Eric Prime

Box Office Theory Forum’s Top 100 Disney Movies

13 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

#250 - Apocalypto (112 points, 3 lists)

1zDc.gif

#249 - The Absent-Minded Professor (114 points, 2 lists)

giphy.gif

#248 - Cars 3 (116 points, 4 lists)

1479813526-giphy-2.gif?crop=1xw:0.888888

#247 - Meet the Robinsons (117 points, 4 lists)

tumblr_n1oxqddn5Z1trmkp7o1_500.gif

#246 - Bullets Over Broadway (117 points, 3 lists)

39fc84dfe2026d3775fe7df3aaef91010539f0df

#245 - The Mighty Ducks (118 points, 3 lists)

32Z6PM.gif

#244 - The Others (121 points, 5 lists)

a7d22fd32942474e3dd3a5e0a69107ce1f02a7a5

#243 - High Fidelity (121 points, 4 lists)

high-fidelity-john-cusack.gif

#242 - Pete's Dragon (2016) (122 points, 6 lists)

flying.gif?w=940

#241 - Air Bud, The English Patient (123 points, 2 lists)

giphy.gif

So MANY good movies here.

I honestly thought The Mighty Ducks would be better remembered actually.

10 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

National Treasure

829 points, 11 lists

"I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence."

71ELe+Cg-PL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 347.5M

Rotten Tomatoes: 46%

Metacritic: 39

Awards: 2 Saturn Award nominations, 1 Teen Choice Award nomination

Roger Ebert’s Review: "Cage, one of my favorite actors, is ideal for this caper because he has the ability to seem uncontrollably enthusiastic about almost anything. Harvey Keitel, who plays FBI agent Sadusky, falls back on his ability to seem grim about almost anything. Jon Voight calls on his skill at seeming sincere at the drop of a pin. Diane Kruger has a foreign accent even though she is the National Archivist, so that our eyes can mist at the thought that in the land of opportunity, even a person with a foreign accent can become the National Archivist. "National Treasure" is so silly that the Monty Python version could use the same screenplay, line for line."

Its Legacy: One of Nicolas Cage's most successful movies ever. Earned the biggest opening weekend ever for a Disney film in November. Another huge hit for Jerry Bruckheimer. Earned a sequel and television series. A third film is in development. Gave Justin Bartha a paycheck.

Commentary: Long before Disney ended up owning Indiana Jones, the mad lad Jerry Bruckheimer and his buddy Jon Turteltaub created their own globe-trotting hero in Benjamin Franklin Gates in a kickass treasure hunt movie all about finding buried treasure hidden by America’s Founding Fathers.

And yeah, that premise is a little stupid. However, what results is a very derivative, but very exciting adventure full of espionage, intrigue, backstabbing, and a fun look at alternate history, with one of the greatest lines in movie history. This is not only thanks to some fun setpieces typical of Bruckheimer adventures, but also the mastery of Nicolas Cage. A real-life nutcase, he’s the anchor to making this silly setup work. He does great in the action and physicality, but also in being a fun, madcap adventurer with an exciting, twisted side to him. It results in a great family adventure for all ages with a strong cult following among Disney and Cage fandom alike.

Now can we please get that National Treasure 3 movie announced? You keep teasing it, the people have been waiting. It’s time for another movie. Just do it.

We peaked

10 hours ago, cannastop said:

wait really?

Right? It should've been way higher!

4 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I honestly thought The Mighty Ducks would be better remembered actually.

I was born in 1996.  For years I never heard of the Mighty Ducks outside of the sci-fi animated film (which I never watched and heard was bad).  I never even knew it was a film until Nostalgia Critic mentioned it.  It was a big deal when it came out, but it is being forgotten, and that does not help it in a popularity contest like this.

