Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

It definitely helped that Maverick got the ridiculous critical acclaim it did, much better than what the first movie did. If twisters does get a similar 60% reception to the original though, I think that would be enough to turn it into a respectable financial success

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, M37 said:

Moving this over here for when mods (eventually) lock and change the pinned thread

Now for a little fun, I made a few edits 😉

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Hide contents

That was done mostly to prove a point, and that point is not that Twisters will be the next TGM, but rather I do think we should be careful not to discount the "has been in cable rotation forever and has gained awareness if not fans along the way".

I do think there was a path for this to be a successful sequel/reboot, in the same vein as - but not on the level of - of Jurassic World or TGM ... but with basically a fresh cast and no real hook, its really just nostalgia in name only, and I don't think that will be enough

[Even though I personally will almost certainly be watching it]

I do think you note the very important difference in the spoiler box though!!! :lol:   If this was a more direct sequel rather than a something closer to a spiritual successor, I'd be more open to lightning striking twice.

FWIW, I did leave myself an "out" in my very next post:

Important Post Script to the above post

I do note the irony in disregarding the recent success of IP based disaster flicks when discounting the prospects of a sorta kinda legacy sequel.  But I do think there is a fundamental difference between the type of film Twisters is shaping up to be and the, oh say, Pacific Rims of the world.

If Twisters is gonna have any real hope at success, it's gonna need what the first one had: A *really good* trailer/marketing campaign that gets its hooks into the GA.  And color me... skeptical at lightning striking twice in this regard.

To expand on this, The OG Twister had a killer marketing campaign.  It just managed to sink its teeth into the GA in a way that it really had no business in doing.

If this version of the film wants to break out, for whatever "break out" even means in this day and age for this type of film, it's gonna need something that gets the GA buzzing pre-release.

And as such...

8auwe4.jpg

• Like 1

I think people are gonna be blown away when the first Beetlejuice trailer drops and it gets like 40m views on YouTube and 100m on Twitter with tons of buzz and share. Granted you could say the same for the Matrix, but still. I'm betting this happens and it translates to dollars.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been more sure of anything box office related than Twister having absolutely zero relevancy under 35. Twisters would have to be some groundbreaking, modern concept that cuts ties to the original and has some sleek campaign to hit Millennials and under. Maybe I’m wrong about over that age being nostalgic, but I’ve also never seen signs of that. Compare to Top Gun, where every Gen Xer I know considered that movie a part of the zeitgeist of their youth. 

Beetlejuice is an absolutely iconic 80s movie for decades now, it really doesn’t matter at all what it did at the box office at the time. Everyone knows who Burton is and you’d be hard pressed to mention his name and not have the immediate reaction be that movie from most. Same if you mention Ryder as well. And even Keaton has the most fondness attached to that role, since most younger demos have never cared for his Batman at all with the Conroys and the Bales and the Pattinsons of the bat world we’ve grown up with. That’s why I was saying all along that he had next to no draw power for The Flash, since those CBMs can’t really rely on over 40 nostalgia. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think people are gonna be blown away when the first Beetlejuice trailer drops and it gets like 40m views on YouTube and 100m on Twitter with tons of buzz and share. Granted you could say the same for the Matrix, but still. I'm betting this happens and it translates to dollars.

Wouldn't surprise me one iota.  Beetlejuice is/was a highly meme-able film (important nowadays!) and straddles the line between Broad GA Appeal and Fierce Protectiveness of a Cult Classic.  I mean, it's the furthest thing from a "cult classic" as it was successful back in the day (just nicking into the Top Ten of 1988), but it kinda sorta feels like it should be one.

And that "feeling like it 'should be one'" is almost as important as being one.  Either way, it is faaaaaar more popular now than it was when it was released, which I suppose is the point I am ultimately making.

