kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

51 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

AiE8zme.pngoh yeah, Verified Audience truly reflects how audiences feel about the movie

Watching a film in a movie theater in summer without AC is something I wouldn't wish on my enemies.

Posted (edited)

Oof, that’s not great. The previous trilogy got A-. I’m not totally surprised since a lot reviews were mixed-positive and some downright negative.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Thanks 1

It’s weird reception isn’t stellar but walkups have still been good and it’s currently on track to meet industry projections. At least with The Fall Guy sort of being DOA, this is the only adult-leaning blockbuster until Twisters (outside of Furiosa).

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Dawn feels more and more like a lucky moment in time. 2014 was a dire year for major blockbusters which allowed it to break out above the normal numbers for this franchise.

it also looked epic and had a human focus still. The problem with these last two is they look too similar with similar looking locations from the ads

• Like 3

When they first announced a new Planet of the Apes movie directed by the Maze Runner guy with a "lighter tone", I was expecting a massive decline from War/Rise level openings and like 40% on RT, so this honestly has all been a pleasant surprise to me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

One of the rare times audience scores have the movie pegged correctly v critical reception. Last time something like this happened was Mulan

What are you talking about 

I was supposed to see the film today but plans changed, but it seems like the main complaints were that there was little action and was very somber and long.

If they continue with the trilogy (questionable now) they’ll make a big shift with the tone. And writer. And director.

Posted (edited)

It's a completely fine opening number for this franchise, maybe even pretty damn good at this point. It's not Apes fault that it has the pressure of being the first summer blockbuster. Studios royally fucked up the distribution of blockbusters this year even pre-strike. Put Apes on President's Day weekend or MLK weekend which were dry as fuck and this looks like a great success opening.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

It's a completely fine opening number for this franchise, maybe even pretty damn good at this point. It's not Apes fault that it has the pressure of being the first summer blockbuster. Studios royally fucked up the distribution of blockbusters this year even pre-strike. Put Apes on President's Day weekend or MLK weekend which were dry as fuck and this looks like a great success opening.

Well it’s not the first summer blockbuster, it’s just the first one that doesn’t have a terrible opening relative to its budget. Choosing not to move it to early May and allowing The Fall Guy to take the early May slot definitely saved it from all the negative buzz and the doom and gloom we saw last weekend.

Edited by Speedorito

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Well it’s not the first summer blockbuster, it’s just the first one that doesn’t have a terrible opening relative to its budget. Choosing not to move it to early May and allowing The Fall Guy to take the early May slot definitely saved it from all the negative buzz and the doom and gloom we saw last weekend.

Eh! I see your point, but I really do think this is the actual start of summer. The Fall Guy being a summer blockbuster is like one of the greatest myths I've seen in my 16 years on these boards. I have been dead wrong on many things in just the past year alone, but being right that the Fall Guy was not this in disguise 160m blockbuster is one of the few things I was bang on from day one. The only reason people call it a summer blockbuster is the release date - nothing about the scale, the concept, the historical comps screamed it was anything besides a nice spring or fall diversion. Shoulda stayed in March!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Omg you could say The Fall Guy was…the fall guy (I’m so original and clever).

• Thanks 1

I dont know how to make sense out of pre-godfather grosses; was the original apes movie a big enough deal for someone to come along 40 years later and propose a 9-movie series? obviously it was, but does it make sense that it was?

7 hours ago, Eric the Ape said:

These would be good holds all around, especially compared to last week. Mother's Day helps yeah, but it's not like it'll benefit GxK very much. Hoping Apes can get to the higher end and reach 22M. Really liked the movie.

Ugh, love you. ❤️

I knew I could trust in you, King.

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I dont know how to make sense out of pre-godfather grosses; was the original apes movie a big enough deal for someone to come along 40 years later and propose a 9-movie series? obviously it was, but does it make sense that it was?

they were huge for their time, obviously in a year or two , Disney can run apes thru the ai generator automatic to make films , so they just need to press a button for a new film