• Sad 1

#240 - National Treasure: Book of Secrets (124 points, 6 lists)

84704889a912ee90d9e6284b82d99784.gif

#239 - Frozen II (124 points, 4 lists)

d4093720caaac302323fd742e7153c0f51f9706b

#238 - The Proposal (124 points, 2 lists)

88252aff4522402df58bf15d359fc566.gif

#237 - Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension (125 points, 3 lists)

j6U.gif

#236 - Rabbit-Proof Fence (126 points, 3 lists)

kj7ow_.gif

#235 - Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (128 points, 4 lists)

group-photo-chip.gif

#234 - Die Hard with a Vengeance (129 points, 3 lists)

tumblr_puqxry1FL21s9xw57o1_540.gif

#233 - Ad Astra (129 points, 3 lists)

bright-brad-pitt.gif

#232 - In the Bedroom (129 points, 2 lists)

-PeNk8.gif

#231 - Maleficent (131 points, 4 lists)

6ccb1d48f9836b78_Maleficent.gif

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Good Will Hunting

849 points, 14 lists

"You're not perfect, sport, and let me save you the suspense: this girl you've met, she's not perfect either. But the question is whether or not you're perfect for each other."

71JWyELjo8L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Box Office: 225.9M

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

Metacritic: 70

Awards: 2 Academy Awards and 7 nominations, 2 Critics Choice Awards and 1 nomination, 1 Golden Globe Award and 3 nominations, 4 MTV Movie Award nominations

Roger Ebert's Review: "The outcome of the movie is fairly predictable; so is the whole story, really. It's the individual moments, not the payoff, that make it so effective."

Its Legacy: Gus van Sant's highest-grossing film. Robin Williams' one and only Oscar win. Made Matt Damon and Ben Affleck household names. #4 on National Board of Review's Top 10 Films of 1997. #53 in Hollywood Reporter's Top 100 Films list in 2014. Gave Minnie Driver a paycheck.

Commentary: I already made a lengthy spiel about Robin Williams and toxic masculinity and the importance of being sensitive and kind in my Dead Poets Society entry...but I’m gonna do it again anyways, because I love talking about these subjects.

However, the angle I can bring out in here is how the film tackles therapy and how necessary it is to let these emotions and feelings out there. You don’t even need a therapist to do that. And it’s fascinating in that regard when looking at how therapy was portrayed over the decades in cinema. Even today, there’s negative stigma against therapy. And prior to Good Will Hunting, mental health issues were mostly portrayed as a joke, like in Woody Allen films, or as an evil threat, like in every slasher known to man. 

But it’s here we see Will Hunting, a brilliant yet arrogant and mentally unwell man who loves to fight, learning to let his guard down. He learns what it means to be a more social person, learns there’s more to his own therapist who he loves to prod and attack at first. That his issues go deep, into trauma that needs to be checked, needs to be confronted, needs to be conquered. And it’s all perfectly illustrated through the sensitive direction of Gus Van Sant, the layered screenplay of Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, and the soulful performances of Damon and the always amazing Robin Williams, who won the Academy Award for this incredible feature.

It’s a film that makes you realize your own potential if you just let your guard down. If you just be candid, be honest, and learn to speak with others. A film telling you to make your own destiny and fight for who you are, without being gooey or saccharine. It's raw and honest, but hopeful and looking towards the future. It’s utterly powerful. And to this day, it’s Gus Van Sant’s gold standard, and the best depiction of therapy in the movies. It’s a gem of a movie that just gets better and better with age.

• Like 9

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

858 points, 17 lists

"I'm awfully sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. But you don't know what I've been through. And all because I was afraid."

il_fullxfull.1541362929_cd8l.jpg

Box Office: 418M

Rotten Tomatoes: 97%

Metacritic: 96

Awards: 1 Academy Award and 1 nomination, 

Roger Ebert's Review: "Walt Disney often receives credit for everything done in his name (even sometimes after his death). He was a leader of a large group of dedicated and hard-working collaborators, who are thanked in the first frames of “Snow White,” before the full credits. But he was the visionary who guided them, and it is a little stunning to realize that modern Disney animated features like “Beauty and the Beast,” “The Lion King” and “Aladdin,” as well as the rare hits made outside the Disney shop, like Dreamworks' “Shrek” and Pixar's “Toy Story,” still use to this day the basic approach that you can see full-blown in “Snow White.”"

