kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

It isn't talked about enough, but the early 2000s had some summers/years that were absolutely incredible to anticipate & follow as box office fan. 2001 is of course the king, but 2003 was good 2004 was a 2001-like god summer line up, May 2006 was loaded, and good god, May 2007 was otherworldly stacked. 

Was a very, very, very good time to be in the theater-owning business.

2001? Wasn't '02 much more anticipated with Spider-man & Star Wars?

I remember '04 was completely ridiculous. Absolutely loaded. Shrek, Potter, Spidey, many others.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

2001? Wasn't '02 much more anticipated with Spider-man & Star Wars?

I remember '04 was completely ridiculous. Absolutely loaded. Shrek, Potter, Spidey, many others.

55 minutes ago, Squire said:

Why was 2001 king? I remember that being a pretty lackluster summer. Mummy Returns, Jurassic Park 3, and Planet of the Apes were all easily forgettable. 

IMO, 2000, 2002, and 2004 were all way better years. 

01 absolutely had more projects with insane prerelease hype, which is what I was referring to. It shows in the runoff mega openings from Hannibal > Mummy > Pearl Harbor > Jurassic Park > Apes > Rush Hour > Harry Potter > LOTR while sleep smashes like Shrek and Ocean 11 were there.

02 was great but not comparable to 2001. 04 was big but not 'record challenging' like 01 where 5 films opened in the top 3 opening weekends ever.

20 minutes ago, excel1 said:

01 absolutely had more projects with insane prerelease hype, which is what I was referring to. It shows in the runoff mega openings from Hannibal > Mummy > Pearl Harbor > Jurassic Park > Apes > Rush Hour > Harry Potter > LOTR while sleep smashes like Shrek and Ocean 11 were there.

02 was great but not comparable to 2001. 04 was big but not 'record challenging' like 01 where 5 films opened in the top 3 opening weekends ever.

I guess 2002 and 2004 were better at actually delivering on the hype, then. Lol

Lot for forgettable movies from 2001, save for LotRs, Shrek, HP, and Oceans 11. 

• Like 1

Just now, Squire said:

I guess 2002 and 2004 were better at actually delivering on the hype, then. Lol

Lot for forgettable movies from 2001, save for LotRs, Shrek, HP, and Oceans 11. 

Films quality wise, a mixed back. I was referring to the prerelease buzz and anticipation that accompanied being a box office follower. Imagine sitting in March 2001 staring at murderers row coming up over the next few months. It was great. 

Posted (edited)

Oppenheimer and Dune being smashes is still not enough to put this nonsense to bed? Meanwhile a certain “fun and breezy!” Movie ended up becoming one of the biggest bombs of all time.

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Oppenheimer and Dune being smashes is still not enough to put this nonsense to bad? Meanwhile a certain “fun and breezy!” Movie ended up becoming one of the biggest bombs of all time.

I understand that Mad Max Fury Road was a Best Picture nominee, but calling Furiosa a prestige film would be like calling Top Gun 3 a prestige film. Like technically, I guess, but not really.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Oppenheimer and Dune being smashes is still not enough to put this nonsense to bed? Meanwhile a certain “fun and breezy!” Movie ended up becoming one of the biggest bombs of all time.

Oppenheimer and Dune are epics though. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Oppenheimer and Dune are epics though. 

GOTG 3 was 2 and a half hours and it was a big hit. Across the Spiderverse was the longest Western animated film ever at 2 hours and 20 minutes and it was a smash

audiences don’t have short attention spans like complainers on Twitter who cry about films all needing to be 90 minutes have

Edited by John Marston
  • Thanks 1

I’ve still never seen the directors cut of Troy. 

Have heard the extra footage is excellent, but the temp score of much of it removes some of the best sounding sequences from the theatrical. 

Garfield not doing well at least points out how crappy the FAMILIES ARE STARVING point that was popular on here forever was. Like I get it's depressing when good movies don't do well but there's about a million things you can do with kids for Memorial Day that are cheaper than taking them to a BAD kids movie.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve still never seen the directors cut of Troy. 

Have heard the extra footage is excellent, but the temp score of much of it removes some of the best sounding sequences from the theatrical. 

It's great. TC is 7/10 for me, maybe 8/10 now because nobody makes these movies anymore. However, DC I always felt is so much better, I watch it twice a year.

And Alexander is the same. TC was maybe 6/10 at best for me but Revisited is genuinely fantastic, strong 9/10.

1 hour ago, Alexander said:

It's great. TC is 7/10 for me, maybe 8/10 now because nobody makes these movies anymore. However, DC I always felt is so much better, I watch it twice a year.

And Alexander is the same. TC was maybe 6/10 at best for me but Revisited is genuinely fantastic, strong 9/10.

Excellent. I’ll pick it up. Might watch them both back to back. 20 years, where did that go?  Surprised we haven’t had a 4K release of it this year 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Marston said:

GOTG 3 was 2 and a half hours and it was a big hit. Across the Spiderverse was the longest Western animated film ever at 2 hours and 20 minutes and it was a smash

audiences don’t have short attention spans like complainers on Twitter who cry about films all needing to be 90 minutes have

I heard hardly any complaints about Endgame being 3hrs either 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 9:49 PM, thajdikt said:

Interesting seeing the reaction to Furiosa bombing on social media. People are really overreacting to this. A dude genuinely asked if Barbie is going to be the last billion movie, like ever… lol people are losing their mind 

With a movie like Dune make $711M or Godzilla x Kong making $564M it is a strange think to say. If Dune can make $711M, obviously the 1 billion is still reachable.

Apes just did a 60 millions opening this very month (about the same has Rise or War did int he past..).

Edited by Barnack

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is a good point about shrinking audiences in cinemas, might be one of the many "death by a thousand cuts". Discretionary spending is always the first to go

Cinema historically being really cheap tend to be the last (even helped by recession sometime in the past, when people turn into cheap movie theater night instead of something expensive)

Gaming spending is up by a giant amount versus pre-pandemic number, it is captured by the fortnite-roblox-call of duty and couple of never ending game of that sort, changing how people consume video game and where the money goes, instead of buying new one they play old games.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252457/consumer-spending-on-video-games-in-the-us/

Spending went into lootbox, skins of those free to play games that goes on for decades and less on the $70 new AAA single games, hitting those studios in that business model.