kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Okay how does any of that warrant calling people who do still go to the theaters lunatics?

Oh, I didn't see that they actually called people who see films in theaters lunatics.

I know I'm going against the grain by saying this, but bring me back my 3D showings. I want to see films in 3D. It's literally an experience I can't get at home. I get it, it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick that brought me into the theater more often than not!

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Oh, I didn't see that they actually called people who see films in theaters lunatics.

I know I'm going against the grain by saying this, but bring me back my 3D showings. I want to see films in 3D. It's literally an experience I can't get at home. I get it, it's a gimmick, but it's a gimmick that brought me into the theater more often than not!

Yep they did.  Also No thanks on 3D even IMAX depends on the movie. Dolby is becoming my favorite PLF.

• Like 1

I think 3d is still available for a lot of blockbusters... I mean Inside Out 2 has it.

As for IMAX, I only really want to go to it if it's a real 50ft+ (15m) tall screen. Dolby is OK though.

3D died out because studios wanted the extra money with none of the effort. The format makes a fuckload of money when Avatar does it because people know it's worth it, whereas they have learned to avoid the shitty last minute conversions of other blockbusters.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, AJG said:

I’m told that in America, at the time, the first Twister was really popular. I’m in the UK and, by the grace of god, I’m not an old man so I cannot verify this.

A realistically inflated gross for TWISTER would be ~$190 opening weekend, 725m total in US. It opened at 82% of the opening weekend record and had great legs. It CRUSHED the much more heavily media hyped Mission Impossible 1. The historically mega-hyped ID4 defeated it in 1996.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean 3D died for a reason, people stopped seeing movies that way.

Well, then, I don't owe theaters my time for depriving me of an experience I can't get at home.

I guess that's my frustration with theaters. You have to see a film on their terms, and over the years, those terms have gotten worse and worse. No enforcement of phone rules, they don't hire projectionists, concession prices have gotten crazy so if I choose to buy popcorn, I actually feel more disappointed of the film I choose to watch isn't good, etc.

Watching a film in theaters will always be better than watching it at home from a visual standpoint. But being able to pee when I want, grab a snack when I want, pause and look at the details when I want, etc. That's more valuable to me than the modern theatrical experience. 

Although, as I said, 3D showings are my ultimate weakness.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

guess that's my frustration with theaters. You have to see a film on their terms, and over the years, those terms have gotten worse and worse. No enforcement of phone rules, they don't hire projectionists, concession prices have gotten crazy so if I choose to buy popcorn, I actually feel more disappointed of the film I choose to watch isn't good, etc.

I mean, in terms of 3D that wasn't their terms. Consumers began rejecting it so there was no point in putting so many 3D showtimes.

I agree that there should be better practice with phones and troublemaking audience members, as well as theaters prioritizing how things are projected and keeping the lightbulbs clean/upgrading to laser.

Posted (edited)

Netflix CEO: "My son watched LAWRENCE OF ARABIA on is phone. (Screen) size really doesn't matter. 😎"

What an extraordinarily stupid thing to say. 

3 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Yes like I said if Twisters is good if it's terrible like this  is then yeah it will bomb. The buzz is that test screenings have been good though. Yes the missing lead actor   thing but Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton were/are  no Will Smith in BO pull.

The comeback actor thing is weird though. If Helen Hunt pops up in Twisters a totally secret cameo, it will generate a response. 

Edited by excel1

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, excel1 said:

I think Maverick aside, Memorial is really not. great release date at this point, same with 4th of July (though that at least has summer week days coming up behind it). Millennials and Gen Z are such "experience" people compared to previous generations that half of them have travels plans for the weekend finalized months in advance, films are the last thing on their mind and are reserved for boreal normal weekends at home. The holidays now give major films  a real ceiling on high the film can go as the movie itself is clearly not the main event for most people. 

By contrast, early May and Mid July   are clearly more ripe for mega openers where the general public is looking for some excitement outside of the weekly routine. 

Quoting this for truth. I legit. think other than next year - MI8 even stays there - this is the last time we see a big budget film no memorial day for a while less its TOP GUN 3. The lesson is so obvious.

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Quoting this for truth. I legit. think other than next year - MI8 even stays there - this is the last time we see a big budget film no memorial day for a while less its TOP GUN 3. The lesson is so obvious.

I think MI8 stays put. They want that IMAX money and considering Furiosa did good in IMAX this weekend, i think it's a good decision

Posted (edited)

Cannes is starting to become a curse. Last year Dial of Destiny and Elemental premiered at Cannes and got mixed reviews. Their RT scores were able to bounce back a bit and Elemental was able to leg out. This year Furiosa got great reviews and won’t even make half of Dial of Destiny’s gross.

Also SXSW with D&D and The Fall Guy

Edited by Speedorito

3D was available near me for specific films before my favorite theater closed, but I never utilized it because there was no added benefit...for me. I never felt like I was really "there."

It was a gimmick that became lazy and uninspired after a while. However, I say this as someone who wouldn't even need 4DX or even IMAX to enjoy a movie.

3 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean, in terms of 3D that wasn't their terms. Consumers began rejecting it so there was no point in putting so many 3D showtimes.

I agree that there should be better practice with phones and troublemaking audience members, as well as theaters prioritizing how things are projected and keeping the lightbulbs clean/upgrading to laser.

Thing is, I can get 3D showings if I travel 30 minutes north or south to a chain theater. Not only is it more of a hassle, but ticket prices are about a $1 more expensive.

Personally, the local theater I have access to kinda blows. And that's the thing. I don't live in a major city (My location isn't actually Hollywood). But if I want a better theater experience, I now have to plan my day around it to account for the extra hour of travel, if there's no traffic.

57 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I get that this is a box office forum, and that's great for discussing how likely we are to get a sequel, but when it comes to theatrical viewership, all that matters is "bigger number good."

Garfield may make money for the studio. Great. But if it doesn't make money for theaters, when the Garfield sequel comes out, there will be less screens for it to play on.

It's possible Garfield makes more money than Furiosa for theaters too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Techincally, these aren't the terms from theaters either, since they don't force people to use the phones or make trouble.

In any case, the lack of terms from theaters about these would be the issue.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

Techincally, these aren't the terms from theaters either, since they don't force people to use the phones or make trouble.

I mean they can control behavior, it's like one of the things a private establishment is able to do. Not the same as following a market trend and not putting showtimes for stuff that isn't selling.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean they can control behavior, it's like one of the things a private establishment is able to do. Not the same as following a market trend and not putting showtimes for stuff that isn't selling.

16 year olds who have to study for their Calculus tests after work are not going to police behavior. Especially in America where someone could flash a gun at you.

Edited by Speedorito
Words
  • Like 4