Its Legacy: The one that started it all. Influences almost every Disney animated movie, if not every animated movie ever made. The highest-grossing animated film when adjusted for inflation. Earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1987. The first film to be entirely scanned to digital files, manipulated, and recorded back to film in 1993. "Some Day My Prince Will Come" became a jazz standard. Called the greatest film of all time by Sergei Eisenstein. Inspired the production of The Wizard of Oz. #49 on AFI's Top 100 Movies and #34 on the 2007 edition. Found all throughout the Disney parks. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts. A remake is set for release in 2025. Gave Lucille La Verne a paycheck.

Commentary: Yeah, you knew this was coming. In all honesty, it would be almost sacrilegious not to have this movie in particular in the top 100 in some capacity, as this is the most important Disney film ever. Better yet, one of the most important movies ever. A lot of the claims made on this are somewhat inaccurate. It wasn’t the first animated movie ever made. From a certain perspective, it’s not even the first movie Disney released. It's not even the first time Snow White was put into animation. Thank you Betty Boop. But in our hearts, this is the one movie where everything started. And what it started was just, simply put, incredible.

87 years later, it’s still an amazing, beloved feature. One that people still watch and adore, one that influences pretty much every animated movie ever made in some way, and one that is still lucrative. Both in the merchandise, and with an upcoming remake set for release next year. And in many ways, it’s incredible that those Disney artists were able to pull this off on their first try. Sure, these days it’s pretty simple and basic, but these artists and storytellers, who at that point only did 5 minute shorts, managed to craft something amazing with little knowledge of feature-length storytelling. The animation is gorgeous, there’s so many fun and inventive setpieces, and the story offers tons of solid emotional pathos and charm that it’s impossible not to be sucked into something so simplistic.

Of course the one thing everybody remembers are all the characters, who really do help make this a wonderful package. The kind-hearted and lovable Snow White herself, who represents the beauty and kindness we should all hope to achieve. The wicked Evil Queen, who revels in her villainy and boasts two iconic, incredible designs that gave some kids nightmares. And of course, those wonderful seven dwarfs who steal the show. Giving us incredible laughs, wonderful sequences, and the most empathetic moments in the film.

It laid the groundwork for all of our favorite Disney films. Whether they be animated, live-action, for kids, for adults, whatever. And it’s easy to see why. Within all the bright colors and silly scenarios is a film that touches the heart and inspires us all, like any great fairy tale should. And it was just one of many more in the decades to come.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

The Jungle Book

863 points, 19 lists

"Ha ha! Man, that's what I call a swinging party."

Jungle-Book-1528LB-scaled.jpg

Box Office: 378M

Rotten Tomatoes: 88%

Metacritic: 65

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 

Roger Ebert's Review: N/A

Its Legacy: The final animated film Walt Disney produced. The highest-grossing animated film of all time on its initial run. The highest-attended movie in German box office history. Recieved two animated series spin-offs. Earned a sequel record, an animated sequel, and three live-action remakes, the last of which earned almost a billion dollars. Appeared in a Banksy painting. Gave Louis Prima a paycheck.

Commentary: This is a bittersweet film to talk about, as The Jungle Book was the last animated film produced in Walt Disney’s lifetime. He died a year before the film was released, but his influence was still very much felt. Right on down to him telling the story team and songwriters Richard and Robert Sherman to not read the actual Rudyard Kipling book. Insisting on a light, bouncy, upbeat musical adventure full of wacky comedy and catchy songs. Sure enough, it worked like gangbusters, becoming one of the most successful Disney films of all time and one of the biggest Disney franchises ever. Several TV shows, several sequels, even several live-action remakes. One of which almost made a billion dollars. And yeah, it’s kind of obvious once you see it.

