Grand Cine

MLK Weekend Thread | 3-Day/4-Day Estimates: Mean Girls 28/32, Beekeeper 16.8/19.2, Wonka 8.4/10.9, Migration 6.2/8.3, Anyone 6.9/8.2

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As a Cowboys Hater For Decades, all I have to say in response is:

alfred-never.gif

(best result on Any Given Sunday?  A Niners win))

((second best result on Any Given Sunday? A Cowboys loss))

(((Absolutely best result possible when the Niners aren't playing?  'boys getting embarrassed at home in the playoffs)))

====

Sorry*, man.  But Cowboys Hate is Pure here.

* but not sorry. 😉

Fair enough, I respect it.

Just seeing Green Bay get a HOF qb for the third time in a row might drive me to insanity is all :( 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As a Cowboys Hater For Decades, all I have to say in response is:

alfred-never.gif

(best result on Any Given Sunday?  A Niners win))

((second best result on Any Given Sunday? A Cowboys loss))

(((Absolutely best result possible when the Niners aren't playing?  'boys getting embarrassed at home in the playoffs)))

====

Sorry*, man.  But Cowboys Hate is Pure here.

* but not sorry. 😉

Well in my case it would be a Seahawks win but if the Cowboys were playing the 49ers and it did not affect the hawks. I would root for the Niners all the way. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yup. For example, it's not even like The Little Mermaid which did 2.3x its budget on an extremely domestic heavy split and basically nothing from China. Especially since kids movies do well on ancillares, that movie might have actually broken even.

This, however, is doing 2.0-2.1x on a very international/China heavy split. If this broke even then Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Black Adam, Eternals, Ant-Man 3, etc all broke even too.

Of course they did, with anciliary revenue, toys and other merchandise. 

If Hollywood worked the way many of you think, Hollywood wouldn't exist at all.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Of course they did, with anciliary revenue, toys and other merchandise. 

If Hollywood worked the way many of you think, Hollywood wouldn't exist at all.

Eternals flopped

And Aquaman's very overseas/China heavy split will increase its break even point.

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

With a $200M budget and $476M WW with a domestic heavy split ($215M; 45/55) Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania will eventually break even and be profitable for Disney.

giphy.gif

Sure! While damaging the brand and ensuring the Marvels was a huge flop :) things don’t exist in a vacuum friend, context is king

Edited by abracadabra1998
  • Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Sure! While damaging the brand and ensuring the Marvels was a huge flop :) things don’t exist in a vacuum friend, context is king

Oh yeah it definitely damaged the brand, it's why GOTG 3 had a weak opening weekend and (honestly) a total lower than Vol. 2.

But what I am arguing is that since doing 2.0-2.1x the budget on a OS/China heavy split is breaking even, then doing 2.38x the budget on a very domestic heavy split is also breaking even and Ant-Man 3 is profitable. 

9 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Fair enough, I respect it.

Just seeing Green Bay get a HOF qb for the third time in a row might drive me to insanity is all :( 

I am just hoping this one turns out to a halfway decent person and not a sleazeball or Qnon spouting freak. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Ant-Man spent more on P&A

I searched it up and it said $100M marketing 

and anyway Ant-Man 3 made significantly more than Aquaman 2 domestically ($215M vs ~$120M; 80% difference) and will end up more worldwide (~$476M vs ~$435M?) so it will probably generate much more revenue.

WB sent Aquaman 2 to have a quick death. Not even a freaking premiere event, nothing, nada.

It's surprising, because Aquaman is the only DCEU movie that made more than 1 billion worldwide. So, WB should have focused on the sequel to this movie. Instead of that, they promoted a Flash movie featuring a crazy lunatic criminal that flopped so bad that nobody even cared about it.

Aquaman 2 wasn't a perfect /great movie, but it was a ton of fun and it had a soul and a charismatic lead. I'm glad it's not flopping as bad as previous movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

With a $200M budget and $476M WW with a domestic heavy split ($215M; 45/55) Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantumania will eventually break even and be profitable for Disney.

giphy.gif

I mean, yes? Obviously?

