filmlover

Weekday #'s (4/29-5/2)

56 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I forget where I saw the data but it didn't look like the PLF share for Challengers was that big compared to Civil War, and honestly it doesn't need it imo. I don't think its legs will be impacted as much.

Yeah the IMAX gross for the weekend was like $1M. Shouldn't be much of a concern.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I've said before, maybe in the Telegram chat, that the TikTok ban is going to be a devastating blow to modern exhibition. Let's face it, a lot of the cinematic phenomenons of the decade were largely fueled by TikTok hype, especially Minions 2, Barbie and Oppenheimer. The crossover between moviegoers today and the TikTok userbase is a lot bigger than many might think. The ban isn't going to happen for a few more months though, so exhibitors had better start thinking up some new solutions to keep the youth engaged.

The official tiktok ban won’t happen for awhile or may not happen at all because ByteDance is going to fight in courts which could take months or years.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm a bit surprised by how well The Phantom Menace seems to be doing in presales. I wouldn't sit through the film again if I was the one getting paid. Atrocious.

Majority of the sales near me are for May (the) 4th, which is expected. I'm guessing it'll drop something like 80% the following weekend since it doesn't seem like it's being sold as a one week thing.

54 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I'm a bit surprised by how well The Phantom Menace seems to be doing in presales. I wouldn't sit through the film again if I was the one getting paid. Atrocious.

The prequel trilogy has a big fanbase now, a lot of people too young to have had crushed expectations back in 1999. Movies with much less going for then than The Phantom Menace have been reclaimed. The most recent trilogy leaving a lot of unsatisfied fans maybe makes earlier movies more appealing.

I saw Challengers in IMAX and the tennis scenes looked good but IMO it's not essential to see it in a large format.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The prequel trilogy has a big fanbase now, a lot of people too young to have had crushed expectations back in 1999. Movies with much less going for then than The Phantom Menace have been reclaimed. The most recent trilogy leaving a lot of unsatisfied fans maybe makes earlier movies more appealing.

I saw Challengers in IMAX and the tennis scenes looked good but IMO it's not essential to see it in a large format.

I am one of the people too young to have crushed expectations. Movie just stinks. Third film is fun though.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

There's definitely been a reappraisal of TPM the last few years, I always thought it wasn't as bad as Attack of the Clones. Neeson keeps it watchable.

I kind of agree in the sense that TPM is a mediocre film, and there are a thousand films I would rather rewatch, whereas Attack of the Clones is amongst the worst films I have ever seen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I am one of the people too young to have crushed expectations. Movie just stinks. Third film is fun though.

Re-watched all 3 during Covid and TPM was like Ambien...it was putting me to sleep multiple times.  AOTC is just a bad movie IMO.....the detective story, the love story...woof.  ROTS is the best of the 3 by far. Watching all 3 in the same day probably makes ROTS seem like a better movie than it is but it's like the Godfather compared to the other two.