It’s a film that’s very vibrant and wacky, with hilarious comedy and fun sequences. The cast is one of Disney’s absolute best, full of iconic Disney voiceover actors and 60s character actors and performers. Phil Harris, Sebastian Cabot, Louis Prima, George Sanders, Sterling Holloway, and even baby Clint Howard. All of them deliver hilarious performances and great, witty banter in this exciting jungle story, and the Disney animators injected these great voices with tons of personality. The goofy, if bratty Mowgli, the wise and stern Bagheera, the laid-back Baloo, the smooth as hell King Louie, the nefarious Kaa, the gaylicious Shere Khan, and those vultures that are the Beatles but also not the Beatles are all just a blast and bring so much personality and charm to the story that you don’t really care that it’s inaccurate to Kipling’s original novel. It’s snappy, hilarious entertainment whether you’re young and old.

To say nothing of the music. This is not the last time I’ll gush about the Shermans, but their lyrics were unmatched. Instantly memorable, incredibly witty, and paired with catchy melodies that will never leave your head. And I’m not even getting into the one song they didn’t write, “The Bare Necessities”, which has taken a life of its own and still serves well as a good reminder that it’s important to enjoy life and all it has to offer. It only accentuates the fun, laid-back and poppy vibes of the picture and helped make this serve as an instant classic in the Disney pantheon.

This was probably my favorite Disney movie as a kid and I still love it even after all these years. It’s such a great blend of jokes, adventure, and wit that’s still entertaining and memorable decades later, with some of the best music in Disney history. And while the other revamps and renditions from Disney are fun in their own ways, you just can’t beat the classics.

• Like 7
  • Heart 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Human said:

There are around ten animated films (8 last time I checked) from before Snow White.  3 of which survived.  The common factor between them all is Germany.  

what kind of animation did they use?

15 hours ago, Eric Creed said:

858 points, 17 lists

"I'm awfully sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. But you don't know what I've been through. And all because I was afraid."

Roger Ebert's Review: "Walt Disney often receives credit for everything done in his name (even sometimes after his death). He was a leader of a large group of dedicated and hard-working collaborators, who are thanked in the first frames of “Snow White,” before the full credits. But he was the visionary who guided them, and it is a little stunning to realize that modern Disney animated features like “Beauty and the Beast,” “The Lion King” and “Aladdin,” as well as the rare hits made outside the Disney shop, like Dreamworks' “Shrek” and Pixar's “Toy Story,” still use to this day the basic approach that you can see full-blown in “Snow White.”"

Its Legacy: The one that started it all. Influences almost every Disney animated movie, if not every animated movie ever made. The highest-grossing animated film when adjusted for inflation. Earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1987. The first film to be entirely scanned to digital files, manipulated, and recorded back to film in 1993. "Some Day My Prince Will Come" became a jazz standard. Called the greatest film of all time by Sergei Eisenstein. Inspired the production of The Wizard of Oz. #49 on AFI's Top 100 Movies and #34 on the 2007 edition. Found all throughout the Disney parks. Appeared in Kingdom Hearts. A remake is set for release in 2025. Gave Lucille La Verne a paycheck.

Commentary: Yeah, you knew this was coming. In all honesty, it would be almost sacrilegious not to have this movie in particular in the top 100 in some capacity, as this is the most important Disney film ever. Better yet, one of the most important movies ever. A lot of the claims made on this are somewhat inaccurate. It wasn’t the first animated movie ever made. From a certain perspective, it’s not even the first movie Disney released. It's not even the first time Snow White was put into animation. Thank you Betty Boop. But in our hearts, this is the one movie where everything started. And what it started was just, simply put, incredible.

87 years later, it’s still an amazing, beloved feature. One that people still watch and adore, one that influences pretty much every animated movie ever made in some way, and one that is still lucrative. Both in the merchandise, and with an upcoming remake set for release next year. And in many ways, it’s incredible that those Disney artists were able to pull this off on their first try. Sure, these days it’s pretty simple and basic, but these artists and storytellers, who at that point only did 5 minute shorts, managed to craft something amazing with little knowledge of feature-length storytelling. The animation is gorgeous, there’s so many fun and inventive setpieces, and the story offers tons of solid emotional pathos and charm that it’s impossible not to be sucked into something so simplistic.