The mockery with ant man is not because it was a bomb, it’s because it was the fatality in the MCU image with the audience

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, yes? Obviously?

The mockery with ant man is not because it was a bomb, it’s because it was the fatality in the MCU image with the audience

Yes definitely I agree with you, and Ant-Man 3 pisses me off specifically because it was tracking really well but Marvel blew it with a trash script (and bad CGI of course). 

@Legion Again said that it would've done like $140M OW --> $350M total with good reception, ticket sales were on fire.

And brand damage from AM3 (with assistance from MoM and LaT) is why GOTG 3 had a horrible opening weekend. Maybe it's just me but $118M is still really bad and the fact that it was EVER tracking for <$100M is awful. If it had bad reception it would've opened below $100M. 

Love and Thunder did $343M domestic as the sequel to a $315M film with bad reception, GOTG 3 did $358M domestic as the sequel to a $389M film with great reception, only like 5% above LaT or so and that's a clear declining trend that shows how much damage Thor 4 and Ant-Man 3 did

58 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I searched it up and it said $100M marketing 

and anyway Ant-Man 3 made significantly more than Aquaman 2 domestically ($215M vs ~$120M; 80% difference) and will end up more worldwide (~$476M vs ~$435M?) so it will probably generate much more revenue.

Dude your obsession with this movie is really bizarre. You spent weeks constantly making absurd statements and predictions, calling sub 200M globally, which is fine but you clearly dislike something about this movie and keep spending a lot of energy in it everytime someone dares to say something good about it’s performance.

Maybe it’s time to simply accept most people don’t agreed with you instead of trying convince people they’re wrong and you’re right.

21 hours ago, grim22 said:

Has Jonathan Majors had the fastest rise and fall of any actor? Yes he's been going along in the indie circuit and TV but his big "coming out" to the world was Quantamania in February, then Creed 3 in early March, the US Army ad on like March 18 or so and then the allegations on March 25.

Literally 6 weeks from the next Thanos to snapped out of existence.

why did Jonathan Majors out of nowhere start getting a bunch of roles anyway? It's not like he stands out that much in any way. He must have some kind of connections

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Yes definitely I agree with you, and Ant-Man 3 pisses me off specifically because it was tracking really well but Marvel blew it with a trash script (and bad CGI of course). 

@Legion Again said that it would've done like $140M OW --> $350M total with good reception, ticket sales were on fire.

And brand damage from AM3 (with assistance from MoM and LaT) is why GOTG 3 had a horrible opening weekend. Maybe it's just me but $118M is still really bad and the fact that it was EVER tracking for <$100M is awful. If it had bad reception it would've opened below $100M. 

Love and Thunder did $343M domestic as the sequel to a $315M film with bad reception, GOTG 3 did $358M domestic as the sequel to a $389M film with great reception, only like 5% above LaT or so and that's a clear declining trend that shows how much damage Thor 4 and Ant-Man 3 did

Yeah the hype was palpable, everything that could’ve go wrong with Ant Man happened. Some is their fault (selling this as some huge event) and some isn’t (Majors case). 

They’ll need to deal with some disappointments from now on and make quality projects in order to try regain trust. There was many factors and many other movies building to this, but Ant Man was the implosion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Dude your obsession with this movie is really bizarre. You spent weeks constantly making absurd statements and predictions, calling sub 200M globally, which is fine but you clearly dislike something about this movie and keep spending a lot of energy in it everytime someone dares to say something good about it’s performance.

Maybe it’s time to simply accept most people don’t agreed with you instead of trying convince people they’re wrong and you’re right.

Yes that is true. This movie definitely did take me by surprise, I was honestly expecting another crash like Shazam 2, Flash, and Marvels. 

• Like 1

Jason Mamoa as Aquaman has always been pretty likable to the general public, and despite being part of the old DCEU I think a lot of people don't associate him with it. I never understood why people think it would do worse than The Marvels. People are really blinded by the success of Captain Marvel which can be 99% attributed to Endgame.

• Like 1