kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 58.40M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES | 13.70M THE FALL GUY | 4.38M CHALLENGERS | TAROT

Great hold for Panda 4, unfortunately this is gonna be the end of the road for it.

Also pretty good hold for Civil War, expected it would lose more theaters and drop harder. Still probably doesn't have enough in the tank to get to $70 mil but clearly it's found a certain appreciative audience

15 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I really do not think Twisters will perform at all like a blockbuster 

You think it’s going to open relatively low and have a leggy run?

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Great hold for Panda 4, unfortunately this is gonna be the end of the road for it.

Also pretty good hold for Civil War, expected it would lose more theaters and drop harder. Still probably doesn't have enough in the tank to get to $70 mil but clearly it's found a certain appreciative audience

why? Because of IF? It really depends on how many theaters it loses next weekend. I do think by Garfield it’ll start suffering and by Inside Out 2 it’ll be done, but to say it’s run is over is a little premature 

https://deadline.com/2024/05/box-office-kingdom-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-1235911118/

Overall weekend stands at $93.8M, which is 27% ahead of last weekend, but 7% off from the same frame in May a year ago when the second weekend of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 delivered $62M.

1.) Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (20th/Dis) 4,075 theaters, Fri $22.2M, 3-day $52M-$55M/Wk 1

2.) Fall Guy (Uni) 4,008 (+6) theaters, Fri $3.55M (-66%), 3-day $14.4M (-48%), Total $50.3M/Wk 2

3.) Challengers (AMZ MGM) 2,609 theaters, Fri $1.6M (-36%), 3-day $5M (-34%)/Total $38.3M/ Wk 3

4.) Tarot (Sony) 3,104 theaters,Fri $1M (-60%) 3-day $3.2M (-51%)/Total $11.7M Wk 2

5.) Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (Leg/WB) 2,531 (-353) theaters, Fri $600K (-43%) 3-day $2.6M (-43%)/Total $191.8M/ Wk 7

6.) Unsung Hero (LG) 2,272 (-560) theaters,Fri $530K (-39%), 3-day $2.2M (-26%), Total $16.7M/Wk 3

7.) Kung Fu Panda 4 (Uni) 2,111 (-269) theaters, Fri $400K (-22%), 3-day $2M (-20%), Total $191.1M/Wk 10

8.) Civil War (A24) 2,204 (-485) theaters, Fri $511K (-47%) 3-day $1.9M (-46%), Total $65.3M/Wk 5

9.) Star Wars The Phantom Menace (20th) 2,700 theaters, Fri $436K, 3-day $1.6M (-82%), Total lifetime $486.6M/Wk 2 re-release

10.) Abigail (Uni) 1,641 (-997) theatres, Fri $330K (-52%), 3-day $1.1M (-53%)/Total $24.7M/Wk 4

Mother's Day helps of course, but definitely some much better holds compared to last week. Fall Guy's also a tad better compared to Lost City, so that's a nice feather in its cap. It's good thing for all these movies too, since I'm sure next week will probably be similar to last week with three new wide releases taking over things.

• Like 1

Twisters is probably the big wild card of the summer that could go either way and wouldn't surprise anyone. Aside from Furiosa, though that's been feeling like a potential underperformer for a while due to a question of levels of interest. 

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

why? Because of IF? It really depends on how many theaters it loses next weekend. I do think by Garfield it’ll start suffering and by Inside Out 2 it’ll be done, but to say it’s run is over is a little premature 

When Panda 4 opened, Migration was running at $2.5mil for the prior weekend and only managed an extra $3 million total gross after that. I think a lot of theaters are ready to ditch Panda 4 now that they'll finally have something else kid-friendly to reserve a screen for.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

IF should see a similar opening to the high $20M range of something like Wonder. Paramount's definitely been getting awareness for it out there and the early sales are promising.

The Strangers won't be the horror breakout this year is still waiting for but could match the numbers of the one from 2018. Back to Black is clearly looking DOA though.

Edited by filmlover

Posted (edited)

I feel like there's something of a coasts/interior divide on the appeal of Twisters. Urbanites don't get it but the Midwest is all for it.

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I feel like there's something of a coasts/interior divide on the appeal of Twisters. Urbanites don't get it but the Midwest is all for it.

Yeah the people in Tornado alley. Funny how that works. While the rest of us ask is this Insensitive to release.  I live on the West Coast and love the Original and hope this breaks out big. As long it respects the people who have to suffer through these natural disasters.

Panda 4 will narrowly miss 200m I accept it but can we at least get GxK to 200m? Two movies narrowly miss 200m is too painful to watch, especially after Bob missed 100m. 

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

To wit re Panda 4, closest theater still showing it is reserving three screens for IF next weekend. They're ready to move on I think.

I guess we will see next weekend. The weird thing is though, it’s been having really great late legs. By this point the previous 3 films kind of collapsed and didn’t have a one million dollar weekend at the same point Panda 4 is. I just think that’s an interesting thing to note. Obviously lack of competition is vital but I do think it’s a little more than that. In fact this film is now outpacing the original Kung Fu Panda by a lot. Obviously it won’t reach that films gross but that fact that it’ll only be 20 million or so away is impressive.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Panda 4 will narrowly miss 200m I accept it but can we at least get GxK to 200m? Two movies narrowly miss 200m is too painful to watch, especially after Bob missed 100m. 

Maybe, if WB decides to give it the double feature treatment with Furiosa or The Watchers over the next few weeks. 

Lmao what is with the doom and gloom in the thread. Is the movie not having an excellent $50-55 mil OW? It's a sequel without the main character from the last film which was decidedly depressing. A massive win. Also it's still hovering at/over 80% on RT.

A lot of you need to go outside

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I guess we will see next weekend. The weird thing is though, it’s been having really great late legs. By this point the previous 3 films kind of collapsed and didn’t have a one million dollar weekend at the same point Panda 4 is. I just think that’s an interesting thing to note. Obviously lack of competition is vital but I do think it’s a little more than that. In fact this film is now outpacing the original Kung Fu Panda by a lot. Obviously it won’t reach that films gross but that fact that it’ll only be 20 million or so away is impressive.

That's why I brought up Migration which also had really good late legs and was still trending higher at the time Panda 4 came out. At a certain point, having good legs isn't a compelling enough reason to keep a movie if it's not making that much money overall, and now that they won't be shutting out a whole customer demographic with a new kids movie coming out, they're more free to get rid of it. 

Edited by AniNate