Of course the one thing everybody remembers are all the characters, who really do help make this a wonderful package. The kind-hearted and lovable Snow White herself, who represents the beauty and kindness we should all hope to achieve. The wicked Evil Queen, who revels in her villainy and boasts two iconic, incredible designs that gave some kids nightmares. And of course, those wonderful seven dwarfs who steal the show. Giving us incredible laughs, wonderful sequences, and the most empathetic moments in the film.

It laid the groundwork for all of our favorite Disney films. Whether they be animated, live-action, for kids, for adults, whatever. And it’s easy to see why. Within all the bright colors and silly scenarios is a film that touches the heart and inspires us all, like any great fairy tale should. And it was just one of many more in the decades to come.

About 10 minutes of bad plot, with the rest of the time padded by incredibly long and dull songs: 10 minutes about cooking and cleaning, 10 minutes about taking a bath...

It might be important for the development of animations and Disney, but it's also one of the most boring films I have ever seen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tower said:

About 10 minutes of bad plot, with the rest of the time padded by incredibly long and dull songs: 10 minutes about cooking and cleaning, 10 minutes about taking a bath...

It might be important for the development of animations and Disney, but it's also one of the most boring films I have ever seen.

I have to agree.

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

what kind of animation did they use?

The Adventures of Prince Achmed uses silhouette animation of figures.  Gorgeous movie.

The Tale of the Fox is puppetery.  It is a wacky comedy.

Since I can find no English sub I have not seen Seven Ravens.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:47 PM, Jake Gittes said:

bwahahaha go off king.

I can’t watch that movie anymore. That was like my suicidal movie in high school. But I was like it’s time to commit suicide this week, I’d watched that and like worked through my feelings.

On 2/8/2024 at 8:13 PM, Eric Creed said:

858 points, 17 lists

57? lmfao. This list is a list. That’s for sure. 

On 2/8/2024 at 1:28 PM, Human said:

I was born in 1996.  For years I never heard of the Mighty Ducks outside of the sci-fi animated film (which I never watched and heard was bad).  I never even knew it was a film until Nostalgia Critic mentioned it.  It was a big deal when it came out, but it is being forgotten, and that does not help it in a popularity contest like this.

Why am I so old

#230 - Trainspotting (134 points, 3 lists)

7mXb.gif

#229 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (136 points, 7 lists)

avengers-ultron-opening-sequence-gif-tum

#228 - Sin City (136 points, 5 lists)

9f72f9bcc2d8e7cf6f85a51c70348746.gif

#227 - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (138 points, 2 lists)

9LVD.gif

#226 - Spy Kids (139 points, 8 lists)

0f281fa4d7a0bdf5_tumblr_njbu8lwmMI1qka4t

#225 - Fantasia 2000 (140 points, 6 lists)

dd00c7cfe4b7fb0cdc48fcb02addb294.gif

#224 - Free Guy (142 points, 4 lists)

9d05420f3681073bdfc3d16ceae47bd7d34c7a35

#223 - Ralph Breaks the Internet (147 points, 5 lists)

princesses-ralph-breaks-the-internet.gif

#222 - Three Colours: Blue (148 points, 3 lists)

giphy.gif

#221 - Bruce Almighty, Dangal (150 points, 3 lists)

VTA.gif

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Eric Creed said:

#230 - Trainspotting (134 points, 3 lists)

7mXb.gif

#229 - Avengers: Age of Ultron (136 points, 7 lists)

avengers-ultron-opening-sequence-gif-tum

#228 - Sin City (136 points, 5 lists)

9f72f9bcc2d8e7cf6f85a51c70348746.gif

#227 - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (138 points, 2 lists)

9LVD.gif

#226 - Spy Kids (139 points, 8 lists)

