Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

3 hours ago, joaqs said:

The good thing is that Neon "only" paid 15 mil for distribution rights and the movie got a theatrical run, otherwise STX would drop it on streaming.

Neon paid $17 million to bought "Ferrari". But they will be fine financially.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-2023-marketshare-new-years-weekend-1235683633/

Neon reportedly spent around $17M for the U.S. distribution rights and another $15M-plus to market. I’m informed by finance sources their U.S. portion of this movie will be fine after the downstream market. Neon won’t come out with black eyes on its end of this movie. Their commitment to the movie, much like STX’s, stemmed from wanting to enable a dream project by Mann, and also giving it a theatrical release (Ferrari was once destined to skip the big screen for a Showtime/Paramount+ streaming release). As far as the indie producers aka executive producers for this movie, the bond company and insurance company on this $96M-plus film are concerned — that’s another story. Neon has run a very supportive awards season campaign with a NY and L.A. premiere, and they’ll be more events into January.

Edited by John2015
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, joaqs said:

Speaking of streaming titles, with how well Boys in the Boat is doing, I can only imagine how Midnight Sky would have done in theaters if released in this market. 

I think the budget was too high for that and the movie was too mediocre, but I fully believe George Clooney is one of the most underappreciated draws of all time. He just never had huge blockbusters minus Ocean's. 

But he's kinda like the best of this century in terms of midbudget adult movies with responsible budgets. Michael Clayton, Ides of March, the descendants, Up in the Air, The American, Good night and good luck, Burn after Reading, Ticket to Paradise. Even Money Monster and Hail Caesar tripled their budgets 

It's such a shame he burned over half a decade to direct bad movies and star in a streaming movie. Glad he's back with Ticket to Paradise which I think was a super important hit last year, and Wolfs. I think that has real potential with him and Pitt. Hopefully if Apple was somewhat responsible on its budget (say... $60m?"), we can finally get their first true theatrical hit

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Deadline is expecting Aquaman 2 to finish its domestic run with 150 million domestic. That's quite a bold prediction. 

Deadline expects it to nearly double its current total? Bold, but I respect it.

55 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Deadline is expecting Aquaman 2 to finish its domestic run with 150 million domestic. That's quite a bold prediction. 

Wait, when did they say this? I can't find it anywhere.

2 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

Genuinely up there with one of the worst ad campaigns ever. Even the second trailer, which actually advertised it as a comedy, had zero laughs whatsoever. Maybe it’s legging because of rock bottom expectations? That it wasn’t total garbage, which means that is good enough? It’s wild.

My crowd was laughing throughout, so people are telling their family/friends it's a good time at the movies. It's a modern retelling of Much Ado About Nothing, so the Shakespeare Hive is rising up. After seeing the movie I really need answers from the ad team who thought that first "erotic thriller" trailer was a good idea.

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Wait, when did they say this? I can't find it anywhere.

It’s in the updated piece here:

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-2023-marketshare-new-years-weekend-1235683633/

2.) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (WB) 3,787 (+81) theaters, Fri $6.75M Sat $7.5M Sun$5.25M 3-day $19.5M (-30%), 4-day $26.3M/Total $84.67M/Wk 2

Yes, this isn’t the strongest of DC movies, and you can say that there wasn’t a well-conceived sequel to the highest-grossing DC movie ever ($1.1 billion). I understand that Jason Momoa’s suggestions weren’t a hindrance as can happen when a big star big-foots a project, and I also hear that David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick’s additional story made up for any shortfalls in the first James Wan draft. Through 11 days, Aquaman 2 is already ahead of Marvel mess The Marvels ($84.4M) and well beyond DC dud Shazam: Fury of the Gods ($57.6M). Through 11 days, the sequel is pacing 5% behind DC’s other bomb from earlier this year, The Flash, which finaled at $108.1M. A $150M final domestic take is being forecasted by distribution sources.

3 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

It’s in the updated piece here:

2.) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (WB) 3,787 (+81) theaters, Fri $6.75M Sat $7.5M Sun$5.25M 3-day $19.5M (-30%), 4-day $26.3M/Total $84.67M/Wk 2

Yes, this isn’t the strongest of DC movies, and you can say that there wasn’t a well-conceived sequel to the highest-grossing DC movie ever ($1.1 billion). I understand that Jason Momoa’s suggestions weren’t a hindrance as can happen when a big star big-foots a project, and I also hear that David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick’s additional story made up for any shortfalls in the first James Wan draft. Through 11 days, Aquaman 2 is already ahead of Marvel mess The Marvels ($84.4M) and well beyond DC dud Shazam: Fury of the Gods ($57.6M). Through 11 days, the sequel is pacing 5% behind DC’s other bomb from earlier this year, The Flash, which finaled at $108.1M. A $150M final domestic take is being forecasted by distribution sources.

$150M domestic with the current split it has would mean a worldwide total above $450M. 

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

If JLaw hadn't been in it no would have cared about it.

Yeah but that movie costing $45m is absurd. Solid run for a r rated comedy in 2023, but still didn't double its budget. Its shooting locations were also less exotic than Anyone But You. I believe JLaw absolutely has legit drawing power. But she was way overpaid for that movie

Edited by Pinacolada

5 minutes ago, dallas said:

$150M domestic with the current split it has would mean a worldwide total above $450M. 

Yeah, in that case it might even sneak past Quantumania. That said I have a hard time seeing 150 atm.

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like MCU 2025 will be a repeat of DCEU 2023 where all 4 films flop

Superman: Legacy and The Batman Part II will probably be the biggest CBMs of 2025