kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

On 6/28/2024 at 12:34 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah its 3.9 + 1.7.

That 1.7 is actually very strong hold, was thinking 1.2-1.3 pre release.

South Indian films are very previews heavy. SS Rajamouli’s next will have $8M+ previews I think for may be $20-25M weekend. WB is likely to distribute that in 2027 ish.

On 6/28/2024 at 12:44 PM, Krissykins said:

Thanks. Inflated prices might explain it. But I do wonder if that’s a box office record from previews to opening day drop. 

I didn't look at this one in particular, but in the past I've noticed that these movies get IMAX for previews only which boosts those even more. Not sure if that was the case this time.

(Haven't read through the whole thread to know if this was mentioned)

1 hour ago, Kon said:

That would be a poor Saturday for AQP, right?

It almost doesn't increase from True Friday. That seems pretty weird.

You are in the heart of the Summer now. Saturday increases are tough because people are on vacations so they can go on any day. Previews become a much higher share of OW for example.

5 hours ago, Kon said:

It's interesting that this movie has diversity, but Caucasian and Latino/Hispanic are the biggest audience.

I expected Black to be a bigger audience due to Lupita.

They were 20% which is higher than the percent of african americans at like 15% of the population. Still good

Well, I just got back from a long trip at the movies. Lol!

Anyways, A Quiet Place: Day One is thankfully going to make at least more than $50M this weekend and Inside Out 2 should get relatively close to $60M. We could see a battle for #1, but I do think IO2 will win unless Day One has a much stronger Saturday than expected. Considering those strong PostTrak scores, I would not doubt that for a second. 

Also, I definitely expected a bigger turnout amongst Black audiences, but those demographics are still pretty damn encouraging to look at.  

• Like 1

Just now, MightyDargon said:

Why do people on here assume any movie with a Black person in it is automatically a "Black Movie"? This is almost as bad as "Blue Beetle will overperform in Latin America".

I think in this case, it's more that people saw a lot of Black audiences go see someone like Lupita Nyong'o in a highly successful movie like Us, recognize her, know that she is great at horror, and want to see her in something like A Quiet Place: Day One. 

I don't know about some of the people on here, but I never referred to this movie as a "Black Movie." I just thought of it as something that might get a lot of Black audiences to watch it because it's main central star isn't just black, but someone they know and recognize in a lot of good stuff. 

58 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Why do people on here assume any movie with a Black person in it is automatically a "Black Movie"? This is almost as bad as "Blue Beetle will overperform in Latin America".

Right. 

Color aside, I enjoyed watching Lupita much more than I did John Krazinski (who has that useless likability about him that the Marvel Chris'es also have) and Emily Blunt (who I find so unlikable after that video clip surfaced where she grossly made fun of a waitress for her American accent and for being overweight. She had to publicly apologize to keep her Oscar campaign on track). 

Lupita is just a breath of fresh air onscreen. Hope this opening helps her land more good parts. 

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't think people assume it's a black movie because the protagonist is black. However, people seems to assume a black protagonist will attract black audience due to a big lack of representation on movies.

About "Blue Beetle will overperform in Latin America", that's a similar assumption that latino representation will attract latinos due to the lack of representation in USA media, but there is also a strange situation mixing Latinos inside and outside USA. 

I'm not sure how much latinos in USA look for representation in movies, but latinos in Latin America aren't really looking for latino representation in USA entertainment since they have latino representation all their life in their own media. 

Edited by Kon

35 minutes ago, Kon said:

I don't think people assume it's a black movie because the protagonist is black. However, people seems to assume a black protagonist will attract black audience due to a big lack of representation on movies.

About "Blue Beetle will overperform in Latin America", that's a similar assumption that latino representation will attract latinos due to the lack of representation in USA media, but there is also a strange situation mixing Latinos inside and outside USA. 

I'm not sure how much latinos in USA look for representation in movies, but latinos in Latin America aren't really looking for latino representation in USA entertainment since they have latino representation all their life in their own media. 

I think it depends a lot on the representation. Like with Blue Beetle it still took place in the United States, so it was more important to Latino Americans, but less so in the rest of Latin America. But when an American movie also takes place in Latin America, it tends to get a lot more support. Like with Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - since much of the movie was filmed in and took place in Peru, that was one of the movie's best markets in terms of box office (per capita anyway). Just like Coco, an American movie that took place in Mexico, was that market's top grossing movie of all time when it released.