AniNate

Best Picture predictions 2024

Usually the now annual foreign film spot comes from a movie from Cannes but I can't pick it out from that line-up. It's actually mostly english language films this year. I would love for either Sean Baker or Andrea Arnold to have a real breakthrough moment.

• Like 1

Civil War looking less likely here given more muted late reviews, but Challengers reception seems far more enthusiastic and less controversial so it definitely seems it's gonna be a factor. Question is if Queer comes out this year and also gets a glowing reception if that might split voter camps.

Anora wins the Palme

It's Neon's 5th winner in a row (Anatomy of a Fall, Triangle of Sadness, Titane, Parasite). 4/5 were BP nominees.

Between the seeming accessibility of the film, the international passion and Sean Baker's industry cache, I think this will be his Academy breakthrough

• Like 2

I was just joking to my friend the other day Anora will win at Cannes because it is from Neon. Didn't expect that turn out to be true for Neon. 5 years in a row of wining. Isn't that a bit too great to be true?  

Post Cannes predictions:

1. Dune 2 (WB)

2. Anora (NEON)

3. Blitz (APPLE)

4. Conclave (FOCUS)

5. A Real Pain (SEARCHLIGHT)

6. Sing Sing (A24)

7. The Nickel Boys (AMAZON/MGM)

8. The Piano Lesson (NETFLIX)

9. Gladiator 2 (PARAMOUNT)- can Ridley strike gold once again?

10. Queer (TBD)

ALTERNATES:

Hard Truths (BLEECKER)- mediocre distributor/can Mike Leigh strike gold once again?

Here (SONY)- can Robert Zemeckis strike gold once again?

Joker 2 (WB)- can Todd Phillips strike lightning once again?

Juror No. 2 (WB)- can Clint strike gold once again?

UNLIKELY:

-Challengers (AMAZON/MGM)- the box office didn't take off, will need to remain in conversation with critics/industry but might lack the passion, Luca has a more prestige picture releasing in the fall

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Post Cannes predictions:

1. Dune 2 (WB)

2. Anora (NEON)

3. Blitz (APPLE)

4. Conclave (FOCUS)

5. A Real Pain (SEARCHLIGHT)

6. Sing Sing (A24)

7. The Nickel Boys (AMAZON/MGM)

8. The Piano Lesson (NETFLIX)

9. Gladiator 2 (PARAMOUNT)- can Ridley strike gold once again?

10. Queer (TBD)

ALTERNATES:

Hard Truths (BLEECKER)- mediocre distributor/can Mike Leigh strike gold once again?

Here (SONY)- can Robert Zemeckis strike gold once again?

Joker 2 (WB)- can Todd Phillips strike lightning once again?

Juror No. 2 (WB)- can Clint strike gold once again?

UNLIKELY:

-Challengers (AMAZON/MGM)- the box office didn't take off, will need to remain in conversation with critics/industry but might lack the passion, Luca has a more prestige picture releasing in the fall

You think the academy will go for Dune? As much as I would love it, I'll believe it when I see it, so to speak 😛

24 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

You think the academy will go for Dune? As much as I would love it, I'll believe it when I see it, so to speak 😛

The Academy embraced Part One and WB is a strong campaigner + this might be their #1 push since their other potential contenders this year are Joker 2 (will lightning strike twice for awards here?) and Eastwood's final movie (Furiosa is likely dead even for a tech push after its box office). Doesn't seem that out there tbh.

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Academy embraced Part One and WB is a strong campaigner + this might be their #1 push since their other potential contenders this year are Joker 2 (will lightning strike twice for awards here?) and Eastwood's final movie (Furiosa is likely dead even for a tech push after its box office). Doesn't seem that out there tbh.

Oh I definitely think it will make the best picture lineup, but winner? That's pretty bold.

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Dune isn't getting nominated for acting and possibly not for writing (depending on the competition) so there's that. At the most I can see Villeneuve win director. 

Austin Butler could get in Supporting.

But for the record, no I don't think it'll win. But I have it #1 just because it's the likeliest for a nom

Gun to my head, I'd say Anora wins

I have a feeling Austin Butler is never receiving another Oscar nomination for the rest of his career lmao. At least he'll always have the bragging rights of being an Academy Award Nominee.

• ...wtf 1