The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

1 minute ago, budice said:

Disney already out with $101M actual for Inside Out 2 - 2nd Weekend

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/inside-out-2-box-office-highest-grossing-film-2024/

The box office achievement followed a massive second weekend for the film in which Inside Out 2 brought in $101 million domestically. That makes Inside Out 2 only the seventh film in history to make $100 million in its second weekend. It dropped just 35% from its a record-breaking opening two weekends ago.

Inside Out 2 also had the best second weekend ever for an animated film and the best second weekend percentage drop for any film to open over $150 million.

Jesus they're talking like us nerds in here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

That doesn't mean it's the only thing that can do well (or even that it's a 100% guarantee to). You don't have an Inside Out 2 without an Inside Out, and every franchise will eventually deteriorate if that's all they focus on. I definitely don't think the last desperate gasps of a dying studio are something to emulate.

That is the issue with disney they have some super popular well liked products but struggle to make new ones.  The issue is they oversaturate and drive their brand into the ground.

Even Pixar, I have doubts they can make a big original hit like Inside out 1 again.

Edited by Torontofan

6 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

That is the issue with disney they have some super popular well liked products but struggle to make new ones.  The issue is they oversaturate and drive their brand into the ground.

Even Pixar, I have doubts they can make a big original hit like Inside out 1 again.

To be fair, no studio can make new original hits, so it all evens out.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Well, you wouldn't know unless they keep trying. They've only gotten one real shot at it post-pandemic and it certainly wasn't the worst possible outcome.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well, you wouldn't know unless they keep trying. They've only gotten one real shot at it post-pandemic and it certainly wasn't the worst possible outcome.

Tbh if Elemental could do 155/500 with like the worst possible conditions and Soul, Luca, and Turning Red were not only better recieved but bigger streaming hits, makes me think they’d could have done numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand the idea that "they're never making another massive original" in regards to Pixar (of all studios) when they've already bagged a pretty successful one just last year, despite it being mediocre. It's just funny too because people were predicting they'd stop being successful altogether and now IO2 is doing what it's doing. That kind of definitive statement is so pointless.

• Like 2

Best thing to see with IO2 is its accelation to benchmarks against previous movies.

17th fastest to $200M behind Beauty and the Beast (Barbie was 14th, Incredibles 2 11th)

13th fastest to $250M behind Barbie (Incredibles 2 was 11th)

12th fastest to $300M behind Incredibles 2

10th fastest to $350M behind SW:RoS (Barbie 12th, Incredibles 2 13th)

likely to be 8th fastest to $400M behind SW:TLJ. Likely to make it to $400M one day faster than Barbie or The Avengers.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Nah, Nomadland is an actual great movie unlike Coda that is very clearly a TV movie worse than the foreign original movie

I didn't watch Coda, so idk, but it's hard for me to imagine it being worse than Nomadland which was barely a motion picture and not quite documentary, but it was boring as hell, the worst BP winner since 60s for me, it would've never won anything in any normal year with real competition, but it was lucky enough to be released in the worst year for movies ever.

Edited by TomThomas

I think it was masterstroke from Pixar to focus on Anxiety with all the mental health conversations going on.

If they want IO3 to do excellent as well , just add Love , Guilt and Depression. Another 1bn+ movie easily.

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I think it was masterstroke from Pixar to focus on Anxiety with all the mental health conversations going on.

If they want IO3 to do excellent as well , just add Love , Guilt and Depression. Another 1bn+ movie easily.

Yeah its a feeling people feel a lot these days 

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

I didn't watch Coda, so idk, but it's hard for me to imagine it being worse than Nomadland which was barely a motion picture and not quite documentary, but it was boring as hell, the worst BP winner since 60s for me, it would've never won anything in any normal year with real competition, but it was lucky enough to be released in the worst year for movies ever.

That was probably Crash imo

And while i totally respect your pov about Nomadland, i don´t think it won purely because of lack of competition. It won Venice, it got rave reviews everywhere and it´s constantly in lists of bests of the decade, it´s a very beloved movie.

Tbh despite the pandemic, the lineup that years was quite strong. The Father, Judas and the Black Messiah, Minari, Sound of Metal ... all great movies.

• Like 1