again to watch any other movies made about those games.

10 hours ago, Bob Train said:

People want video game movies. Fortnite, Minecraft movies will make $1b. 

Yes, but also, they need to make a Terraria and an Undertale movie, especially an Undertale movie.

Edited by Arlborn

5 hours ago, George Parr said:

The other topic is studios still deciding to release further movies from the same franchise. For that you don't necessarily need the prior installment to have been a big hit.  There can be a whole range of reasons why you would do another one, even if the last installment seemingly didn't do well at the box office.

If, as you say, the box office has the final word on success, but a franchise gets another sequel even though the box office was bad, then doesn't that show that box office actually doesn't have the final word on success?

• Knock It Off 2