Rushmore

546 points, 9 lists

"I saved Latin. What did you ever do?"

812Z1DivkmL.jpg

Box Office: 19.1M

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Metacritic: 86

Awards: 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 2 Independent Spirit Awards

Roger Ebert's Review: "Anderson and Wilson are good offbeat filmmakers. They fill the corners of their story with nice touches, like the details of Max's wildly overambitious stage production of "Serpico.'' But their film seems torn between conflicting possibilities: It's structured like a comedy, but there are undertones of darker themes, and I almost wish they'd allowed the plot to lead them into those shadows. The Max Fischer they give us is going to grow up into Benjamin Braddock. But there is an unrealized Max who would have become Charles Foster Kane."

Its Legacy: Wes Anderson's first hit, setting the space for bigger hits to come. Revitalized Bill Murray's career, launching a long career as an actor in independent features. Launched Jason Schwartzman's career. #34 on Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies. #10 on Entertainment Weekly's Best Modern Romances. #22 on Slant's 100 Best Films of the 1990s. Joined the Criterion Collection in 2000. Joined the National Film Registry in 2016. 

Commentary: Before Wes Anderson became the indie darling we know and love today, he was just an eccentric youngster who just wanted to break it into the business. And while Bottle Rocket was a good first start, it was this Touchstone title that made him a name in Hollywood. A name that still puts butts into arthouse cinemas around the world and has been parodied to death everywhere. And in a way, Rushmore is a bit fascinating to analyze as one of his earlier works. Before his signature style of quirky characters and precise, symmetrical framing really took off in his later works.

It’s of course very witty, very humorous, and very beautiful, as one would expect from Wes. But visually, it's a lot more relaxed in the blocking and cinematography and production design, yet still centered and in control at the same time. It creates a film that looks great, yet not as showy or distinct as Grand Budapest Hotel or Asteroid City. But even outside of looking great, it’s got a fantastic story to get viewers hooked into this strange world and characters Anderson had created. A story about alienation, adolescence confusion, and the frustrations of infatuation with somebody you know you can never really obtain. These are ideas Anderson would talk about in other films, but it was already excellent and well-defined even at an early age, and shows this man knew what he wanted and was going to use this as a blueprint for greater things to come.

Sure enough, it was a solid hit with critics and in the box office, gave Anderson a blank check for new features like The Royal Tenenbaums, revived Bill Murray’s career, and is still a favorite amongst Wes heads even today, as well as cited as an all-time classic for comedy. Everybody’s got a favorite Anderson, and for many participants, at least for the Disney options available, it’s this one.

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1

Dumbo

560 points, 13 lists

"What's the matter with his ears? I don't see nothin' wrong with 'em. I think they're cute."

71GtUHw4u8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 1.3M (rentals)

Rotten Tomatoes: 98%

Metacritic: 96

Awards: 1 Academy Award and 1 nomination, 1 Cannes Film Festival Award, 

Roger Ebert's Review: N/A

Its Legacy: The film that saved Disney after Pinocchio and Fantasia flopped. Highly controversial for racist content. Called "Mammal of the Year" by Time magazine. Leonard Maltin's favorite Disney animated film. Received a popular theme park attraction at all the Disney theme parks, a train ride in Disneyland, and a land in Walt Disney World. Earned a television series in 1985. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts. Earned a live-action remake. Gave Sterling Holloway a paycheck.

Commentary: Within the Golden Age of Disney, Dumbo, in many respects, feels kind of an afterthought amongst Disney fans and the general public. Films like Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, and Bambi all broke new ground and redefined the medium of animation. Dumbo meanwhile is a pretty simple, lowkey story. Intentionally so, as it was a low-budget feature done to help recoup the losses off of Walt’s more ambitious titles.

However, as the film itself emphasizes, being simple and lowkey isn’t bad. In fact, the supposed shortcomings are what make the film so long-lasting and beloved. At 64 minutes, the film is quite brief, meaning there’s no fat or any feeling like the movie drags. It just keeps on going and makes sure you get a good story at the end. There’s also fun songs, great bits of slapstick, and one of the most insane animation sequences in history. The famed Pink Elephants on Parade scene is still up there as one of the most mind-blowing feats of animation ever, a perfect concoction of terror, confusion, whimsy, and comedy that shows this low-budget romp can still offer a lot of value and creativity.

