kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Interesting that this is the 2nd time this year a Studio has tried to force one of their movies into a usually big Disney date and failed (The Fall Guy and Furiosa).

Don't want to sound the alarm for some folks but I think we're on the verge of a strong Disney comeback in the next few years. Specially in their prime dates.

20 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Well I guess I shouldn't be surprised  "Mad Max" in general never really lit the box office on fire.  It's not like "Fury Road" did gangbusters but 380 WW for an Apocalyptic Sci-Fi was a good result (Though the Budget was crazy).  It seems this prequel is in the same boat (Huge budget, average returns).  As for "Garfield", the Bill Murray Versions only did "OK" and the "Tale of Two Kiddies" dropped from the original.  So well see if "Garfield" can take more of this family audience before "Inside 2" and "DM4".   I honestly feel everything would be doing better if the release dates just switched:

Furiosa - Early May

Fall Guy/Garfield - Mid May

Apes - Memorial Day

It’s kinda funny that Apes didn’t take the early May slot and also conceded the Memorial Day weekend to Furiosa and Garfield, and yet it’s going to be the biggest movie of May. It got to avoid the “worst May opening in decades” headlines that The Fall Guy got, and it’s going to avoid all the comparisons to previous years’ Memorial Day weekends when The Little Mermaid opened to 120M and Top Gun Maverick opened to 160M.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

It’s kinda funny that Apes didn’t take the early May slot and also conceded the Memorial Day weekend to Furiosa and Garfield, and yet it’s going to be the biggest movie of May. It got to avoid the “worst May opening in decades” headlines that The Fall Guy got, and it’s going to avoid all the comparisons to previous years’ Memorial Day weekends when The Little Mermaid opened to 120M and Top Gun Maverick opened to 160M.

Funny people had a lot to say about "TLM" but that MD Holiday Opening is looking like Gold right now.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

Hot take: I know that the script for Furiosa had been in the works for decades and Miller's way more passionate over that idea than a direct Fury Road sequel, but I feel like Furiosa would have done way better if it had came out after a second Hardy-Mad Max film was released. That would have benefited way more from the goodwill of Fury Road, made the franchise more popular and relevant, and then would have made people more eager to see a Furiosa prequel that has none of the actors people are familiar with.

This whole situation is basically like when Lego Batman came out before Lego Movie 2.

• Like 6

Just now, Eric Furiosa said:

Hot take: I know that the script for Furiosa had been in the works for decades and Miller's way more passionate over that idea than a direct Fury Road sequel, but I feel like Furiosa would have done way better if it had came out after a second Hardy-Mad Max film was released. That would have benefited way more from the goodwill of Fury Road, made the franchise more popular and relevant, and then would have made people more eager to see a Furiosa prequel that has none of the actors people are familiar with.

This whole situation is basically like when Lego Batman came out before Lego Movie 2.

I agree. This really needed a sequel to Fury Road to have a chance establish itself and have a chance to be big enough to be able to spawn a prequel. 

It's like if we had a Sisterhood prequel movie  or whatever after Dune instead of Dune: Part 2. I can tell you how that would have gone.

1 minute ago, filmscholar said:

Funny people had a lot to say about "TLM" but that MD Holiday Opening is looking like Gold right now.  

Alas, none of us can be as awesome as Halle 😎

for-gl-vemee-chloe-x-halle.gif

• Like 4

So, Furiosa obviously might be a flop. No matter how good it is. It's a very expensive movie. Mad Max isn't even a insanely huge IP. It's madness spending 200 million for this kind of movie. 

There won't be another Mad Max flick, unless Miller goes on full "Copolla mode" and tries to invest on his own movie, lol.

5 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, Furiosa obviously might be a flop. No matter how good it is. It's a very expensive movie. Mad Max isn't even a insanely huge IP. It's madness spending 200 million for this kind of movie. 

There won't be another Mad Max flick, unless Miller goes on full "Copolla mode" and tries to invest on his own movie, lol.

Well as I have said about too many movies lately I hope I enjoy it. Not anything I can do about the financials of it. That's their problem.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I was not following the box office at the time, but I don't think Lego Batman would have benefited from Lego Movie 2 coming out before it? Feel like Lego Batman did as well as it could.

IIRC, there were tons of people on the forum who expected it to do as big as 300M+, just on the popularity of the first Lego Movie and the Batman brand alone. Which like...yeah, that was kind of stupid to expect in hindsight for a spin-off. And yeah, I guess 175M does sound right. Maybe it could have gotten to 200M Lego Movie 2 came out in 2017 and Batman came out in 2019? It certainly hurt Lego Movie 2 though, and will likely hurt a Hardy-led Mad Max sequel. By the time it dropped, it didn't really feel like the big direct sequel to a hit movie anymore.

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

If it's a good movie it can cost $1 billion for all I or anyone not directly invested in it should care

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Interesting that this is the 2nd time this year a Studio has tried to force one of their movies into a usually big Disney date and failed (The Fall Guy and Furiosa).

Don't want to sound the alarm for some folks but I think we're on the verge of a strong Disney comeback in the next few years. Specially in their prime dates.

I wouldn't jump so fast on that.

I mean, Marvel will have big success with Deadpol 3 in 2024, but they will have Captain America 4 (with Sam) and Thunderbolts for 2025.

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Love vague wording with recent preview gross announcements where I have no clue if it includes Early Access shows or not. Totally doesn't make things a headache to follow or predict. Nope. No siree.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

To be fair, people expected a lot more from a Disney remake movie.

It will be interesting to see how much Mufasa box office will be.

41 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Was Furiosa greenlit before Zas took over, cause I can't imagine him having greenlit this willingly.

God, what a shitty ass mentality. People get on me for being so down and negative, but when this corporate bean counting shit is the discourse every single weekend thread a risky movie opens somewhat disappointing, how can I not be? 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1