kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So how does the typical black audience percentage for horror movies compare to AQP Day One?

I'm trying to see if the Lupita factor helped at all.

I don’t know what it is for horror in general, but this is what Deadline said for Part II:

The audience was very diverse and more so than the first Quiet Place at 56% non-Caucasian vs 47% previously.  Diversity breakdown was 44% Caucasian, 28% Hispanic, 16% African American, 9% Asian, 3% other.

vs Day One:

A massive diverse crowd is showing up to the Paramount movie with 35% Caucasian, 32% Latino and Hispanic, 20% Black, 10% Asian and 4% Native American/other.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t know what it is for horror in general, but this is what Deadline said for Part II:

The audience was very diverse and more so than the first Quiet Place at 56% non-Caucasian vs 47% previously.  Diversity breakdown was 44% Caucasian, 28% Hispanic, 16% African American, 9% Asian, 3% other.

vs Day One:

A massive diverse crowd is showing up to the Paramount movie with 35% Caucasian, 32% Latino and Hispanic, 20% Black, 10% Asian and 4% Native American/other.

So it got a small minority bump.

That was helpful, thanks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So how does the typical black audience percentage for horror movies compare to AQP Day One?

I'm trying to see if the Lupita factor helped at all.

random horror films I had on hand - M3gan (21), Boogeyman (24), Nope/Us/Get Out (33/3238), X/Pearl (12/11), Candyman (37), Curse of La Llorona (11)]

la llorona's just an insane outlier on hispanic % so perhaps it's not a good comp. 

movio's data shows horror averaging 16 (up to 18% depending on subgenre) https://vistagroup.co.nz/blog/discovering-2022-s-horror-audience-10055
they see this as unchanged from pre pandemic norms https://vistagroup.co.nz/blog/movio-media-horror-film-box-office

so yeah, probably a bit higher but you can probably argue notability of the result either way. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Probably thanks to BoT ultra-optimism, IO2  holds this week is actually worse than I thought. Now it is pacing 7m ahead of Barbie at the same point of the run. 650m is still on the table but 700m is out of the question already. But even at 650m IO2 will already be the leggiest Pixar sequel since TS2. 

it’s not out of the question yet. We will get a better idea if 700m is impossible if it drops more than 50 percent with DM4. Top Gun: Maverick is probably not a great comp but how is it holding against Black Panther? 

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

That would be a pretty poor Saturday, right? It almost doesn't increase from True Friday.

Personally I was kind of expecting that. Horror movies, especially in the summer, aren't as inclined to jump big from true Friday. It's not like a Bad Boys that's going to jump more because of the wider appeal.

22 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Lupita is also largely considered Mexican by... other mexicans, so I wonder if that brought out more hispanics.

I don't think so. Many people likely don't know about Lupita identifying herself as Mexican.

The increase of latinos/hispanics in Day One compared to AQP 2 seems similar to other current movies increasing their latino/hispanic audience.

I really doubt it's related to representation.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Probably thanks to BoT ultra-optimism, IO2  holds this week is actually worse than I thought. Now it is pacing 7m ahead of Barbie at the same point of the run. 650m is still on the table but 700m is out of the question already. But even at 650m IO2 will already be the leggiest Pixar sequel since TS2. 

Eh upper range potential will always be a factor in these discussions. I didn't see anyone treating $700m as lock or great certainty. Sort of the same that happened with A2, very hard to fault the final result.

• Like 1