Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Unironically the most boring boxoffice in a long time. Nothing breaking out nor flopping super hard, eevrything doing average numbers. Fine runs are just fine, bad runs are bad but not abysmal. It's a very mediocre season showing that people won't show up in big numbers just because it's holidays. 

Well, at least as far as Christmas week went, they showed up in pretty good numbers compared to last year.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-christmas-week-aquaman-2-wonka-1235683131/

Personally I like this kind of year better than one with a big tentpole, because you have choices if you aren’t into whatever the big movie is.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Well, at least as far as Christmas week went, they showed up in pretty good numbers compared to last year.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-christmas-week-aquaman-2-wonka-1235683131/

Personally I like this kind of year better than one with a big tentpole, because you have choices if you aren’t into whatever the big movie is.

I don't because a lot of good movies still got kicked off of screens because of Aquaspam. "No dominant movie" doesn't mean everything gets to breathe, it just means a crappier movie eats up screens.

• Knock It Off 1

What's up with all these qualifiers I'm seeing "Thanks to Christmas" and "lucky it's the holidays" 

Do we ever say "this movie was lucky it was released in the Summer"?   

Movies are slotted where they are for a reason.  Some release dates don't make sense but in general,  the studios understand what movies need to be put where to maximize the outcome. 

Some are better as Summer releases,  some are better off as Holiday releases..  There's no "luck" involved. 

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

I really don’t find this Christmas season boring at all.

The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers, Poor Things, Anyone But You are all interesting to follow. So are Wonka, Aquaman and Migration. So is the Color Purple for the unexpected drop off, and Boys in the Boat came out of nowhere.

The wealth is spread and that’s much more interesting than following Avatar 2 on its own. 

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

This is pretty good for Anyone But You. It's curious because people really have low expectatives for this movie.

Low expectations can lead to "better than expected"/"pleasent surprise" WOM. Also, 2 hot stars that were heavily gossiped to have had a real life hookup during the filming. Exactly the kind of marketing romcoms need.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I really don’t find this Christmas season boring at all.

The Iron Claw, All of Us Strangers, Poor Things, Anyone But You are all interesting to follow. So are Wonka, Aquaman and Migration. So is the Color Purple for the unexpected drop off, and Boys in the Boat came out of nowhere.

The wealth is spread and that’s much more interesting than following Avatar 2 on its own. 

Even the bottom of the list like hunger game, heron and Godzilla have been fun to watch 

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Even the bottom of the list like hunger game, heron and Godzilla have been fun to watch 

those 3 movies are more interesting to follow than pretentious movies from Krissy's list.

Also congrats to Migration for having the highest PTA beating the crap out of pretentious platform releases.

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 4
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4