AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

So, there are a few things i've noticed this OW about people's reactions to the film:

- I've known about people that carry a package of Kleenex because everyone talks about how emotive the final act is.

- One of the few things most people are complaining about is the Frozen short, for people in here Olaf is like Jar Jar Binks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Coco per rival estimates is looking at opening to $65M over five days.

That's around the high end of what The Good Dinosaur was tracking at before that came out, which isn't too bad and this is certainly closer to what Tangled made during its 5-day, although it's a good bit lower than the $75M Moana was tracking for before release.

This number could go either way by the time it releases, but assuming this number stays put:

A disastrous TGD multiplier (2.22x) takes this to $144M

An pretty solid Moana multiplier (3.03x) takes this to $197M as @cannastop already posted

And a near impossible Frozen multiplier (4.28x) takes this to $278M

The Moana multiplier is most likely if early reviews are any indication, and I think that this could hit $75M 5-day when it releases.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Early reviews look nowhere near as good as they need to be for this to overcome its inevitable underwhelming opening. That 7.4 average this early on is really poor for a Pixar film.  Not sure it does much more than 150m. 

Yeah, Brave and Finding Dory bombed because they couldn't get an 8/10.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

Yeah, Brave and Finding Dory bombed because they couldn't get an 8/10.

What's with your jumping to assumptions that I'm hating on it? I just recently said in this thread that hopefully this would breakout. I'm just being realistic that the average rating is poor this early on for Pixar, because it is. Several of the reviews are already very mixed in spite of being fresh. It's also realistic that this will be on the low end of their openings based on buzz and tracking so far. Just hasn't had much of a marketing presence. It really needed top Pixar tier raves if it wanted to overcome that and open higher and/or be something really leggy. It doesn't look like it will have top tier Pixar reception at all from these first reviews. Again, just being realistic. A Finding Dory comparison on the other hand is about as unrealistic as it gets...

• Like 1

On 01/11/2017 at 1:21 AM, PNF2187 said:

That's around the high end of what The Good Dinosaur was tracking at before that came out, which isn't too bad and this is certainly closer to what Tangled made during its 5-day, although it's a good bit lower than the $75M Moana was tracking for before release.

This number could go either way by the time it releases, but assuming this number stays put:

A disastrous TGD multiplier (2.22x) takes this to $144M

An pretty solid Moana multiplier (3.03x) takes this to $197M as @cannastop already posted

And a near impossible Frozen multiplier (4.28x) takes this to $278M

The Moana multiplier is most likely if early reviews are any indication, and I think that this could hit $75M 5-day when it releases.

Yeah, i think now that Ragnarok comes out, Disney will focus more on Coco marketing

It could up $10M more from that $65M tracking

Still thinking $ 200M total in USA, + $ 500M worldwide

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

RT update

93%
Average Rating: 7.9/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 13
Rotten: 1

It's basically following the trajectory of Dory at this point but with a higher average score. When Dory had 14 reviews it was 13 fresh, 1 rotten, with an 7.5/10 average score.

Edit: Also Moana was 100% with 14 reviews but its average score was at 7.8/10. That being said Coco still doesn't have enough Top Critics reviews to be warranted a Tomatoscore for that section, while FD had 7.3/10 and Moana had 8.9/10 with Top Critics.

This average score is inching closer and closer to Monsters Inc. (8/10) and The Incredibles (8.3/10) and its the same as A Bug's Life right now.

Edited by PNF2187