Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I wasn't really expecting Migration to do well since Wonka ate up enough family business. Anyway it's a good result for it.

Wonka's effect was likely most evident in its subdued opening weekend, maybe in another timeline where Migration is the main family choice of the month it has a larger opening. I do think feel like word of mouth for Wonka isn't quite enthusiastic enough to have the effect of drawing skeptical audiences into it, which might've been a situation where it impacted a decently received Illumination movie's legs. Ofc, families have enough freetime to see multiple films this week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why do they have to drop this many theaters? 

They were early December releases and there was newer releases on December 15, 22, and 25. I don't know if all of them should have been dropped but it's understandable.

• Like 2

Box Office: 2023 Crossing $9B U.S., Universal Wins, ‘Wonka’ Leads New Year’s Weekend – Deadline

New Year’s Weekend 4-day chart (as of Saturday)

1.) Wonka (WB) 4,115 (-98) theaters, Fri $8.6M (+32%) 3-day $25M (+39%), 4-day $33M/Total $143.6M/Wk 3

2.) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (WB) 3,787 (+81) theaters, Fri $6.75M 3-day $19.4M, 4-day $26M/Total $84.3M/Wk 2

3.) Migration (Ill/Uni) 3,839 (+78) theaters, Fri $6.7M (+17%) 3-day $16.67M (+34%), 4-day $21.5M, Total $58.5M/ Wk 2

4.) The Color Purple (WB) 3,203 theaters, Fri $4.1M, 3-day $12.2M, 4-day $16.2M/ Total $48.4M/Wk 1

5.) Boys in the Boat (AMZ MGM) 2,557 theaters, Fri $2.7M, 3-day $8.68M, 4-day $11.587M, Total $25.1M, Wk 1

6.) Anyone But You (Sony) 3,055 theaters, Fri $3.3M (-3%) 3-day $8.25M (+38%), 4-day $10.56M, Total $26.6M/Wk 2

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I guess being the sole action-packed movie during holiday help aquaman from total collapse like flash or Shazam.

It hasn’t hurt, that’s for sure, but I think it’s worth considering that Momoa is a plus here, unlike, say Ezra Miller in Flash. Jason was well-liked in the role in the first film and is coming off a highly-praised performance in FastX earlier this year. He might not be a Tom Cruise-level draw but people like the guy and audiences generally do prefer to watch stars they like.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The WOM simply not strong enough to have a second weekend increase.

A 30% drop means the WOM Is good. Only family movies (Wonka, migration, Trolls) went up.

Anyone but you the adult movie Is doing Better and still made -5%.

4 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

It hasn’t hurt, that’s for sure, but I think it’s worth considering that Momoa is a plus here, unlike, say Ezra Miller in Flash. Jason was well-liked in the role in the first film and is coming off a highly-praised performance in FastX earlier this year. He might not be a Tom Cruise-level draw but people like the guy and audiences generally do prefer to watch stars they like.

This. WB waited too long with the sequel, there was Johnny and Amber scandal, endless rumors about poor quality and by the time of release SH trend faded so A2 poor boxoffice isn't on him. If anything, he may be saving it a little cause, as you say, people prefer to wacth stars they like even if a movie isn't all that.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I feel like migration is holding better than PIB2 right? 

I wouldn’t phrase it as holding better, but as it’s last 3 days were higher than Puss from same time frame, would say it’s riding the holiday wave a little higher 

However, do not think it will have similar performance in January, expecting it to crash down a bit harder

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why do they have to drop this many theaters? 

They were mostly dropped for Christmas Day, when it had only a +28% from Xmas Eve, just the counts were not updated mid-week. A +13% Fri is in line with the rest of the films 

• Like 3

Migration's following Ferdinand's patterns in 2017 more or less, but that movie started crashing after New Year's while Puss didn't, so that will be the big test for Mig. Sing 2 really collapsed after New Year's, though I do feel like that was more frontloaded during the holiday season than Migration has been.

11 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

I mean, it's still doing terribly, lol. I don't think we should be looking for any positives about this performance, just let it die peacefully.

(This is about Aquaman 2, btw, not The Iron Claw)

if the budget is actually $200M it's not even going to be a top 5 flop of the year

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Box Office: 2023 Crossing $9B U.S., Universal Wins, ‘Wonka’ Leads New Year’s Weekend – Deadline

New Year’s Weekend 4-day chart (as of Saturday)

1.) Wonka (WB) 4,115 (-98) theaters, Fri $8.6M (+32%) 3-day $25M (+39%), 4-day $33M/Total $143.6M/Wk 3

2.) Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (WB) 3,787 (+81) theaters, Fri $6.75M 3-day $19.4M, 4-day $26M/Total $84.3M/Wk 2

3.) Migration (Ill/Uni) 3,839 (+78) theaters, Fri $6.7M (+17%) 3-day $16.67M (+34%), 4-day $21.5M, Total $58.5M/ Wk 2

4.) The Color Purple (WB) 3,203 theaters, Fri $4.1M, 3-day $12.2M, 4-day $16.2M/ Total $48.4M/Wk 1

5.) Boys in the Boat (AMZ MGM) 2,557 theaters, Fri $2.7M, 3-day $8.68M, 4-day $11.587M, Total $25.1M, Wk 1

6.) Anyone But You (Sony) 3,055 theaters, Fri $3.3M (-3%) 3-day $8.25M (+38%), 4-day $10.56M, Total $26.6M/Wk 2

The general trend are the more adult-skewing, the bigger the Friday bump. Kids-friendly movies only went up marginally. Some even decrease but they hold up better during mid-week. The only the exception is ABY, the holds are best among top yet still enjoy heathy Friday bump. Told ya, abs and boosts always work.

• Like 1

Some decent double figure Friday jumps for Aquaman, Colour Purple, Anyone But You etc. 

Was surprised to see Aquaman’s PTA better than Migrations, didn’t realise Migration was the second widest release this season behind Wonka. 

I hadn’t heard of Boys in the Boat until a week ago so good for it doing so well.