kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

8 minutes ago, Eric Furiosa said:

"if" is the big key word here. And those movies aren't looking too good either. We're probably going back to 2021 where audiences are too stupid to watch anything that doesn't have the Marvel logo on it. Oh well.

I think for now IO2 and BB4 are looking fine. I mean I don’t like the fact that they seem more walkup reliant and much prefer they’d be obvious sizable but as of right now there’s no warning signs outright to panic. I have faith those two will rebound and if not, there’s still DM4 and Twisters. And a surprisingly stacked holiday period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Belloni thinks theaters are going to flat out die tomorrow, this board looks positively optimistic compared to him.

Theaters will never completely die out there is still a niche audience that will see movies in theaters 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

A Mad Max movie with no Mad Max is a bad idea. 

I'm looking forward to seeing Furiosa on Monday, but a "Mad Max" movie without Max always seemed like a very risky bet. The trailers weren't really great either. I'm disappointed by the opening yet not surprised. 

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Can someone explain why that Empire City account on Twitter blows a gasket anytime anyone even remotely says anything about theatrical being in danger? It's not a normal disagreement, it's like FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING MORON YOU'RE A STUPID FUCK!!!! 

What's his skin in the game and why does he care that much? 

Most around here think he is a theater manager or owner or something I think.

• Like 1

I might just be inhaling copium but Charlie gave the Friday estimate much earlier than he usually does. It's still 6 PM in the west coast. Maybe it can improve? Even if just a tad.

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Furiosa on Monday, but a "Mad Max" movie without Max always seemed like a very risky bet. The trailers weren't really great either. I'm disappointed by the opening yet not surprised. 

Yeah i think we need to step outside the bubble. THE GA was not interested in this and never was. It sucks but it is what it is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I feel we all need to step  from this sometimes . It's not healthy for any of us. The GA do not give a shit about any of this. They are just living their lives and movies are not a big part of that right now. It is what it is. Movies will keep coming out and theaters will be around.  Did you enjoy Furiosa when you saw it today? That''s all that matters

god forbid a forum about the movie business talks about the business 

• Like 12

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Oof. This Summer has been off to a rough start. Looks like Marvel will get to position themselves as the “savior of cinema” just like when NWH came out. 

Marvel brand was able to prop up 2021 (1.36B out of 4.5B), 2022 (1.5B out of 7.4B), and helped in 2023 to a degree (1.05B out of 8.95B — the only moderately acceptable market-marvel gross). Even this year might chip in 800+ with all the sony shit, but will really be feeling the diminished status.

But one big movie a year and some flopping with 100M total isn’t really enough to be a big part of keeping the lights on like it would have been if they kept quality up and were cranking 1.5-2B/yr

Edited by Legion Again
  • Like 1

From the trailers Furiosa looked mostly like a recast Fury Road. And we already have Fury Road at home. Maybe the movie will differentiate itself from the og upon watching but the trailers did a very poor job of alleviating concerns about possible redundancy of the whole affair.

5 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

god forbid a forum about the movie business talks about the business 

Dude seriously. I am doing it too. Lighten up. I just mean we go way overboard with this doom every week and I include myself in that. There is nothing we can do about it.  

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I'm trying to find another hobby to distract myself

NVIDIA had a good week it seems

Yep. It's crazy when the pushback comes just for saying maybe we are all too emotionally invested and need to step back a little. 

42 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Yeah, I mean as good as Fury Road did with the Academy on how popular it was on VOD and blu ray. I don't think it ever had the cultural cache of say Into the Spider-Verse.

I still don't think that explains Furiosa opening to these abysmal numbers. This is the second film that a studio had faith in and backed hard this summer and it is still flopping, and this time it was tied to an IP people actually heard about. Time to press the panic button.

Dune 2, Civil War, POTA - maybe people got their fill of Dystopia this year.

I think the prequel came too late.  Should have been made 5 or 6 years ago.  And with Theron.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm trying to find another hobby to distract myself

NVIDIA had a good week it seems

Please don't.  When I remember I bought it when it was under $3 and sold it for a mere 20%  profit...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know anything about "theaters dying", but Civil War got a great performance domestic and worldwide for a A24 flick.

Furiosa's performance isn't surprising. A Mad Max movie without Mad Max was always being a tough and risky bet. Movie might be amazing, but it's not clicking with general audiences.

My veredict: Why would a studio spend 200 million in a Mad Max movie without Mad Max? Studios really have to rethink budgets. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2

Could the movies be a bit backloaded this weekend and get a positive outlook by monday (obviously an holiday will effect it to do that) with Graduation activity, NBA Playoffs, and of course Memorial Day Activities. Unless it's a must see movie like Deadpool or Inside Out 2, then you not really going to get the best weekend for an holiday weekend like this probably. It is a bad weekend but when you look at the must see movies this summer then I think it could be balanced out and catch up with 2022 and not be that far behind 2023.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Please don't.  When I remember I bought it when it was under $3 and sold it for a mere 20%  profit...

I resisted investing for so long until the box office depression made me desperate enough for something else to refresh when I'm bored.

Started off with penny stocks but I've made $7 in the last month. Not too bad I think

32 minutes ago, Skim Beeble said:

I might just be inhaling copium but Charlie gave the Friday estimate much earlier than he usually does. It's still 6 PM in the west coast. Maybe it can improve? Even if just a tad.

You probably weren’t here in 2019 😛

• Haha 3