AniNate

Coco | Pixar / Lee Unkrich | Now playing | #1 all-time in Mexico

21 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

It's basically following the trajectory of Dory at this point but with a higher average score. When Dory had 14 reviews it was 13 fresh, 1 rotten, with an 7.5/10 average score.

Edit: Also Moana was 100% with 14 reviews but its average score was at 7.8/10. That being said Coco still doesn't have enough Top Critics reviews to be warranted a Tomatoscore for that section, while FD had 7.3/10 and Moana had 8.9/10 with Top Critics.

This average score is inching closer and closer to Monsters Inc. (8/10) and The Incredibles (8.3/10) and its the same as A Bug's Life right now.

Yeah, it's doing really good... much better than Brave / MU / The Good Dinosaur first reviews

WOM in Mexico is also great, hope this is a good sign of the future for this movie

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for numbers but this movie is a monster in Mexico. Sold-outs everywhere, taking-off screens to Thor: Ragnarok, people who have to go to even 4 theatres because there aren't seats available anywhere, ticket systems collapsed due to overwhelming demand. I really underestimated it.

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 15

1 minute ago, eXtacy2 said:

Its been one of the driest years for animation. Pretty ripe time for a kids family film. 

This.

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Why?

Animation has lack quality this year. If this play well in Mexico it should play well with Hispanic families in America. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carlangonz said:

$10.4 on second weekend, increase of 12%. In lc it's about $528M, soon will be #1 of the year and #3 animated all-time. Has a strong shot at dethroning Minions for #2 animated All-time.

It'd be amazing if the actual went up again for this weekend like they did during the last.

10 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

New Final Trailer Tomorrow and Lee Unkrich promised it won't spoil too much of the movie! :)

So I'm assuming this is going to be the equivalent to the First Time in Forever trailer that Frozen got about a month before release...

Also, if Moana's history is any indication, I'm expecting more American publications to start putting out reviews this week.

So i heard that in mexico theater chains are pulling Olaf's Frozen Adventure before people because the viewers didn't like it as much and they complained about the 21 minute length before coco cause that's what they want to see. See Here (Have google translate in English btw)

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/funcion/2017/11/04/1199061

I sure hope USA Theater Chains will do the same. 21 minutes of Olaf No thanks hahaha. Besides 21 minutes short - 1. too long - 2. That kind of length of a short should air on TV such as Disney, ABC, and Freeform channels.  Anyone else agree? :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Seth Irskens said:

New Final Trailer Tomorrow and Lee Unkrich promised it won't spoil too much of the movie! :)

Seems likely to be the equivalent to Frozen’s final trailer. Disney is putting effort into marketing this now that Thor is gone. I guess I was wrong to expect a TGD/Moana situation from this. Maybe Moana numbers isn’t so far fetched anymore. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Seems likely to be the equivalent to Frozen’s final trailer. Disney is putting effort into marketing this now that Thor is gone. I guess I was wrong to expect a TGD/Moana situation from this. Maybe Moana numbers isn’t so far fetched anymore. 

Was TGD numbers ever likely? This film has had no issues unlike TGD which had a troubled production not to mention the family competition apart from maybe Jumanji is super weak. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Was TGD numbers ever likely? This film has had no issues unlike TGD which had a troubled production not to mention the family competition apart from maybe Jumanji is super weak. 

Nah. I was always thinking along the lines of $170M-$225M for Coco but it seems Disney is putting in effort. Last year and the before the animated film got shafted in terms of marketing in favor of a Star Wars movie.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother said:

Nah. I was always thinking along the lines of $170M-$225M for Coco but it seems Disney is putting in effort. Last year and the before the animated film got shafted in terms of marketing in favor of a Star Wars movie.

I suspect Disney needed to promote the first Star Wars film in a decade and the first live action spin-off more whereas TLJ probably doesn't need the help this time around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seth Irskens said:

I sure hope USA Theater Chains will do the same. 21 minutes of Olaf No thanks hahaha. Besides 21 minutes short - 1. too long - 2. That kind of length of a short should air on TV such as Disney, ABC, and Freeform channels.  Anyone else agree? :)

1) They are saying that the Frozen "short" is only going to be attached to Coco for a limited time, so they're probably forcing it when it releases, but if it's anything like Mexico, they'll remove it after week 1

2) If I remember correctly it WAS originally planned to be a TV only special