Eric Prime

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) Spoiler Thread

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Posted (edited)

lots of fun, and there's one sequence that is as good as anything in Fury Road; however I would have cut the final act, simply did not like the way the demencius story ends up getting resolved, think the movie would have been better served had it ended as soon as furiosa physically transforms into the 2015 movie's character (and maybe have her taking the girls as a post-credit scene)

also felt like some of the later action sequences lacked a little bit of punch 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Posted (edited)

Good movie, enjoyed it, but that's the problem when you're following in the footsteps of a literal once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece. I knew we weren't getting another Fury Road, but I just wanted to feel some of that same pure joy and adrenaline I felt when leaving the theater for that, and I just didn't. Honestly playing Fury Road clips during the credits felt a bit like rubbing salt in the wound, like them saying "boy don't you wish the movie you just watched was this good!"

Hemsworth rules though. Kinda holds the movie together to be honest. And there's a killer war rig sequence that is as awesome as anything in Fury Road.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Liked everything about this better than Fury Road save the forced tie ins to Fury Road, especially tacking on the wives escaping from Fury Road. Ending with the tree of Hems would've been perfect. Completely unnecessary. Best Miller anything since Babe 2. No need to to show Max watching from a distance for a split second either. Those are minor gripes though.

Hell of an odyssey. Takes you all over the wasteland over a decade+ stretch. Loved it. Reminded me of Revenant a bit... But, better.

By the way, I do like Fury Road... A lot. Just preferred this one.

Road Warrior

Furiosa

Fury Road

Mad Max

Thunderdome

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

. No need to to show Max watching from a distance for a split second either

Well he wasn't  just watching. He saved her and brought to the citadel, no?

Edited by cinema pal

I like it, but I find it weird in some scenes and some CGI was very noticeable, like the first time Furiosa (as a kid) enters Joe vault of wives, one of them goes down the stairs and her legs are weird and like skipping frames. It's like for 1 sec there, but I noticed it. 

Overall, I liked it, but it is a bit stepdown from Fury Road. It's not the performances or the story, it just feels a bit weird. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, cinema pal said:

Well he wasn't  just watching. He saved her and brought to the citadel, no?

She wakes up in the cannibal's lair with all the maggots then ends up at the citadel, so if anything he dropped her off there but that's not really clear either. I thought it was more implied that the cannibal lady probably dragged her to her cave

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 1

B

It was fine. For full disclosure, Fury Road is the best movie theater experience I have ever had and I doubt I will ever experience anything better because it was magic on a big screen. Poor Furiosa is so flat in comparison for me. None of the effervescence, none of the fairy dust magic, nothing that elevates it to being something really special like its predecessor. Nothing major really to ding it for (apart from a comparison that I cannot help but make) except Chris Hemsworth is woefully miscast in this and tbh I feel maybe Anya as well. That final scene of the two of them didn't give what with should have. It should have been powerful but it was just...fine. Sums up the movie really.

Very good movie, a bit uneven with some of the acts being blatantly better than others. Dug the look other than a few points where the CGI was REALLY noticeable (the bits with the weird small war boy and furiosa shooting the rig were super off).

Main disappointment was the soundtrack.

Would probably rank it roughly on par with road warrior, it's no Fury Road.

14 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

apparently he's the villain of the "good but generic" mad max video game.

lol so weird to make him as prominent as he was because people who watch this before Fury Road will have no idea where he went 

It was interesting that we didn't see Joe's deformed dwarf son from Fury Road in this 

A definite exercise in cinematic style over screenwriting substance, but George Miller has crafted another professionally made return to the universe of Mad Max that's filled with astonishing set pieces that make this an absolute must-see on the big screen. Anya Taylor-Joy gives yet another strong performance while making us believe that she will become Charlize Theron, and Chris Hemsworth is clearly having the time of his life playing against type as a reprehensible figure.

It does run a bit too long and there's a lack of real tension due to the fact we know where it all ends up due to the existence of Fury Road, but it's an exhilarating theatrical experience that's much better than and undeserving of the "box office catastrophe" status that's looking to forever be attached with it.

B+

Posted (edited)

Hemsworth's performance is almost certainly going to be one of my favorites this year. He's so good here and clearly having a ball with the character. Dementus is such a great mix and charismatic and stupid, the guy is a total loser yet brutal and cunning enough to be dangerous. He has a pretty fun character arc too, becoming more pathetic and deranged each time we see him.

Anya Taylor Joy is solid but has weirdly little screentime, and just doesn't have the same commanding screen presence Charlize brought to the role (also really didn't buy her being able to physically intimidate Hemsworth at the end). It doesn't help that once she's introduced the film's ambition starts to get away from it and it feels like there isn't enough time for all the ground they need to cover. The movie glosses or completely skips over stuff that feels significant, i.e. no mention of Immortan Joe caring about his newest bride-to-be going missing after making such a big deal about her, Furiosa and Jack's mentor / mentee relationship, the 40 day war would've been awesome to see, the whole ending and Dementus's fate just felt abrupt and unclear. Like the narrator says she "takes away his voice" or something, she shoots him point blank in the back of the head, but then he's alive and then he's a tree idk wtf was going on there.

Still a good movie and enjoyed it, it just didn't come close to recapturing that buzz and high that I got from Fury Road. Would like to watch it again though. There's still a TON of cool shit, great action and kooky Mad Max characters that keep it fun and interesting.

Edited by MOVIEGUY

Posted (edited)

The soundtrack was actually quite disappointing - nothing memorable, and put me in the camp of not being a big fan of Hemsworth's performance. 

Edited by Noctis

Posted (edited)

Am I the only who didn't enjoy Chapter 3 very much? Most of the chase felt like it was shot against green screen with everything looking super fake and CGId, especially fire. Also that final climactic moment between Furiosa and Dementus is overlong and that tree conclusion is just ridiculous even in the context of the universe.

Edited by Firepower
  • Knock It Off 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Hemsworth's performance is almost certainly going to be one of my favorites this year. He's so good here and clearly having a ball with the character. Dementus is such a great mix and charismatic and stupid, the guy is a total loser yet brutal and cunning enough to be dangerous. He has a pretty fun character arc too, becoming more pathetic and deranged each time we see him.

Anya Taylor Joy is solid but has weirdly little screentime, and just doesn't have the same commanding screen presence Charlize brought to the role (also really didn't buy her being able to physically intimidate Hemsworth at the end). It doesn't help that once she's introduced the film's ambition starts to get away from it and it feels like there isn't enough time for all the ground they need to cover. The movie glosses or completely skips over stuff that feels significant, i.e. no mention of Immortan Joe caring about his newest bride-to-be going missing after making such a big deal about her, Furiosa and Jack's mentor / mentee relationship, the 40 day war would've been awesome to see, the whole ending and Dementus's fate just felt abrupt and unclear. Like the narrator says she "takes away his voice" or something, she shoots him point blank in the back of the head, but then he's alive and then he's a tree idk wtf was going on there.

Still a good movie and enjoyed it, it just didn't come close to recapturing that buzz and high that I got from Fury Road. Would like to watch it again though. There's still a TON of cool shit, great action and kooky Mad Max characters that keep it fun and interesting.

The narrator was basically showing all the stuff people say Furiosa did to Dementus before revealing what Furiosa told him she really did do to him at the end. Basically the first deaths are the hearsay about Furiosa's legend and the last one is what he claims comes straight from Furiosa's mouth.

Edited by JustLurking