kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers [June 3-6, 2024] | Thursday | 1.53M GARFIELD | IF | 0.73M FURIOSA | APES

27 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Great hold for Garfield , this hold this weekend will be pretty interesting

If it isn't for IO2, I would even start speculating the 100m chance for Garfield. 

Non premium tickets are $20 a pop, popcorn 10 bucks a bucket, soda another 6-8 dollars, and they're wondering why movie theaters are dying. And getting slaughtered by streaming and other social media apps. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Becker said:

Non premium tickets are $20 a pop, popcorn 10 bucks a bucket, soda another 6-8 dollars, and they're wondering why movie theaters are dying. And getting slaughtered by streaming and other social media apps. 

Yup. Price is a huge issue. From what I can tell the interest in going to movies is still there from a decently large group of people but the price is just turning them away most times. I'm a massive movie goer and even I have gotten so much more picky about what I go see. It shouldn't be like that. I hate saying to myself "I'll wait for that on streaming". 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Yup. Price is a huge issue. From what I can tell the interest in going to movies is still there from a decently large group of people but the price is just turning them away most times. I'm a massive movie goer and even I have gotten so much more picky about what I go see. It shouldn't be like that. I hate saying to myself "I'll wait for that on streaming". 

Going to movie theaters is too expensive these days. I've now have changed to seeing movies exclusively on Discount Tuesdays.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Going to movie theaters is too expensive these days. I've now have changed to seeing movies exclusively on Discount Tuesdays.

Although not quite exclusively (ie. I'll see a couple movies lile Deadpool & Wolverine, Gladiator 2 and such on opening night), this is the change I've made lately too. It still allows me to see a decent amount of movies.

• Like 1

For me personally I try and see 60 or so films in cinemas every year. Works out at an average of 5 a month, so £50 ($65) a month if I was buying tickets full price.

I have a monthly Odeon pass that costs £14.99 and I can see as many films as I want, so in theory that £50 is £15.  Although I do pay an uplift for IMAX screenings (that’s around £6 a movie) 

The ‘unlimited’ memberships in U.K. cinemas seem much better integrated into moviegoing here than in the US. 

Sometimes I go to a boutique where the seats are around £15, but you get good service, sofas etc - so it’s nice for a treat for the right film that doesn’t need a massive IMAX screen. 

Overall, I see it as decent value all round and I can mix and match my pass with PLF uplifts and still find it affordable. 

I get that for families it’s more expensive again, and you have to think about food and drink etc when you’re in there.  The theatre drinks and snacks could do with coming down in price. 

For me going to the movies is my thing I love the most, and I don’t see this kind of spend a month as extortionate when people are paying upwards of $60 for one videogame. 

It definitely could be cheaper, and I do understand why people are starting to question the value when they can stay at home and watch a streamer for 10 bucks a month.  Streaming prices for what you get have almost thrown out of whack what people think you should pay to see one movie.  Just like what happened to music when the new generation can now get all the music in the world for £10 a month. I paid more than that for one album a month on CD in the 90’s - and thought it was worth it! 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

For me personally I try and see 60 or so films in cinemas every year. Works out at an average of 5 a month, so £50 ($65) a month if I was buying tickets full price.

I have a monthly Odeon pass that costs £14.99 and I can see as many films as I want, so in theory that £50 is £15.  Although I do pay an uplift for IMAX screenings (that’s around £6 a movie) 

The ‘unlimited’ memberships in U.K. cinemas seem much better integrated into moviegoing here than in the US. 

Sometimes I go to a boutique where the seats are around £15, but you get good service, sofas etc - so it’s nice for a treat for the right film that doesn’t need a massive IMAX screen. 

Overall, I see it as decent value all round and I can mix and match my pass with PLF uplifts and still find it affordable. 

I get that for families it’s more expensive again, and you have to think about food and drink etc when you’re in there.  The theatre drinks and snacks could do with coming down in price. 

For me going to the movies is my thing I love the most, and I don’t see this kind of spend a month as extortionate when people are paying upwards of $60 for one videogame. 

It definitely could be cheaper, and I do understand why people are starting to question the value when they can stay at home and watch a streamer for 10 bucks a month.  Streaming prices for what you get have almost thrown out of whack what people think you should pay to see one movie.  Just like what happened to music when the new generation can now get all the music in the world for £10 a month. I paid more than that for one album a month on CD in the 90’s - and thought it was worth it! 

Yeah see that's the problem. Cineplex offers nothing like that or A list here in Canada. The best they do is Come Club, which is practically nothing. The best thing about it is the 20% off concessions.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Yeah see that's the problem. Cineplex offers nothing like that or A list here in Canada. The best they do is Come Club, which is practically nothing. The best thing about it is the 20% off concessions.

we also have 2 for 1 on all movies with a widely available code on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 

The UK box office has always punched above its weight in Europe, considering our size relatively to Germany/France etc. It’s clear our ticket pricing model has been a success so it is incredible to us it’s not mirrored in the same way stateside/Canada. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

I have to say A-List really has been the ONLY reason my husband and I go to the movies as frequently as we do now. We're far less picky since it eliminates the decision of "do I want to spend money seeing this?" I suppose we're gambling that there will be a consistent schedule of quality content for us to book each week, but so far we've seen 27 films this year for $125 (5 months of $25/mo membership), so we've definitely gotten our money's worth. We've also been to a handful of the AMC Screen Unseen mystery movies they have on Monday nights and watched a number of films in the theater we otherwise wouldn't have. If this type of moviegoing were around when I was in my teens and 20's I would have lived at the theater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

OT: So I finally decided to watch some of the 2024 movies I missed on streaming.

First up was Madame Web.  Oh dear.  I think the intro was the worst 8 minutes I've ever seen in a supers movie, and possibly in any movie.  The rest of this movie reminded me of F4 - let's have an entire movie about superheroes and never have them actually be super - I'm sure fans will love that.  And then, the "Scooby Gang" with villain resolutions that you read Scooby and Shaggy pulling off in the comics, except it's a serious movie.  Sigh.

I am gonna take back one criticism of the trailers.  I don't think Dakota Johnson was that bad in this role.  It was such an awful role, and she did the best she could.

Overall, I thought about giving this an F, but I did finish it and didn't get angry, but more amused (the stolen taxi - how long could a taxi with its number ON TOP OF THE CAB stay stolen?), so let's say D-.

That seems fair...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Becker said:

Yep, especially for families. I'm not quite sure how movie theaters can keep up at this rate with streaming, gaming, and social media.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yep, especially for families. I'm not quite sure how movie theaters can keep up at this rate with streaming, gaming, and social media.

studios/theaters are pricing out middle class families , some may be thriving in this economy, but have not seen this discrepancy in 20+ years

• Like 3