Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

I am on my phone but saw that nobody opened a weekend thread. 

Can someone post the source for the previews number?

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-night-swim-wonka-1235695828/

Already a Friday Update ( it's very early, it's only the morning at the Pacific Coast ) :

Wonka : Fri : 3,8M , Weekend : 12M (-46%)

Night Swim : Fri : 4,7M , Weekend : 11,5M 

Migration : Fri : 3M, Weekend : 10,7M (-37%)

Aquaman 2 : Fri : 3M , Weekend : 10M (-45%)

Anyone But You : Fri : 3M , Weekend : 9,5M (+9%!!!)

Boys and The Boat : Fri : 1,5M , Weekend : 5,25M (-37%)

I think all the movies , except Night Swim maybe , are underestimated expecially Wonka

predictions for me :

Wonka : 15,5-16M

Night Swim : 11,5M

Migration : 11,5-12M

Aquaman 2 : 10,5M

Anyone But You : 10M

Boys and the Boat : 5,5M

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-night-swim-wonka-1235695828/

Already a Friday Update ( it's very early, it's only the morning at the Pacific Coast ) :

Wonka : Fri : 3,8M , Weekend : 12M (-46%)

Night Swim : Fri : 4,7M , Weekend : 11,5M 

Migration : Fri : 3M, Weekend : 10,7M (-37%)

Aquaman 2 : Fri : 3M , Weekend : 10M (-45%)

Anyone But You : Fri : 3M , Weekend : 9,5M (+9%!!!)

Boys and The Boat : Fri : 1,5M , Weekend : 5,25M (-37%)

I think all the movies , except Night Swim maybe , are underestimated expecially Wonka

predictions for me :

Wonka : 15,5-16M

Night Swim : 11,5M

Migration : 11,5-12M

Aquaman 2 : 10,5M

Anyone But You : 10M

Boys and the Boat : 5,5M

1st really lousy day up (and down) the East Coast for winter weather from late Friday night-Saturday night, so Deadline is probably staying conservative til that effect is known.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Grand Cine said:

Good previews , much better than i anticipated

A bit better, yes. But the Friday presales looked worse in my theaters and some other reports too. But at least it seems that the walk-ups are quite good.

Yeah I think 75 is gonna be the floor if ABY is 10+, and 100 watch is on. Crazy if this of all things ends up with an all timer 21st century multi. Very good for rom-coms though, I think it’s important these type of non-tentpole genres don’t die out 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

$1.45m should get it closer to $12-14m than Deadline’s 8-10. 

Seeing Night Swim in an hour. 

Night Swim is pretty boring and clichéd. Can see a cinemascore in the C range. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’ve had a few people tell me now that Aquabro was enjoyable solely for Momoa… I may have underestimated the appeal he can have (esp with females) 

I bet that is the case, but he was actually the weak link for me. I felt like he was playing himself even more so in this film than his others (especially the last 3rd). The high pitched screaming and “kowabunga” style yelling he does gets old fast. 

Excellent for Anyone But You if that Deadline number holds. 

anyone but you I think is sony, meaning its going straight to netlifx

with its current momentum its almost certain to get the "biggest movie in the world" title on feb 14

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

TCP is done.

ABY 100m domestic is starting to look real.

The Color Purple being under The Boys in the Boat for the weekend would be a pretty bad drop.

TCP weekdays were already poor, so a bad weekend drop would just be terrible.

I hope this is when people finally understand the difference, that pretty much all Netflix Romcoms (with some exceptions especially in the teen-department) are horribly written, lazy and pretty much always lack chemistry. Ticket to Paradise or ABY are great reminders, that even if the story is not oscar worthy, a great couple of actors with charme and chemistry just make a good time at the theaters. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’ve had a few people tell me now that Aquabro was enjoyable solely for Momoa… I may have underestimated the appeal he can have (esp with females) 

Anecdotal but my mom really liked Aquaman 2, more than the first and more than most superhero movies we've seen recently. Even at Christmas she was going around telling friends and family how much she liked it. Maybe the movie is just having really good WOM among moms and children and less so among the primary demographic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dallas said:

Anecdotal but my mom really liked Aquaman 2, more than the first and more than most superhero movies we've seen recently. Even at Christmas she was going around telling friends and family how much she liked it. Maybe the movie is just having really good WOM among moms and children and less so among the primary demographic. 

He's called MOMoa for a reason.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I genuinely think one of the smartest (or perhaps luckiest) decisions made for Anyone But You was casting Powell and Sweeney. They're both up-and-comers who have bona fide hits under their belt that make them recognizable (Euphoria for Sweeney, which is very big among the online Gen Z/Millenial crowd; and Maverick for Powell which was strong for older white women) but they aren't A-listers to the point where it's just "Clooney and Roberts in another movie together". They are small enough to disappear into their roles, and big enough to be recognizable. 

It also helps that they're both strong actors who have genuine chemistry with one another. One thing I've been noticing lately is that the "movie star" isn't as dead as we thought it was 2015-2019. Sure, you don't get surefire 200M grossers just by casting an A-lister anymore, but if you get the right actor in the right role, they are massive massive draws. The "franchise" trend of the 2010s (which is still strong mind you) is somewhat becoming eclipsed by a "star + concept" model which honestly excites me. 

If ABY can make it to 80M total (or screw it, 100M seems possible) I think it's a huge win for the industry, a huge win for rom-coms, a huge win for movie stars, and a huge win for theaters. 

• Like 12
  • Heart 1

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The "franchise" trend of the 2010s (which is still strong mind you) is somewhat becoming eclipsed by a "star + concept" model which honestly excites me. 

It's been this way for some time, tbh. See Joaquin Phoenix as Joker, Margot Robbie as Barbie, The Rock as Black Adam, Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga as country singers, etc. Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn may legitimately be the most impactful comic book casting since Nicholson as Joker way back when. She is going to bring an insane amount of hype that already high profile film.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 2