And through a simple story of overcoming adversity and fighting against bullies, we have a movie that is relatable to everybody watching and full of powerful, tearjerking moments that hit the soul and never look back. It’s through all the creativity, the sadness, and the joy that we get a film that may not be as iconic as Snow White or Bambi, but comes pretty damn close. It inspired Gene Siskel to love movies, it’s a favorite of Leonard Maltin, and has continued to serve as a perfect introductory piece to the world of cinema and animation for generations upon generations. Add on the always classic spinner ride at the Disney parks, and Dumbo is a story that is always resonant, always relatable, and will never leave us.

The only downside? It has racist stuff in it.

• Like 9
  • Heart 1

4 hours ago, Grebacio said:

I didn't watch all my pending movies, and also I forgot to include Enchanted on my list. Hoping somebody else included it

I did - I think - but not highly.

The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1 point, 1 list, avg. ranking #100)

We're all looking for the guy who did this.gif

Edited by Morieris
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Eric George said:

he film that saved Disney after Pinocchio and Fantasia flopped.

yes this is true. It was a lower budget movie. But of course back then Disney movies would be re-released in theaters and they would make money as there was no home video or streaming back then. They all became profitable eventually.

#420 - Return to Halloweentown (4 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #97)

return-to-halloweentown.gif

#419 - Tangled Before Ever After, Up Up and Away (5 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #96)

45ea9b7d4bebdd395987681f97ff33aa.gif

#418 - Descendants (5 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #71)

giphy.gif

#417 - Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason, Finding Neverland, Frank and Ollie (6 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #95)

2783db510a0c4498925a94d5ab179f2b.gif

#416 - Cursed, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, The King's Man, The Personal History of David Copperfield (7 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #94)

tumblr_pyqszlFyk61qaj0h3o6_r2_540.gifv

#415 - Dinosaur, Super Mario Bros. (8 points, 2 lists, avg. ranking #97)

smb-93.gif

#414 - Piglet's Big Movie, The Rookie (8 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #93)

rookie.gif?w=640

#413 - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Strange World (8 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #47)

giphy.gif

#412 - Kim Possible Movie: So the Drama, Wild Hogs (9 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #92)

wild-hogs-fist-bump.gif

#411 - Pixel Perfect, Recess: School's Out (10 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #91)

tumblr_m632rqjTL71rqfhi2o1_500.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Did you expect anything else though? I enjoyed it, but it’s a top 100 list out of hundreds of good options…

it only got ONE vote out of 41 lists. It could have easily not been voted for at all, which is pretty crazy for a Disney animated movie from the recent past. I also wonder if Lightyear got any votes...

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

it only got ONE vote out of 41 lists. It could have easily not been voted for at all, which is pretty crazy for a Disney animated movie from the recent past. I also wonder if Lightyear got any votes...

I was the one who voted Strange World. I had to complete my list and started to think what movies I had actually watched. Now I hate myself for including Strange World but forgetting Enchanted

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

16 hours ago, Eric George said:

#416 -  Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, 

Someone really must have been stretching to get to 100 to include this lmao

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Big Hero 6

565 points, 15 lists

"On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your pain?"

PaulShipper_BH6_Poster_Final_PP_2000.jpg

Box Office: 657.8M

Rotten Tomatoes: 90%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 1 Academy Award, 1 Annie Award and 6 nominations, 1 BAFTA Award nomination, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 1 Kids Choice Award

Its Legacy: The first Disney animated film based on Marvel Comics. Made said comic a household name. Became the highest-grossing Disney animated film in China and the second-biggest Disney animated film in Japan. Earned two television shows. Adapted into a manga and comic book series. Appeared in Disney Infinity. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts. The fourth-best selling home video release of 2015. New software technology was created at Disney to bring the film to life. Still one of Disney's highest-grossing animated films ever. Gave Damon Wayans Jr. a paycheck.

Commentary: After Disney bought Marvel Comics, an animated film based off one of their properties was inevitable and exciting. The limitless medium of animation was a perfect place to bring superheroes and comic book artistry to life. But it was certainly a shock to many that Disney wouldn’t make an animated Spider-Man or Iron Man or Captain America movie. Rather, they took a comic that very few even heard of. But thankfully, Disney succeeded in giving us a thrilling and inventive superhero feature that’s fun for all ages.

