Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

All except Wonka and Migration, have worse than expected Christmas' eve day drop. 

Overall, Dec 2023 is on its way to come close to 2022. If the Colour Purple really exploded, Dec 2023 may very well beat 2022 and closing the year with $9bn. I would say Dec this year come better than expected mostly thanks to unusual crowded first half of Dec. The carry over grosses I was expecting from Marvels and Wish didn't materialize but thanks to Japanese-duo, Beyonce and India, the crisis mostly adverted. To highlight this, the post-Thanksgiving weekend actually come higher than this pre-Christmas weekend. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Color purple is sold out everywhere near me lmao. How much is it predicted to make 

Color Purple shows are all nearly FULL at my nearest Regal theater today, while Aquaman shows have just a sold a few seats each. Big problem is Aqua has all the biggest screens, while Purple had the mid sized ones.

Yeah, my Regal bet on the WRONG movie this Christmas break.:hahaha:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, joaqs said:

With a 35 mil budget, this will need to overperform big time in Europe to not be another money loser for Disney.

Mathis has a long awards season runway ahead of it. It’s still too early to tell where it lands domestically for a total. This one is about legs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

Salt Lake City Sugarhouse Cinemark (non PLF) midday report:

Wonka 213

Migration 189

Boys in the Boat 146 (!!)

The Iron Claw 80

Ferrari 79

Aquabro 63

The Color Purple 29

Anyone But You 29

Ho to the 3rd!

This number may seem bad, but it's actually every black person in Utah.

• Haha 18

36 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

The problem here is that "creative ambition" and "art" doesn't apply to purely commercial products like Hunger Games BOSS or Planet of the apes, which are spawns of existing IP that are living and thriving either on the built in fanbase and/or nostalgia and trying to milk what's left in the tank of their franchise, and are in no way trying to achieve something on an artistic level. 

We need a variety of options and mid-budgeted movies to make a comeback, but that should not come from downsizing the popular sagas into cheaper outcomes. Hence, why I specifically said that a potential Pirates of the carribean with a reduced budget and scope would be a terrible news for the industry, while an original IP at 100 M grossing 300 M would obviously be good.

Hunger Games as an example is especially jarring as it is coming from a place where it is strictly connected to the main saga (being direct prequels) and has a story/setting that could have been expanded in terms of locations and effects but was reduced into a mid-budget movie for no reason other than the fear of a flop. And as it stands, it still earned about half of what the last HG made, and maybe 1/4 in terms of tickets sold.

Big movies are not the only ones that matter, but these big IP are an extremely precious goldmine for the industry as a whole and should not be cheapened into smaller products with a smaller potential. They need to make better movies, focus on the writing and pacing, but still set the bar high to reach the maximum potential that the specific IP can achieve.

Wonka is a whole other story as it doesn't come from a huge franchise. 

I think assuming a franchise's box office potential is always what the highest growing installment was is flawed logic. Every franchise experiences fatigue and diminishing returns, and if you do hope to maintain what ROI it may have eventually you have to hedge your bets somewhat. A film that is successful with a lower budget may very well encourage the studio to invest more in a later one, but you're just asking for trouble if you expect people to show up to the same level as Catching Fire in this environment. A low budget pirates movie frankly probably would be what is necessary to get the franchise revived, especially given Johnny Depp isn't nearly as beloved now as he was 20 years ago.

The big problem with this season is Dune 2 vacating and what should've been a pretty reliable draw in Wish and Marvels just being completely rejected. Lionsgate can't help it if other studios took longer to agree to SAG demands and/or produced critically drubbed bombs.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

One thing that will be interesting about today, with so many movies opening on medium sized screens and selling out, soooo over should be bigger than we’ve seen in a long time. Can’t see Colour Purple? Maybe Ferrari instead? Boys and the Boat sold out? Try for Iron Claw. Etc. there is just so many alternatives to choose from, I hardly think people can’t find a runner up, rather than just not seeing something once they get to the theatre.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

One thing that will be interesting about today, with so many movies opening on medium sized screens and selling out, soooo over should be bigger than we’ve seen in a long time. Can’t see Colour Purple? Maybe Ferrari instead? Boys and the Boat sold out? Try for Iron Claw. Etc. there is just so many alternatives to choose from, I hardly think people can’t find a runner up, rather than just not seeing something once they get to the theatre.

