AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | New attraction announced at DCA

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Just my rotten luck. Purchased tickets to see this with my family on preview night, but I get waylaid by medical issues. At least I helped the gross or something.

I hope you recover soon.

• Like 4

Saw CoCo this morning, a couple of observations:

1) The Frozen "short" isn't your typical 5-minute cartoon that runs before a Pixar or Disney animated movie. I clocked it at a solid 20 minutes, so long that at a certain point I thought they decided to dump CoCo and release Frozen 2 this Thanksgiving instead, LOL. It's OK, though a little on the PC side for me, but I doubt 53 year old men are the target audience for it, LOL.

2) CoCo itself grew on me. Started slow, after 10 minutes i thought "this is confusing, too Mexico-centric for USA audiences, and kind of a colorful mess". Then, just when that opinion was firming, the story took hold and the pieces fell in to place. For the next 1:30 minutes, i enjoyed it quite much.

A solid "B", or about 742/1000.

21 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Pixar movies that break to $300-$400M aren't just taking one set of an audience - they are 4 quadrant politically, too:)...

I just think it's the luck of the draw that Coco's going to be in the $200m range. I can think of a counterexample  to your 4 quandrant political theory.

Edited by cannastop

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-justice-league-wonder-thanksgiving-box-office-1202213755/

Disney/Pixar’s Coco in industry estimates is looking at an opening day of $12.5M (including last night’s $2.3M) as of this point, which is $2.6M less than what Moana chalked up a year ago. Right now, because it’s so early, both Coco and Warner Bros. Justice League are in a battle for No. 1 with an estimated $47M 3-day and $68M 5-day each. As we move along this week, it should settle down and separate between the two.

THR is predicting $70M right now for both films.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PNF2187 said:

Whoa, if Coco's budget is actually on the high end of the estimates ($225M), that'll make it the second most expensive animated film of all time and the most expensive Pixar of all time.

Of all the Pixar films this decade that Disney would allow such a huge budget, Coco by far seems the most perplexing. Not sure how they comfortably justified that  price tag given there was no reason to ever expect much more than 500m WW for this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Of all the Pixar films this decade that Disney would allow such a huge budget, Coco by far seems the most perplexing. Not sure how they comfortably justified that  price tag given there was no reason to ever expect much more than 500m WW for this. 

Pixar's culture is large budgets, no matter what the idea.

1 minute ago, druv10 said:

I saw it earlier today, A+. WOM is going to be insane on it. I Can easily see it having phenomenal legs and reach 300M+. 

Yay! I've definitely been highly skeptical on whether or not this would or could do well, but I'm happy to hear it sounds like we could finally have a real animated hit in this awful year for the medium. 

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

2016 spoiled us.

Nontheless, that doesn't make it acceptable that the medium took a giant dump on us this year with the likes of Boss Baby, Emoji, Cars 3, DM3, Ninjago, and the Nut Job 2. Thank god for Lego Batman at least. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nontheless, that doesn't make it acceptable that the medium took a giant dump on us this year with the likes of Boss Baby, Emoji, Cars 3, DM3, Ninjago, and the Nut Job 2. Thank god for Lego Batman at least. 

Did you watch all of those? I didn't watch any of those movies you listed, even Lego Batman.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Did you watch all of those? I didn't watch any of those movies you listed, even Lego Batman.

I've seen them all except Nut Job, though I still feel completely assured in saying that movie is crap. DM3 was mildly enjoyable, but one of Illumination's weakest. Not Minions/Lorax bad though thankfully. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I've seen them all except Nut Job, though I still feel completely assured in saying that movie is crap. DM3 was mildly enjoyable, but one of Illumination's weakest. Not Minions/Lorax bad though thankfully. 

Is it bad that the most enjoyable part of the DM3 for me was the Minions? I'm not saying that their subplot was amazing as a whole, but I found it to be the lesser of the evils of that film.

As for Coco, I'm probably seeing it next weekend and I hope it's just as good as most people say it is. Pixar has been a bit of a let down for me these past few years.