Eric is Anxious

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

This summer definitely seems lacking as far as non-IP based stuff with potential broad appeal is concerned. I'm going to see Fly Me to the Moon and hope it does well (depending on the budget of course, being an Apple title it was likely another expensive loss leader), but I get the sense the plot is a little too weird and "poking the bear" (for even running with the concept that the Moon Landing was fake when obnoxious conspiracy theorists and their gullible followers tend to be highly visible in the media these days) despite the appealing combo of ScarJo and Channing. Maybe It Ends With Us can become another Where the Crawdads Sing, though dealing with a heavy topic might also limit its appeal.

2 minutes ago, Legion Again said:

Okay, gonna be honest here -- I had no idea Borderlands even existed until I got the trailer for it last night but it looked... passable entertaining?

Β 

Also didn't know about Wild Robot before that seemed likewise likely to be okayishΒ 

lol what was Borderlands doing playing in front of a kids movie?

11 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Putting Brave that low is criminal. You're both arrested.

They fucked over Chapman’s vision tho.

1 minute ago, Legion Again said:

Β 

Also didn't know about Wild Robot before that seemed likewise likely to be okayishΒ 

Β 

It's based on a fairly popular book, Chris Sanders (HTTYD/Lilo and Stitch) is directing it, and everyone at Dreamworks seems very high on it. I think it's got a legit awards shot and the only competition it has for nearly two months after release is that lego Pharrell movie, so think it could make bank at the box office.

A lack of competition after release matters more than a movie that comes before it. That's been made very evident the last few years for kids films.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

lol what was Borderlands doing playing in front of a kids movie?

It seemed like a perfectly kid friendly movie from that trailer cut. Is it, uhh... not?

Just now, Legion Again said:

It seemed like a perfectly kid friendly movie from that trailer cut. Is it, uhh... not?

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/27625/borderlands/#:~:text=During the course of the,be heard in the dialogue.
Β 

When a human or creature is decapitated, an effect resembling a fountain of blood will shoot from the neck for a few seconds and stop. Some weapons cause enemies to split in half, the top being separated from the waist. During the course of the game, characters make jokes about streaking, body parts, rape, and mothers (e.g., "…more busted than my momma's girly parts"). Strong profanity (e.g., "f*cking," "sh*t," "p*ssy," and "d*ckbag") can be heard in the dialogue.

Β 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Inside Out 2 and DM4 will both make 1 billion. But I thought families don’t like going out to theaters anymore? That theaters are too dirty and there are too many Β ads?

Β 

They don't like going for full price.Β  Disney finally gave in, and let the parent go almost free.Β  1st time ever for Pixar.

1 minute ago, Legion Again said:

It's definitely going for a PG-13. Sometimes movies with that rating cut kid friendly trailers to play in front of PG ones in order to reach parent eyeballs. Avatar: The Way of Water in particular had a recut trailer that took out all the shots with guns that played before family movies.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

July looks good, but the month I'm really interested in is September. Three movies that could do blockbuster numbers if all the chips fall right and could potentially light a fire for a 24 rally

Β 

Β 

Β 

My 11 year old is greatly anticipating September. He's super eager for Beetlejuice, is really intrigued by Wild Robot, and one of his friends is a big Transformers fan, so he's pencilled in that one.

Β 

As bad as the first five months of the year has been, I think 2024 will finish strongly that it should make people less anxious about the state of the industry.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

It's definitely going for a PG-13. Sometimes movies with that rating cut kid friendly trailers to play in front of PG ones in order to reach parent eyeballs. Avatar: The Way of Water in particular had a recut trailer that took out all the shots with guns that played before family movies.

I see.

1 minute ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Wait, holy shit, its based on the game franchise :hahaha:

Β 

Going on the context I had I figured it was just some original movie that shared the name πŸ˜‚

2 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Elemental was watched today and that is the worst Pixar movie ever. That will be my contribution for this thread.

Top 3 Pixar of the last 10 years (below the really great ones, Soul and IO1)

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Elemental was watched today and that is the worst Pixar movie ever. That will be my contribution for this thread.

Β 

Nah...if you're going with recent worst...it's Luca (there, I said it - that movie was SO boring).Β  And if you want overall worst, it's Cars 2 (although I never made myself watch The Good Dinosaur, so I'm not quite a completionist - that might be worse)...

Β 

For recent best, it's Soul.Β  For overall best, it's Toys 3 and 1, although Wall-E has moved up my rankings b/c the 2nd half, which I found so implausible at 1st viewing, is like not that far off reality now, so maybe I misjudged that half (b/c the 1st half is A+)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 2