Eric Deetz

Longlegs | Neon | Nicolas Cage horror movie | July 12, 2024

On 7/11/2024 at 5:45 PM, Krissykins said:

Hot take, I think Watcher is a better film than It Follows (which I never really liked). 

Hotter take... The Guest is much better than both. While she's great in both, neither is all that great. Longlegs might be her best yet though.

58 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hotter take... The Guest is much better than both. While she's great in both, neither is all that great. Longlegs might be her best yet though.

Longlegs is her best. I’m not actually big on The Guest either. 

On 7/12/2024 at 6:39 PM, PrinceRico said:

Not sure why it's hard for critics and audience to agree when it comes to these kind of moves

Critics see every horror movie.  No audience member does that.  This makes very different viewing experiences.

The First Omen remains the best horror film of the year for me right now, but this is a close second. I'm glad directors can make such wild swings like this. There's almost an idiosyncratic nature to the film that reminds me of classic Lynch. One actor plays deadpan as another is let loose in the most unhinged way.

• Like 1

This was excellent. It gripped me from the beginning, with directing that contributed to a thoroughly unsettling (and occasionally shocking) experience. The cinematography in particular was impressive and tremendously effective - in a way that I haven't seen in a little while.

I appreciated Maika Monroe's understated performance, while Cage proves how underrated of an actor he is. He delicately straddles the dividing line between terrifying and hilarious - uncanny in the way that the most unnerving villains can be. 

While I have my quibbles, this is my favourite horror film of the year so far.

Peace,
Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 6