Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

7 hours ago, Mulder said:

Wonka's doing good but I gotta agree with Clay that 200 is fine but not some mindblowing number. Most us were thinking 150-200 and it'll fall on that. Good result, not insane. As for Aquaman honestly if it hits 90, 100, 110, or 120 it's abysmal still. This thing had several reshoots and a ton of CGI, it cost a lot of money.

Official budget is $205M...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

The hype around Wonka's legs is like the BOT version of a pyramid scheme. It's doing fine. It could hit 200, it's probably about even odds if not better. But that's it. A nice enough total with solid legs from a solid opening. Nothing particularly special about this run or its legs.

Isn't it doing well internationally?  Not that I've looked too deep into it but I've seen people praising it's projected total.  Why are you so down on it?

8 hours ago, Mulder said:

Wonka's doing good but I gotta agree with Clay that 200 is fine but not some mindblowing number. Most us were thinking 150-200 and it'll fall on that. Good result, not insane. As for Aquaman honestly if it hits 90, 100, 110, or 120 it's abysmal still. This thing had several reshoots and a ton of CGI, it cost a lot of money.

1. I wouldn't say "most" thought it was going to do fine because after the first trailer came out a lot of people were saying nobody was going to care about Wonka.  

2. Aquaman was dead when WB/DC announced the reboot.  In hindsight, maybe it was a mistake to announce the reboot before all of these titles came out but another part of me feels they really had no choice.  But it's clear that the announcement killed off any anticipation that might have been left for this version of a shared universe.  

Merry Christmas BOT by the way!

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

I feel like Avatar's pop culture impact has showed itself more with Way of Water and after. People just don't talk about it over and over because Cameron's kept it to the movies, two games no one played, and comics no one reads and honestly that's fine.

I think arguments online are an important piece for something to be beloved.  People these days feel like they have to choose a side and with Avatar there's really not much of an argument from anyone. Everyone agrees that the technical achievements are insane and everyone agrees that the story is "ok".  There's nobody throwing water on it, no pun intended and there's nobody really hyping up the characters and story.  It's mostly middle ground discussions which leads to a sense of "apathy" even though it's success is out of this world. 

• Like 2

Looking at presales around me for today, things are actually looking really dang great. This will only be the second Christmas since 2015 I haven’t worked at a movie theater (other being 2020) and from my anecdotal experience, Christmas Day isn’t as strong of a box office day in Canada as it is in the US. Most theaters aren’t even open the entire day. 

So without further ado, here is how the presales for today have shaped up in Vancouver/Van Island (sample) the top 5 strongest: 

1. Wonka - no surprise.

2. Aquaman - only a hair or two behind Wonka. If I had to guess, this will likely come out on top for the day gross wise since it’s ATP is higher and it’s only slightly behind in ticket sales.

3. Boys in the Boat - yea you heard that right.

4. Ferrari - strong contender that shocked even me.

5. Colour Purple - definitely won’t be a sensation in Canada. Not bad numbers overall though. 

Next up you have Boy and Heron pulling stronger numbers than Anyone But You and Iron Claw.

Edit: Oh! And Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays to everyone!

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Parking Lot report from Wisconsin looked pretty bleak yesterday. Saw Boys in the Boat with the fam. Never seen a xmas eve that quiet before. We go every year. There was a packer game on, which is basically a state religion here, but they suck this year and the season is already over. It was absolutely crickets. I expect the weekdays to be big this week and next weekend. Never underestimate the holiday weekdays. Still though, makes me long for the 2000s and 90s when theaters were just packed full of people during holiday times. Even recently, I remember seeing La La Land in a sold out theater here in Wisconsin during xmas, I just cant even imagine that happening now. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Everyone agrees that the technical achievements are insane and everyone agrees that the story is "ok".  

I disagree with this as a factual statement about "everyone". Ava2 opened under expectations and went on to have fantastic legs way beyond the holiday corridor. People that don't care or don't like Avatar can pretend that the millions of people in theatres just liked the pretty colors on screen. Still doesn't make it true.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I disagree with this as a factual statement about "everyone". Ava2 opened under expectations and went on to have fantastic legs way beyond the holiday corridor. People that don't care or don't like Avatar can pretend that the millions of people in theatres just liked the pretty colors on screen. Still doesn't make it true.

Also quite funny to see many insists that ATWOW has a mixed WOM when every WOM meters are highly positive, 91% 5 stars posttrak, 92% for audience and A cinemascore. None of the tentpole this season are this positive. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind the inverse can also be true. Some things have obsessive noisy fanbases but don't have broad support. This is true for a lot of DC stuff that isn't Batman. I had to sit through about a billion "Aquaman made a billion and that's why it deserves the XMas Slot and not Dune" BS on here.

Aquaman/Aquaman 2 drop is what Avatar would be if it ACTUALLY had "zero pop culture relevance".

13 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I mean, people really loved the visual aspects of Avatar 2. That's the aspects of the movie all the critics really praise. It wouldn't be so weird that's the reason why it has so good legs (people didn't expect the movie could reach that level).

The story of Avatar 2 doesn't seem so liked. At least, the praise for Avatar 2 was never toward the story.

21 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Also quite funny to see many insists that ATWOW has a mixed WOM when every WOM meters are highly positive, 91% 5 stars posttrak, 92% for audience and A cinemascore. None of the tentpole this season are this positive. 

Yeah. All these positive reviews focus on the incredible technical aspect, not really the story. 

So, I wouldn't say this argument contradict the idea that the story is considered "OK".

Edited by Kon

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Yeah. All these positive reviews focus on the incredible technical aspect, not really the story. 

So, I wouldn't say this argument contradict the idea that the story is considered "OK".

The argument was "zero pop culture relevance" not "screenplay is brilliant/bad"