filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

4 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

For real lol.

At some point the "outrage" becomes impossible to take seriously (not that it, admittedly, hasn't always been largely manufactured and cherry-picked to begin with).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

For real lol.

At some point the "outrage" becomes impossible to take seriously (not that it, admittedly, hasn't always been largely manufactured and cherry-picked to begin with).

It's extra annoying because none of these people seemed to care about other women getting snubbed until it's Barbie. 

On 1/24/2024 at 5:22 AM, CoolioD1 said:

I do find it funny the Oscars nominated the two biggest movies of the year last year and two of the top three this year. For years all those articles and takes about how the Oscars need to recognise popular movies, all basically meaning Marvel movies. And as soon as Marvel aren't on top anymore the Oscars go straight back to nominating the biggest movies lol.

It is abundantly clear Academy is capable to nominate blockbuster popular movies, but these movies have to "behave" like a Oscar movie to begin with. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

It's extra annoying because none of these people seemed to care about other women getting snubbed until it's Barbie. 

You can't care if you don't know/didn't watch.

People read to much into this but it's really just about the movie being popular and therefore snubs affecting more people than snubs for barely seen movies or flops. No one was crying over Robbie missing for Babylon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Feminist movement was set back 100 years because Gerwig and Robbie weren't nominated for director and actress.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there is voice to scale back influence of international bloc in this category. Remember how they changed the nomination process for animation after the Lego movie snub? 

Throughout the year director branch has been the branch I have least issue with their nominees. They got ball to pick up some very deserving but under radar works like mulholland drive, talk to her, city of god, diving bell and the butterfly, amour, Cold War. I am glad they resist the temptation and go for Triet and glazer, especially the latter where zone of interest could be the most skillful experimental film since tree of life. 

On 1/23/2024 at 8:07 AM, Grebacio said:

Another year in which animated movies don't get nominations outside of "Best Animated Feauture". What a great way to treat the medium 🙄

Got news for you: It has always been that way with Animated films.

Hell, they did not even nominate an animated film for BP until "Beauty and the Beast" in 1991.

18 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the razzies somehow nominated Russell Crowe in The Pope’s Exorcist in the worst actor category

I can't remember the last time the Razzies were actually funny. Sometime in the last century I think.

One surprise is Gladstone getting best actress instead of best supporting actress

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I can't remember the last time the Razzies were actually funny. Sometime in the last century I think.

One surprise is Gladstone getting best actress instead of best supporting actress

They were always campaining her for lead even though yes it is a supporting role .

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

I do think this year is the perfect timing for the academy to award a movie that's both a box office success and a critics darling, but the academy does what it does sometimes so who knows lol

Most of the same people currently whining about people being upset over the Barbie snubs would literally go nuclear on the internet if Opp loses. If yall think the Barbie backlash is annoying… 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Where they choose to campaign doesn’t really matter. Remember Kate winslet was put in the supporting actress for the reader and has been a near-locked frontrunner but shocked the world by missing in that category, only to reappear in lead actress. The same thing happened to Stanfield when he was clearly a lead in Judas. 

And see how barbie got in adapted after all no matter how WB campaign it in original. 

before the nomination, I wouldn’t even rule out 10% chance that Gladstone may ends up in supporting actress category instead. There are precedents, and her screentime in that movie, especially the second half doesn’t play into her advantage. Luckily that movie is 3 hours half to make % of screentime less problematic as a lead. 

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Most of the same people currently whining about people being upset over the Barbie snubs would literally go nuclear on the internet if Opp loses. If yall think the Barbie backlash is annoying… 

Honestly think the Barbie outrage is subdued and mature enough considering this is the second time Gerwig has been snubbed. There were protestations over the Little Women snub in 2020 too so I feel this is a lot of pent-up frustration among fans building up over the years that has finally exploded and amplified by the fact that Barbie is a much bigger film than LW (the 2020 awards in general were crappy to women as highlighted by this great video by YouTuber Be Kind Rewind)

Now compare that to the dumbass Rachel Zegler Snow White manufactured outrage that seems like a collective kindergarten tantrum. The Oppie fans would have also burned the house down if something like The Color Purple had replaced it in the Best Picture category.

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Honestly think the Barbie outrage is subdued and mature enough considering this is the second time Gerwig has been snubbed. There were protestations over the Little Women snub in 2020 too so I feel this is a lot of pent-up frustration among fans building up over the years that has finally exploded and amplified by the fact that Barbie is a much bigger film than LW (the 2020 awards in general were crappy to women as highlighted by this great video by YouTuber Be Kind Rewind)

Now compare that to the dumbass Rachel Zegler Snow White manufactured outrage that seems like a collective kindergarten tantrum. The Oppie fans would have also burned the house down if something like The Color Purple had replaced it in the Best Picture category.

I guarantee you the majority of Barbie fans out there haven't watched Greta's previous works lol I am not saying she doesn't have a fanbase but most of those complaining probably only watched one or two movies this year and have no idea how the academy works.

7 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

A good amount of people "whining" about people being upset over the Barbie snubs are women of color. I didn't know they were a big part of Opp fanbase.

Also, your definition of "whining" is pretty arbitrary, since you don't seem to think people upset over the Barbie snubs are whining.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's funny how people try to justify Outrage when they share the feelings. Most people complaing about Barbie snubs don't likely follow Greta works.

They also use sexism accusations to criticize Margot Robbie's snub in Best Actress nominations. Not considering that her competition was other women.

Edited by Kon

3 hours ago, Kon said:

It's funny how people try to justify Outrage when they share the feelings. Most people complaing about Barbie snubs don't likely follow Greta works.

They also use sexism accusations to criticize Margot Robbie's snub in Best Actress nominations. Not considering that her competition was other women.

It feels like a Onion headline. Margot Robie robbed of a Oscar Nomination due to sexisim because she was beat out by four other women.