Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

I'm pretty sure TFA had the lowest 2nd weekend drop among movies that made over $150m OW. That would be -39.8%

Inside Out 2 just needs to make $93 million this weekend to beat that.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 3

Also I grew up in mostly black and Hispanic community and can confirm every single kid in school knew who fucking Woody and Buzz Lightyear were lol. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Movie would make 20m at the box office and then disappear into the fifth carousel of Hulu if it was released today. All those insanely quotable lines and images that have been a part of our culture? Forget it.

I am not even sure some Classic blockbusters would be big today. I was talking to a friend about Jaws and how it is one of my favorite movies in fact it may be my number one Spielberg movie. He's like the movie does not even have much action and is kind of slow. I am like yeah it does not need too. Audiences back then could handle that and had attention spans. Today's audience would be bored and it would bomb. Oh well done with the old man shouting at the clouds thing. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Are we really going to hang the future of the original movie on The Bikeriders doing only okay when it's reviews, while fine, indicate it's probably not going to be regarded as a classic in the future? :lol:

I'm going to see it but honestly pulling a double digits opening considering how "old news" the movie feels by now seems rather impressive on its own.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

I don’t understand why the Bikeriders was so extremely frontloaded

When you not only have multiple days of previews, but your main day of previews is nearly a full day (starting at 2pm) you will bring out a lot of audience there that's equal to a standard opening day.  It drives up a preview number by giving more chances for an audience to see it compared to when your only previews start at 7pm.

42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Pretty much every white adult cinephile film outside Oppenheimer, from bigger ones like Killers of Flower Moon and Napoleon to smaller ones like this, have shitty IMs nowadays. Kinda always meh legs too tbh. These used to be the leggiest adult films and now they all have Twilight legs. There's a hardcore cinephile crowd that will see them opening night and that's it, everyone else waits.

Yeah I honestly think this explains The Bikeriders frontloading pretty perfectly. 

The fact it didn't even hit Charlie's projections last night, which I already thought was a bit too frontloaded (1.45+2.85 = 4.3m vs 4.06m being reported today) is troubling 

Just now, filmlover said:

Are we really going to hang the future of the original movie on The Bikeriders doing only okay when it's reviews, while fine, indicate it's probably not going to be regarded as a classic in the future? :lol:

I'm going to see it but honestly pulling a double digits opening considering how "old news" the movie feels by now seems rather impressive on its own.

Honestly some people here are just biased towards pessimism, especially if it's their pet movie that's not doing well. I have a pretty good handle on who they are at this point and have adjusted my forum experience accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm also guessing The Bikeriders is pulling in a rather younger than expected audience for a period drama given how Internet Fave-y the cast is (in addition to Butler and Hardy, it also has Mike Faist coming off of Challengers in it in a supporting role).

2 minutes ago, XXR & Friends said:

IO2's massive performance has me very hopeful for Moana 2. IIRC, Moana was the most watched movie in all of streaming in 2023. I'm rooting for a Frozen 2 type run (domestically, at least.)

yeah there are some questions about Moana 2's quality given its history of originally being a miniseries on Disney+ and not having Lin-Manuel Miranda as a songwriter.

I don't think it will matter much though.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Honestly some people here are just biased towards pessimism, especially if it's their pet movie that's not doing well. I have a pretty good handle on who they are at this point and have adjusted my forum experience accordingly. 

Yep the BO is doing great. Bikeriders not breaking out should not  be leading to the doom cycle thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

yeah there are some questions about Moana 2's quality given its history of originally being a miniseries on Disney+ and not having Lin-Manuel Miranda as a songwriter.

I don't think it will matter much though.

Ahh yea as with all things, the WOM matters most. My disclaimer for all estimates is an expectation of "A" Cinemascore level reception.

Moana will be a hit I'm sure, but I do hope this means the family audience will now be more open-minded in general to animation whether it's original or IP, especially as it pertains to a certain movie coming out at the end of September.

48 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Having a bigger PTA than Poor Things is pretty exciting, seems to be riding the success of that film pretty well. I'll be curious to see how it expands next weekend into 500 theaters, and how it holds after that (especially since everyone seems to agree that it's even darker and meaner than Lanthimos's last two movies with Searchlight, and won't have an awards season boost).

KOK probably will have the great headlines about it´s PTA now and disappoint next weekend. 

At least from the reviews it sounds like a highly aggressive and alienating movie, unlike his hits The Favourite and Poor Things. I think WOM will be pretty bad. 

Still, i think it can try 15M DOM and probably that or more OS, which is still good for it´s rumoured 10-15M budget. And it also came out of Cannes with a prize, seems like a succesful smaller project to me.

Kind of Kindness posting a massive opening limited PTA and struggling to $10M total wouldn't be much of a surprise IMO. Even on paper it always seemed by far the least accessible of the Stone/Lanthimos collaborations.