The fun culture-fusing world of San Fransokyo, the setting of our film, allowed for some creative production design and visuals and a fun location that many wished were real. And in this city, we have a sweet, heartfelt story about a boy dealing with the grief of losing his brother and a fun superhero caper that reminds kids that STEM is pretty fucking awesome. And of course, there’s Baymax, the lovable, goofy robot character that totally stole the show. Despite only having two dots and a line for a face, Baymax is a character full of fun personality, great comedy, and a strong dynamic with our protagonist Hiro. He’s quickly become a fan favorite among Disney and Marvel fans, and I think we all want a huggable robot like him in our lives.

Big Hero 6 became a huge hit back in 2014 and became yet another hugely successful Marvel franchise in a never-ending long line of hugely successful Marvel franchises. Several TV shows, comic book series, appearances in Kingdom Hearts, a rumored sequel. And it’s still impressive to think that a decade ago, nobody even knew what a Big Hero 6 was. But it shows what a great movie can do. Take something that is so obscure and forgotten and uncommercial, and create something that makes a huge impression on millions. And trust me, when it comes to Disney taking obscure Marvel properties and making them blockbuster franchises, Big Hero 6 is far from the last of this story. I’m going to bring up stories like these a lot on this countdown. I can tell you that for free.

• Like 9
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3

Finding Dory

568 points, 17 lists

"Sigourney Weaver is going to help us!"

new-finding-dory-posters_dm6x.1080.jpg

Box Office: 1.029B

Rotten Tomatoes: 94%

Metacritic: 77

Awards: 3 Annie Award nominations, 1 BAFTA Award nomination, 1 Critics Choice Award nomination, 1 Empire Award, 3 Kids Choice Awards and 1 nomination

Its Legacy: Became the fourth-biggest animated film of all time. Earned the biggest opening weekend for an animated movie across multiple regions. Was the highest-grossing animated film in North America. Highest-grossing Disney animated film in Australia. Second-best selling home video title of 2016. Earned tons of environmental concerns. Saved Andrew Stanton's reputation. Gave Sigourney Weaver a paycheck.

Commentary: When Finding Nemo blew up in 2003, it was almost destiny for a sequel to come. And for a brief while, it was going to be the usual direct-to-video schlock that we all hate. Yet thanks to a lot of circumstances, the fabled Nemo sequel was given the respect and care that it deserved. The original director Andrew Stanton was on board, as was the original cast, and what we got was a film that was well-regarded as a charming, hilarious, and gorgeously-animated adventure that was well worth the wait.

Coming out 13 years later off a film that was already praised for its cutting-edge animation, Finding Dory is an absolute marvel to look at. The characters look just as great as they did before, but the backgrounds are incredible, the underwater landscapes are astonishing, and the colors are bright and poppy and beautiful. To say nothing of all the fun new characters that Dory meets in her adventure, with the octopus character Hank in particular being a great delight, with tons of inventive, expressive downright innovative character animation surrounding him.

It’s also a film that reminds of just how wonderful of a character Dory is. I know that these days Ellen DeGeneres is a controversial topic, and I’m not going to pretend it’s hard to be favorable towards her with her supposed workplace misconduct. But Dory has always been a character that resonated with me. She’s absolutely hilarious both in Finding Nemo and in here, but there’s also a great soulful performance and a strong character backbone behind her. This is a character who deals with an awful problem she can’t control and wants to have connection with others, but simply can’t due to her disability. And for an autistic weirdo who has troubles speaking and empathizing with others, I can’t help but admire her determination to keep swimming and enjoy life her own way. This isn’t a goofy comic relief who makes stupid jokes, but a genuinely well-defined, fleshed-out character that feels real. It’s really no wonder she could carry her own movie like this.

And through Dory, we have a very strong and sweet story about disability. A film that doesn’t sugarcoat how hard it is to fit in with a world that treats those who are different with disdain. How people do not accommodate for the disabled like they should and how hard it is to make people who deserve better be seen and heard. But, through this fun adventure involving other characters dealing with their own disabilities and insecurities, we got a great family feature that captures a lot of the same wacky charms and heartfelt sincerity of its predecessor, while giving us a unique spin to this beloved world and characters.

Finding Dory became one of the highest-grossing animated films of all time, breaking numerous box office records, and has become one of Pixar’s most loved sequels. And while it likely won’t endure the same way as its iconic predecessor (don’t worry, it made the list), it’s still a fun, nostalgic trip down memory lane and a great story with a strong message for today’s kids.

• Like 8
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 3

The Banshees of Inisherin

573 points, 11 lists

"I do worry sometimes I might just be entertaining myself while staving off the inevitable."

MV5BM2NlZDI0ZDktNTg5OS00ZjQ1LWI4MDEtN2I0

Box Office: 52.4M

Rotten Tomatoes: 96%

Metacritic: 87

Awards: 9 Academy Award nominations, 4 BAFTA Awards and 6 nominations, 9 Critics Choice Award nominations, 3 Golden Globe Awards and 5 nominations, 4 National Board of Review Awards

Its Legacy: Earned an Osella Award and the Volpi Cup at the Venice Film Festival. Cited as one of Martin McDonagh's greatest movies. Praised by John Waters. Considered one of the best films of the 2020s. #40 on Indiewire's Top 87 Comedies of the 21st Century. The pub used in the movie has become a popular tourist destination. Gave Kerry Condon a paycheck.

Commentary: 

You ever get nervous about the idea that one day, out of the blue, your bestie will end up hating you? Well, Martin McDonagh personified that anxiety in a movie that offers too many thick, hard to recognize Irish accents to count.

This incredible ensemble focuses on four figures who live in a remote, isolated Irish island. Colin Farrell’s Padraic loses his best friend for petty reasons, and just wants connection at a time when the future is uncertain. Brendan Gleeson’s Colm isolates himself from the world due to his own anxieties and fears, in turn harming himself and everybody else on the island in the process. Barry Keoghan’s Dominic is the supposed village idiot, scorned by even his own father, who just wants the love of his life to notice him and take care of him. And Kerry Condon’s Siobhan is frustrated with all the chaos around her and just wants to live a life away from the island, where the rest of civilization is.

It’s a film about loneliness, about isolation, about insecurity, about fear. Fear of a world without the people you love, fear of a world that is always uncertain, fear of nobody remembering you, a fear you will be stuck in a place forever, and a fear of never finding love. This is all fascinating to unfold in a screenplay that is full of tension, terror, and hilarious black humor without one ever overshadowing the other. Add on a career-best for Colin Farrell and stunning isle vistas, and you have a phenomenal feature that many cite as Martin McDonagh’s absolute best. Nobody knows what his next project is, but I have faith he can give us something that can get pretty darn close to the hilarity and beautiful tragedy of this tale.

• Like 10
  • Heart 1

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

considering the actual quality of strange world I'm surprised it even got the one vote

#410 - Muppets Most Wanted (10 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #63)

muppets-kermit.gif

#409 - Chicken Little (10 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #45)

fac310fb90bbde750d9f2e6ad1af44b1.gif

#408 - The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue, Freaky Friday, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire (11 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #90)

629e4a8b192bcd854493450ba1e0f5bd.gif

#407 - The Call of the Wild, Herbie Fully Loaded, Jungle Cruise, Reign of Fire, Spy Kids 3D (12 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #89)

27110f22e0446e446ac9debab757ab1dbb248b9f

#406 - G.I. Jane, The Jungle Book (1994), Real Steel (13 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #88)

188691e18a1da5f8d33f2f52ce906fdc.gif

#405 - The Shaggy Dog, The Thirteenth Warrior (14 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #87)

e5a40769cd70375ce1270fe16b1cd18f48a59333

#404 - Cinderella III: A Twist in Time, The Journey of Natty Gann (15 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #86)

515888d6d7fadfd3dd0fa312ca287a34.gif

#403 - The Swap (15 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #57)

eB5hlV.gif

#402 - The Bob's Burgers Movie (16 points, 2 lists, avg. ranking #93)

ta-da-linda-belcher.gif

#401 - Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (16 points, 1 list, avg. ranking #85)

confessions-of-a-teenage-drama-queen.gif

• Like 9