This holiday season represent the real diversity of big screen. Not just different colour of skin playing the same character arc and story, over and over and over again. The actual diversity that matters. 

You have a feel good adventure for whole families like Wonka and Migration (both are really really great holiday movies). And Aquaman represent a typical VFX action packed spectacle. If you want a tear-jerker there is Iron Claw. A flyover state friendly feel good drama the boy on the boat. If you are horny during this holy-season then Anyone but you and Poor Things suit your horny inner well. The black of this nation get their biggest cinematic event The Colour Purple. If you are East Asian, Heron and Godzilla are here. If you are Indian, you will get not one but two Indian blockbusters.

My point is, cinema need to stay diverse. Not just racial diversity, it is content diversity. Netflix got this big today is because of its diversity in content, not thanks to big superhero franchise. 

• Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Pic taken at 11:16am for Migration for the 11:25am showing, for one of the biggest screens. My Regal screwed up so bad, should have given this showing to Color Purple!

birds2.jpg

It is a shame. Migration is such a good Illumination's animation. Definitely better than Mario and Minion 2 but somehow audience isn't agree with that. Just 86% from audience isn't serving this movie a justice.

• Sad 1

Color Purple, Wonka, and Aquaman all selling extremely well in my area. I think they can all do ~$10M or more today, except TCP which will probably do $20M. Migration is struggling. It's lacking screens and is facing major competition from Wonka. 

• Like 1

Christmas Day Openers & Expansions* Total Daily Gross

(*to at least 1000 locations)

Films in bold grossed at least $5M and/or finished top 5 for the day

• 2012 (Tue) = $39.4M (3 - Les Miserables, Django, Parental Guidance)
  • 2013 (Wed) = $29.2M (5 - Wolf Wall Street, Walter Mitty, 47 Ronin, Grudge Match, Bieber)
  • 2014 (Thu) = $36.9M (4 - Unbroken, Into the Woods, Gambler, Big Eyes)
  • 2015 (Fri) = $31.0M (4 - Daddy's Home, Joy, Concussion, Point Break)
  • ==============================
  • 2016 (Sun) = $6.6M (1 - Fences)
  • 2017 (Mon) = $2.6M (1 - All the Money in the World)
  • 2018 (Tue) = $11.2M (2 - Holmes & Watson, Vice)
  • 2019 (Wed) = $17.1M (3 - Little Women, Uncut Gems, Spies in Disguise)
  • 2021 (Sat) = $6.8M (3 - Amer Underdog, Journal/Jordan, Licorice Pizza)
  • 2022 (Sun) - none

I bring this up because there has been a fair amount of discussion about capacity constraints, particularly for the new releases.  Generally, Christmas Day is one of the most difficult days to match supply (seats) to demand; this will be the first Xmas since 2015 with this level ($20M+) of influx, and the certainly the first of those (maybe 2019?) with widespread reserved seating and high volume advance sales, making it far more difficult to juggle thing around close to release, even if demand clearly warrants

tl;dr - going to be a lot of sell-outs today, but that dye was somewhat cast 3 weeks ago when these tickets went on sale, and the result may be some atypical Xmas/Boxing/Wed daily patterns - including spillover into other films today - until the proper balance can be found

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

WB should have dumped Aquaman on Max and put out Dune 2 in this slot. Aquaman was already dead and if audiences still hadn't figured that out, they would after Momoa's promos. "It doesn't look good for Aquaman" okay, movie skipped.

Strongly disagree, no movie should be dumped for streaming. A movie is designed for big screen. If they flopped, let them flop in theater. 

Also, WB and director himself clearly see Dune as an Oscar blockbuster. Barbie already took that slot this year and award race for this year is super competitive. 2024 could be a better year for Dune 2 in term of award prospect, as well as a great follow up after Wonka success. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Strongly disagree, no movie should be dumped for streaming. A movie is designed for big screen. If they flopped, let them flop in theater. 

Also, WB and director himself clearly see Dune as an Oscar blockbuster. Barbie already took that slot this year and award race for this year is super competitive. 2024 could be a better year for Dune 2 in term of award prospect, as well as a great follow up after Wonka success. 

Zasser doesn't believe in streaming movies, so Aquabro was never going straight to streaming anyways.