The downside is that there is a pretty fierce... protectiveness might be the wrong word here, but "strong feeling of what a Beetlejuice film 'should' be" is kinda wordy.  The expectations of what a film "should" be is ultimately what sunk Matrix Resurrections (which, BTW, is an awesome film and shame on all of you for rejecting it) and that's the danger here.

Well that and "So okay, it's average" striking its ugly head.

But, no, I for one will not be surprised at all should the Beetlejuice sequel blow up.  Especially if they nail the tone.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The Matrix also had pretty horrific reception from most, so Beetlejuice is in the same boat of needing to be loved to ignite. I’m sure TGM would have done very poorly too with like 50% RT ahead of release and audiences being unimpressed. 

Edited by MovieMan89

If Nightmare Before Christmas got a sequel (God forbid) I'd be much more bullish on that than Beetlejuice. I feel like that's the movie most people think of when the name Tim Burton is mentioned these days. I don't know if he even is really that big of a draw on his name alone now, though I guess the popularity of Wednesday might have restored some of his cache. Ryder also probably much better known for Stranger Things now, though I guess that is also a horror adjacent IP.

I suppose if they really promote Jenna Ortega in the sequel that may be the much bigger gen Z hook.

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Gladiator is absolutely iconic but no Crowe and possible Ridley fuckery makes it the most unpredictable movie of all of 2024 for me.

Yeahhh, as I’ve said, I wouldn’t trust Ridley to deliver on this kind of film anymore if his career depended on it. 

I think the biggest difference between the two though is Beetlejuice feels very open to a nostalgia sequel by nature. Gladiator is a huge “wtf?” as far as why would you make a sequel to that movie in the first place? Kind of like “oh hey guys… Titanic 2!!”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If Nightmare Before Christmas got a sequel (God forbid) I'd be much more bullish on that than Beetlejuice. I feel like that's the movie most people think of when the name Tim Burton is mentioned these days. I don't know if he even is really that big of a draw on his name alone now, though I guess the popularity of Wednesday might have restored some of his cache. Ryder also probably much better known for Stranger Things these days, though I guess that is also a horror adjacent IP.

I suppose if they really promote Jenna Ortega in the sequel that may be the much bigger gen Z hook.

I think Nightmare is its own entity, separate from association with anyone. Such is the nature of most animation anyways. Probably most associated with Disney at this point given the huge presence and popularity in their theme parks this century.

And yes, a sequel would be I2 level of box office DOM at least if a compelling hook was there and the movie turned out amazing. 

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If Nightmare Before Christmas got a sequel (God forbid) I'd be much more bullish on that than Beetlejuice. I feel like that's the movie most people think of when the name Tim Burton is mentioned these days. I don't know if he even is really that big of a draw on his name alone now, though I guess the popularity of Wednesday might have restored some of his cache. Ryder also probably much better known for Stranger Things these days, though I guess that is also a horror adjacent IP.

Which is funny considering it was directed by Henry Selick, stopmotion legend.

I can’t even imagine the Millennial turn out alone for a successfully marketed

and executed Nightmare Before Christmas 2. It might be the most untapped gold mine of all left for that demo when I think about it (expects imminent Hollywood announcement) 

For more context as to the scope of its legacy, consider that this year “This is Halloween” actually usurped the undisputed Thriller as the most streamed Halloween song for the season in the U.S. 

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Talking about stopmotion sequels, I think both Corpse Bride and Coraline would have potential. I don't think either needs sequels though.

A Coraline 2 or Nightmare 2 honestly needs to happen just to give stop motion a much needed smash hit at the box office for the first time ever. It is always on the verge of permanent death considering the cost to gross ratio of those films. 

The gigantic home release followings and lasting legacies of the two aforementioned ones may in fact be the only reason they continue to get made at all. 

Edited by MovieMan89

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well that’s certainly an interesting bit from him because it makes it sound like every sequel/reboot/IP he’s done has been driven by money and not an actual vision or want for him to do it. And he holds Nightmare too dear to let that happen to it. Not exactly a  promising sentiment for Beetlejuice 2 quality then…