kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Garfield will have a huge jump on Saturday. People need to chill.

Garfield  this weekend will get a ig influx of kids..which will not happen for FUriosa.

I think, given it's much smaller budget, Garfield has a better chance then Furiosa of showing a profit.

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

You gotta conquer TikTok if you wanna conquer the box office now.

TitTok has become a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

Just now, thajdikt said:

Garfield is also doing solid business overseas so far aswell

Even if Furiosa makes more money in the Gross, I think Garfiled will come out ahead in the Net.

We all know the diffrence between gross and net profit, don't we?

Hint: Gross profit is not really profit.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

Edited by Speedorito

1 minute ago, Speedorito said:

I think Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya shouldn’t be here, they’re definitely not “new.” They’ve consistently had critical and commercial success since around 2017.

No, Timothee should be there because he's really cute.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

You gotta conquer TikTok if you wanna conquer the box office now.

Sony tried that with Madame Web problem was it was Madame Web.

Sony went after young women with Madame Web, with 75% of its $60M global P&A allocated toward social and Tik Tok.

Yep this thread is a happy ray of sunshine despite not having any actual friday estimates yet,. Can we time travel to 3 weeks from now when IO 2 opens and Bad Boys ROD is enjoying a strong second weekend as the father/son alternative to that more family/mother-daughter leaning movie. Or both movies struggle and don't break out in any real way to liven things up. The former is more likely but at this point can not rule out the later sadly.

17 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

The only good aspect of this is the If/Garfield duopoly disappointing will hopefully make people on here shut it with the FAMILIES ARE STARVED line for about a week.

It shows starving families for months then giving them movies on back to back w/e is dumb.   Still,  this w/e families will spend about $45m over the 3 day and $60m over the 4 day on IF & Garfield.   Money they wouldn't have spent on Furiosa or on the 34th w/e of KFP4.  Also, just maybe they should make better movies for families if they want more box office than that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YM! said:

In fairness to Charlie he has stated many times on the thread that it’s possible for high ATP being a culprit, so did Keyser. Sometimes you get an overprediction or two but it happens. That’s like saying we can’t have early DHD estimates.

Tbf I think “don’t open threads on early preview estimates, be they Jat or DHD” Is probably a reasonable policy. But if you’re going to start on one set of highly variable early nums I’d definitely keep allowing the other, and people do seem to like starting the chatter early even if they know nums can change

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Maybe some levity for this thread. I just posted this in the Classic Conversation thread, but what do people think of this list?

Alphabetical order: Austin Butler, Timothée Chalamet, Jacob Elordi, Paul Mescal, Jenna Ortega, Glen Powell, Florence Pugh, Sydney Sweeney, Anya Taylor-Joy, Zendaya

35 year old Glen Powell being a new “young” star is…a choice (I doubt a woman would even be considered for this list if her age didn’t begin with number less than 3).

Paul Mescal feels like he’s in the same category as Saoirse Ronan: indie darling but with no commercial success to back them. Putting him here before Gladiator II seems presumptuous. Ronan also tried the commercial route.

I like Jenna Ortega but putting her on here seems early. Wednesday was huge though and I think she has potential.

Jacob Elordi, a supporting actor in Saltburn, is on the list, but not Barry Keoghan, the lead?

Tom Holland needs better projects

Fun stats: 2 MCU actors, 5 Dune actors, 3 Euphoria actors.

List is....very white. And I'm not even saying that to be woke or PC or whatever the fuck the buzz word is now, it's just that 1990-2020 was a hugely lucrative time for black leads (mostly men) and it's weird that none of these are black men. Especially given how black audiences have returned to theaters more than white audiences and propelled a couple of the surprise hits. I'd buy Damson Idris or Daniel Kaluuya or even Bridgerton guy over alot of these people, not to mention Michael B Jordan, who is barely older than Glenn Powell.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It shows starving families for months then giving them movies on back to back w/e is dumb.   Still,  this w/e families will spend about $45m over the 3 day and $60m over the 4 day on IF & Garfield.   Money they wouldn't have spent on Furiosa or on the 34th w/e of KFP4.  Also, just maybe they should make better movies for families if they want more box office than that.

If they can hold out for "better" movies they aren't "starved".

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

If they can hold out for "better" movies they aren't "starved".

Maybe 50% were starved and the rest are just hungry or peckish and can wait for better  before they blow $100 or so on a family outing.  Still doesn't mean that the market place didn't under serve a key demographic and made stupid self sabotaging scheduling decisions.

Edited by TalismanRing