0f281fa4d7a0bdf5_tumblr_njbu8lwmMI1qka4t

#225 - Fantasia 2000 (140 points, 6 lists)

dd00c7cfe4b7fb0cdc48fcb02addb294.gif

#224 - Free Guy (142 points, 4 lists)

9d05420f3681073bdfc3d16ceae47bd7d34c7a35

#223 - Ralph Breaks the Internet (147 points, 5 lists)

princesses-ralph-breaks-the-internet.gif

#222 - Three Colours: Blue (148 points, 3 lists)

giphy.gif

#221 - Bruce Almighty, Dangal (150 points, 3 lists)

VTA.gif

Free Guy in front of Avengers: Age of Ultron is funny AF, but Bruce Almighty in only 3 lists????? COME ON, that's literally the funniest Jim Carrey has ever been!

What the fuck people, what the fuck.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

883 points, 20 lists

" Life's not a spectator sport. If watchin' is all you're gonna do, then you're gonna watch your life go by without ya."

s-l1600.jpg

Box Office: 325.3M

Rotten Tomatoes: 71%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 1 Academy Award nomination, 13 Annie Award nominations, 1 Golden Globe Award nomination, 1 Golden Raspberry Award nomination

Roger Ebert's Review: "When I first heard about the project, I wondered if “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” could possibly work as a Disney animated feature--if the fearsome features and fate of its sad hero Quasimodo would hold audiences at arm's length. When I saw the preview trailers for the film, with its songs about “Quasi,” I feared Disney had gone too far in an attempt to popularize and neutralize the material. I was wrong to doubt, and wrong to fear: “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is the best Disney animated feature since “Beauty and the Beast”--a whirling, uplifting, thrilling story with a heart-touching message that emerges from the comedy and song."

Its Legacy: One of the darkest, most controversial, most polarizing films in Disney history. Has also earned praise for its mature subject matter and more serious content. Caused boycotts by the Southern Baptist Convention. The fifth-highest grossing film of 1996. Earned a stage adaptation in 1999. Earned a direct-to-video sequel in 2002. A live-action remake is in the works. Gave Tom Hulce a paycheck.

Commentary: Within the Disney Renaissance, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a very interesting beast. If anything, it’s incredible that this is even a Disney film in the first place. The original text by Victor Hugo is a dark, depressing tale with tragedy and highly sexual content. And even with some sanding off of the darker, harsher elements, this still features a lustful, sinful judge who wishes genocide of the Romani people, a highly sexualized heroine in Esmerelda, and a focus on religious faith that has never been seen in a Disney animated film before or since then. I’m still amazed a film that features infanticide and lust and damnation was even given a G rating.

As you can imagine, parent groups were in a tizzy over this overt content and Victor Hugo fans hated the Disneyfication of the source material. Yet this film did appeal to a lot of people. Not only was it a box office success, but it was precisely because of the mature subject matter and adult themes that it resonated with so many. Whether it be kids or adults.

This is a film that tackles important subjects and life lessons in a way that was direct and to the point. There were no allegories at play or keeping things basic. It’s a film that tells us that there are people who abuse their power. There are people who use religion as a way to manipulate others, attack the “undesirables”, and are too corrupt to look past their own flaws and issues. If anything, they believe their evil deeds are the right thing and that this is what their god or higher power wants out of life. Racism is out there and it’s not going to be kind.

Yet at the same time, there’s also a sense of hopeful optimism in the film that makes it endearing and all the more powerful. There are people who use their beliefs for good, and perhaps there is some loving, forgiving force out there who allows such kindness to shine through in these dark and evil moments. And while a higher being can not fix everything, there is value that can be taught by them and they can come in the most unexpected of places. Who is the monster and who is the man indeed.

With Disney being so brand-conscious and the general fear Hollywood has every year over not wanting to piss off certain groups, it’s unlikely we’ll see something as audacious, as groundbreaking, nor as adult as The Hunchback of Notre Dame ever again. But film is forever, and what the film has provided and will always provide will be around. And frankly, as the decades go on and the world plunges into chaos, movies like these have offered more value today than they did when they first came out.

• Like 8