Eric is Anxious

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

8 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

GQFV2HTXEAAY-fS?format=jpg&name=medium

Β 

I had a dream last night that this got a B Cinemascore, and everybody was freaking out, figuring out what could have happened.

Β 

You better believe when I woke up, I darted right to their website just to make sure :lol:Β 

I’m so old; here’s my beloved Pixar breaking expectations and back in the game financially and I can’t make time to see it this weekend πŸ˜” why must I be old

• Like 2

Just now, Blankments said:

I’m so old; here’s my beloved Pixar breaking expectations and back in the game financially and I can’t make time to see it this weekend πŸ˜” why must I be old

Β 

Blankments! Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

• Heart 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Β 

Blankments! Long time no see. Hope you're doing well.

Thank you I am! I’m engaged and had a big move but gotta come around for my buddies with the lamp

• Like 3
  • Heart 5

31 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Thank you I am! I’m engaged and had a big move but gotta come around for my buddies with the lamp

Β 

Congratulations on your engagement!

Β 

Animation Movie GIF by Disney Pixar

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

So is the box office saved? Do theaters have a future after all? Is there ... HOPE?

Victory shouldn't be declared until we get consecutive weeks of lucrative weekends in a row. One big hit isn't enough. That being said, this weekend is looking to be one of the best exhibition has seen in a long time, maybe in almost a year. Not only are we looking at a huge triple digit opening at the top, but also a drop below 50% for last weekend's overperforming victor, which is an indication that the new big tentpole won't be toppling everything like it so often does. As I've said before, theaters desperately need the money and the positive headlines to generate enthusiastic stock exchange reactions. Hopefully this really is the beginning of a road to recovery for the industry.

Β 

The one worry I do have though, is that between this movie and Deadpool 3, Disney could get back the leverage and the sheer dominance they had over pop culture before the plague, which, if you were there during the summer of 2019, is not a good proposition. Them being the only ones bringing in any money while everyone else shrivels up and dies would be a depressing sight. So hopefully their competitors will raise the stakes accordingly and actually try to compete, for the sake of a healthier marketplace.

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Let me just tell you rap music in Gladiator 2 trailer will kill any momentum it could have just like it did in Assassin's Creed movie trailer back when it was released. Peacock just released a trailer for Gladiator knock off series directed by Roland Emmerich and they also used rap music, and many people in the comment section already complain about it. Let's see how foolish and tasteless Paramount's marketing department is.

Β 

That is not why Assassin's Creed bombed, and Gladiator II is going to be a bust no matter what they have playing in that trailer.Β 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

So… 

Β 

13M previewsΒ 

51M FRIΒ 

56M SATΒ 

50M SUN

Β 

~170M OW? Seems kinda reasonable to me. Insane numbers, considering Pixar sequels tends to have pretty great multipliers, 600M finish is a real possibility.
Β 

There’s a case for this to win the year afterall lolΒ 

That is absolutely fucking insane, like a Jurassic World (2015) level breakout. Even if Avatar 3 was releasing this year, this probably would have taken the domestic crown for the year and if not it most definitely will beat Avatar 2 and most likely whatever Avatar 3 does in admissions. 600M with the DOM/OS split of the first movie would put it above Barbie globally.Β 

Β 

and in fact it can go higher

Β 

13+52+61+54=180*3.6=648 // could hit $1.5B globally no joke. $1.6B not impossible.

Β 

Wtf is happening bruh

Edited by HummingLemon496

Saw IO2 yesterday. I quite liked IO2 and it made me cry more than first. In terms of ranking, it'd probably one of the weaker 2020s Pixar but a solid 4/5 and around the top 15 Pixar. The best comparison for it is Dory, in that it's the Pixar sequel outside of Toy Story to come close enough to the original but are somewhat messy to hold them back and both really got me on a personal level for the way they handle themes. Was really afraid of it being a Turning Red redux as I think TR is top ten Pixar and was relived it wasn't.Β IO2 shines a lot in its humor and dynamics. The new emotions all work well together with Anxiety being a surprisingly effective antagonist and tbh think some of the scenes are funnier than the first, being probably second funniest of the decade behind Turning Red.Β 

Β 

Anyways haven't seen walkups and projection growth so exciting for an OW since Jurassic World. At first IO2 was looking like an $85-90m opener, then presale for opening week around 115-120m, and then yesterday it went climbing from 130m to 140m to 150m to potentially 160-170m. Incredible win for theaters and Pixar and could make a run for topping Mario as biggest post pandemic animation.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

That is not why Assassin's Creed bombed, and Gladiator II is going to be a bust no matter what they have playing in that trailer.Β 

Shitty first trailer was a turn off. The movie was terrible as well, but marketing didn't do it any favours and I remember everyone complained about it.

12 hours ago, Eric S'ennui said:

I mean I'm here thinking 50M+ would be impressive for Mufasa. Will certainly be an interesting weekend in terms of folks' expectations. :lol:Β 

Mufasa is more like a trash movieΒ 

Β 

I dont think so

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Shitty first trailer was a turn off. The movie was terrible as well, but marketing didn't do it any favours and I remember everyone complained about it.

Β 

Reddit comments section is not everyone. It just does not have general interestΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Let me just tell you rap music in Gladiator 2 trailer will kill any momentum it could have just like it did in Assassin's Creed movie trailer back when it was released. Peacock just released a trailer for Gladiator knock off series directed by Roland Emmerich and they also used rap music, and many people in the comment section already complain about it. Let's see how foolish and tasteless Paramount's marketing department is.

Using rap in Gladiator ads is just following tradition:

Β 

Β 

Okay, metal rap, but people also complained about it at the time (about the genre overall, and that Kid Rock songs didn't belong anywhere near a "swords and sandals" movie). Didn't stop Gladiator from being a big success obviously...

Β 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl