Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh I can definitely see $400m+ for sure now for Aquaman, especially being at $335m after a $41m worldwide weekend. I’m guessing it’s already playing everywhere? 

It will open on Japan next Friday.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

The 400M are locked , maybe 450M ?

Yeah, really can’t see it doing less than 65M globally from now on with 41M this weekend 

Very good holds both OS and DOM, which means WOM really isn’t bad now that it doesn’t have holidays inflating it.

420M-ish probably, decent all things considered

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, MisterLibby said:

Anyone But You a great illustration of the power of TikTok. If you want to sell your movie to young people you gotta get it rolling on there. See also Burn, Salt

It can’t be bought or planned. This “skipping after the film” wasn’t planted by Sony, it just happens, is viral then takes off. 

13 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

the highest grossing DC movie since...Aquman

this is hilarious. WB basically dumped it and gave The Flash the giant marketing push after that one received rave test screenings and this was trashed. It is also outgrossing The Marvels when this is the dead end in a franchise and that movie was setting up things for the future. 

• Like 7

The Migration drop is on the harsher side compared to Ferdinand, so I do suspect the family audience driving it is starting to erode. Still gonna be way profitable obviously but Puss 2 staying power looking less likely.

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

A24 are dropping the ball by not pushing it for awards.

The strong box office total (for its type of movie) might be enough for it reach a few nominations. If Efron makes SAG on Wednesday (they do go for unexpected/random nominees from time to time) that would indicate industry support of some kind.

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Is it still possible for Wonka to hit $600M? I hope it does but idk if it still has another $145M left in the tank. 

i think the movie will finish around 210-220M in DOM . For the 600M , it should make around 90-100M and this week , he made 55M (47M Tuesday/Sunday) . With zero competition ( or maybe just Mean Girls) this month and not much more next month ( Argylle/Madame Web) , i think the movie will have good holds

With Anyone But You success , i have a great stat for this :

Movie with Wide Openers which increase in 2nd Weekend AND 3rd Weekend :

E.T (1982) (1103 theaters in opening weekend)

Tootsie (1982) (943)

FlashDance (1983) (1103)

Risky Business (1983) (670)

Splash (1984) (829)

Crocodile Dundee (1986) (879)

Ruthless People (1986) (1111)

Fatal Attraction (1987) (758)

Overboard (1987) (1126) 

Batteries not Included (1987) (1328)

Scream (1997) (1413)

Terrifier 2 (2022) (770)

First movie (with 1500+ theatres for OW) to increases two weekends in a row

• Like 5

It's hilarious that Aquaman, the movie Warner Bros left to die is now set to become the highest grossing DCEU movie of the past 5 years. If WB put actual effort into this movie's marketing, it may have actually gotten close to breaking even. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The Migration drop is on the harsher side compared to Ferdinand, so I do suspect the family audience driving it is starting to erode. Still gonna be way profitable obviously but Puss 2 staying power looking less likely.

The reception, while decent, doesn't even hold a candle to the raves Puss 2 got. Still, relative to its budget it will be a hit in the end.

36 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

That honestly wouldn't be awful for a storytelling dead end left over from a defunct regime. It'll still lose money since it was destined to from the moment the reboot was announced, but at least the blow will be softened somewhat, which is more than can be said for its ancestor Dark Phoenix.

Anyone But You is the real highlight of the weekend of course. Two weekend increases in a row is kind of unprecedented. Have there been any other like it before?