Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

8 hours ago, dallas said:

Superman: Legacy and The Batman Part II will probably be the biggest CBMs of 2025

I'm becoming kinda skeptical on Superman Legacy. They already announced the new DCU will have 3 shows out before this movie is released (Creature Commandos, Peacemaker 2 and Waller), and it's also been announced that it will set up an Authority spin-off film, with possibly some other projects as well, like the announced Supergirl film. There are way too many signs that audiences are rejecting the idea of committing to franchises that are requiring too much of our time. I have a lot of confidence in James Gunn as a filmmaker and I believe he will make a great Superman film, but I'm afraid the timing is terrible for what he's planning for the DCU.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

So Aquaman 2 is not huge bomb anymore?

WBs have honestly shown themselves to be very canny. I know it's not popular with movie buffs but Zaslav has made some very good decisions around costs.

Aquaman I'd probably going to break even or a small loss due to his marketing decision. And I don't buy into the people claiming it would have made even more if he had marketed it more. I think the dollar spend on marketing would always be higher than the dollar of revenue it generated.

1 minute ago, Sckathian said:

Aquaman I'd probably going to break even or a small loss due to his marketing decision. And I don't buy into the people claiming it would have made even more if he had marketed it more. I think the dollar spend on marketing would always be higher than the dollar of revenue it generated.

Variety still reported $100M marketing budget and the movie skews too much internationally/china where WB is getting a smaller cut, I doubt the loss will be small, let alone break even.

• Like 2

New Ticket Deal for the Color Purple from Cinemark...

Buy TEN tickets, get ONE free...yeah, I don't get it either...who would actually take part in that one?  But that's the deal posted for New Year's to try to push sales to Cinemark...good now for the rest of The Color Purple's run...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

New Ticket Deal for the Color Purple from Cinemark...

Buy TEN tickets, get ONE free...yeah, I don't get it either...who would actually take part in that one?  But that's the deal posted for New Year's to try to push sales to Cinemark...good now for the rest of The Color Purple's run...

I assume it's because they noticed people bought tickets in groups for Christmas Day. So, they want to repeat that (which is pretty unlikely).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I assume it's because they noticed people bought tickets in groups for Christmas Day. So, they want to repeat that (which is pretty unlikely).

They've been pushing group ticket deals the entire time including pre-release (also had a pay-it-forward system). They clearly believe this to be the type of film that would benefit from it. 

3 hours ago, TomThomas said:

So Aquaman 2 is not huge bomb anymore?

I would say it’s still a huge bomb, just not as huge as a lot of folks were expecting. Between production delays, backstage dramas, reports of bad test screenings and reshoots, the announcement that it was the last film in a dead franchise and terrible presales numbers, it seemed primed for an epic implosion like Flash or The Marvels. Instead it looks like we got a run-of-the-mill flop.

Oh, and today is the last day to redeem TMobile's $5 off any Atom ticket deal...but you can use it for any showing available at any time...so I used mine for Aquaman tomorrow (discount Tuesday returning with $5 off is a nice thing).  Most of the effect of the deal (if it had any) should be finished by Thursday for holdovers, since they don't tend to have showings posted for the following weekend til Tuesday/Wednesday...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Okay so Maoyan has increased its estimate on Aquaman for the FOURTH day in a row! The movie is now projected to finish at ¥471M/$66M USD! Absolutely insane, if estimates continue to rise I can see this making a play at Guardians 3's total. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, karlleng said:

Will Ferrari's box office failure have an impact on Heat 2 being made?

If there's any movie Mann could still get the greenlight for it's that one. It's already a popular book and a sequel to maybe his most highly regarded film. Pretty much what Gladiator 2 is for Ridley Scott.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ugly day today based on what I can see. Wonka/Migration dropping low 40s and Aquabro dropping 50% !! Hopefully movies held better elsewhere. 

Not surprised, all shows for everything past 8 appeared completely dead near me from what I glanced at. Sales are looking very good this afternoon to early evening, though night shows are going to be weak (likely due to people going back to work tomorrow).

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I'm becoming kinda skeptical on Superman Legacy. They already announced the new DCU will have 3 shows out before this movie is released (Creature Commandos, Peacemaker 2 and Waller), and it's also been announced that it will set up an Authority spin-off film, with possibly some other projects as well, like the announced Supergirl film. There are way too many signs that audiences are rejecting the idea of committing to franchises that are requiring too much of our time. I have a lot of confidence in James Gunn as a filmmaker and I believe he will make a great Superman film, but I'm afraid the timing is terrible for what he's planning for the DCU.

Peacemaker S1 is loved, S2 is not coming out any time soon. Creature Commandos is animated. Waller is tbd.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Peacemaker Season 2 is absolutely not coming out anytime soon and Waller probably won't come out until after Superman.