filmlover

The 96th Academy Awards Live Feed Thread | Oppy wins it all, but Ryan Gosling is still kenough

18 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I feel bad for Lily Gladstone because she deserved the award, in my opinion.

I feel bad for Emma Stone because a lot of people are going to find Poor Things extremely off-putting and, because of said performance, perhaps a bit pedophilic.

Honestly Gladstone was good, but she went missing half the movie and wasn't given to do much after that. In a sense it's like Angela Bassett - she was superb but wasn't given enough time to show more. 

Do audiences outside of US find Poor Things off-putting because somehow connects to pedophilia? Is this cultural?

Spider-Man bros are not having so good time at awards, SM2 having 7 nominations and 0 wins at the VGA and now Spider-Verse losing to The Boy and The Heron. All find reactions on media hilarious.

Above all I'm happy Oppi won most. Truly best movie last year.

• Like 1

Tbh I thought Da'Vine had more of a case for being a lead, felt like she had a much bigger proportion of screentime in Holdovers and also her own character arc largely independent of the actions of the Giamatti character and teen. Think if they swapped categories Gladstone could've won supporting, and maybe Da'Vine could still have pulled out the win in lead actress 

13 minutes ago, NGGKroze said:

Do audiences outside of US find Poor Things off-putting because somehow connects to pedophilia? Is this cultural?

Probably not. I mean, Roman Polanski fled to France after being accused of drugging and having sex with a 13-year-old girl, and in the years since, other women have spoken out against him, and yet he still makes movies that premiere overseas.

6 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Probably not. I mean, Roman Polanski fled to France after being accused of drugging and having sex with a 13-year-old girl, and in the years since, other women have spoken out against him, and yet he still makes movies that premiere overseas.

Is this post somehow implying that Europe is ok with or doesn't care about pedophilia or am I tripping?

Have we already sunk this low?

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Biggest problem with the 2010-2011 awards season was Chris Nolan getting left off the Best Director list after what he did with Inception. Straight up outrageous. At that point it felt like they were going out of their way to say "fuck you" to him for no good reason, especially after the snubs on The Dark Knight and The Prestige. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nolan's two nominations for Best Director happened with World War II era dramas. Spielberg could at least get nominated for Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.  The Directors Branch is so highbrow now.

36 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Tbh I thought Da'Vine had more of a case for being a lead, felt like she had a much bigger proportion of screentime in Holdovers and also her own character arc largely independent of the actions of the Giamatti character and teen. Think if they swapped categories Gladstone could've won supporting, and maybe Da'Vine could still have pulled out the win in lead actress 

Da'Vine wouldn't have stood a chance against Emma IMO. Lily had the least screentime (in sheer minutes and percentage) of all of this year's Best Actress nominees and Da'Vine had even less screentime than that in The Holdovers.  I don't think screentime is the only measure of lead/supporting and that a supporting character can have their own storyline. Originally the supporting categories were all about star power, irrespective of screentime.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nolan's two nominations for Best Director happened with World War II era dramas. Spielberg could at least get nominated for Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.  The Directors Branch is so highbrow now.

That's true, but I think they will give James Cameron the Best Director trophy on his final Avatar movie. He will have spent around 30 years on the Avatar projects, so I think they will want to reward him for having such a big impact with those movies.

The other one I could see is Greta Gerwig with her final Barbie movie. Let's say she does a very strong trilogy and everyone knows she is finished with Barbie after 3 movies. I could see them jumping on board to give her a trophy for that. 

18 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Certainly good friends. 

People forget that Intersteller was originally a Speilberg project ..for years it was supposed to be his next film...before he passed it on to Nolan.

As fo the Gosling/Blunt joint appreance...somehow I think that Universal called ina few favors to have that happen.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Is this post somehow implying that Europe is ok with or doesn't care about pedophilia or am I tripping?

Have we already sunk this low?

Not so much Europe as a whole, but a small but vocal group of intellectuals....and a number of Big Names in US Showbiz also, imho, disgraced themsevles by supporting Polanski.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NGGKroze said:

Honestly Gladstone was good, but she went missing half the movie and wasn't given to do much after that. In a sense it's like Angela Bassett - she was superb but wasn't given enough time to show more. 

Spider-Man bros are not having so good time at awards, SM2 having 7 nominations and 0 wins at the VGA and now Spider-Verse losing to The Boy and The Heron. All find reactions on media hilarious.

Above all I'm happy Oppi won most. Truly best movie last year.

I thnk the Gladstone, though excellent...had really a supporting role in terms of the story, and Poor Things was built around Stone's charecter was decisive. I think  they threw away a almost certain win for Gladstone by not puhing her for the supporting actress category.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That's true, but I think they will give James Cameron the Best Director trophy on his final Avatar movie. He will have spent around 30 years on the Avatar projects, so I think they will want to reward him for having such a big impact with those movies.

The other one I could see is Greta Gerwig with her final Barbie movie. Let's say she does a very strong trilogy and everyone knows she is finished with Barbie after 3 movies. I could see them jumping on board to give her a trophy for that. 

Barbie trilogy? Did I miss something?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Barbie trilogy? Did I miss something?

Funny, nobody is taling abou tthat yet. Oh, WB wants it, but they know Gerwig wants to do other things first, and wihtout Gerwig you have no Babbie movie.

Problem is nerds are so damn use to thinkin gin terms of frachises and trilogies. They are not a good idea  for every hit film.

29 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The Anonymous Ballots and pundits said there was resistance to Barbie—some voters just couldn't get past it being based on a doll. Nolan didn't win for a Batman movie, so Gerwig probably has to do something more Oscar-y too, and more overtly about middle aged characters.

Al Pacino explaining that Best Picture presentation:

Taylor and Travis went to Madonna's  (no cameras) after party.

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Al Pacino explaining that Best Picture presentation:

It was poorly done, not just by the Producers but by Pacino as well. The whole "my eyes see Oppenheimer" with a question mark tone in his voice. Very weird. Nobody was sure if he was joking or what. Compare this with older days. Harrison Ford in 1994: "The Oscar for Best Picture of 1993 goes to...Schindler's List" and he says it with full authority. 

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wonder what a bunch of 8 year olds would know Cillian Murphy from. The Wind That Shakes the Barley maybe?

Thye would know him as Jonathan Crane, aka The Scarecrow from the Dark Knight movies, if anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It was poorly done, not just by the Producers but by Pacino as well. The whole "my eyes see Oppenheimer" with a question mark tone in his voice. Very weird. Nobody was sure if he was joking or what. Compare this with older days. Harrison Ford in 1994: "The Oscar for Best Picture of 1993 goes to...Schindler's List" and he says it with full authority. 

I don't know if reading the nominees again or not had anything to do with Pacino's odd presentation, it was very "Liz Taylor at the Golden Globes".

Apparently Pacino was supposed to present with Michelle Pfeiffer as a Scarface reunion (she was announced), presumably she would have done the heavy lifting.

• Haha 1